T.o. Still Thinks He Can Play At 40

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10492337/terrell-owens-says-play-age-40

*Video/audio at the link*

T.O. still thinks he can play at 40
Updated: February 20, 2014
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Terrell Owens sees NFL players making the police blotter and shakes his head.

Somehow, T.O. was the bad boy?

"You look at some of the stuff guys are doing now, domestic violence, players killing players, just everything," Owens said in an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday. "You have so many guys with off-the-field problems, drug issues, alcohol problems and they're still given second chances and third chances. They're putting them in rehab and keeping them on the team. I never had those issues. It's disappointing."

nfl_u_owens_200x300.jpg

Nelson Chenault/USA TODAY Sports

Terrell Owens played his last NFL game on Dec. 19, 2010. But the five-time All-Pro wide receiver still thinks he can play at age 40.

Owens played his last NFL game on Dec. 19, 2010. But the five-time All-Pro wide receiver still thinks he can play at age 40.

"They brought up my age when I was 35, 36 and I'm still in just as good shape as I was then," Owens said. "Jerry (Rice) played until he was 42. At 39, I ran a 4.43 40-yard dash. You look at the number of dropped balls and the way guys are playing now and you can't honestly say I can't do better."

Owens was back in town as the honorary guest for a charity roast. It's been nine years since he was kicked off the Eagles in the middle of the 2005 season following a feud with former quarterback Donovan McNabb and a disagreement with management over his contract.

An older, wiser Owens says he made some mistakes in the past. But he also deflected some of the blame, too.

"With an agent at that time, just knowing what I know now, I may have been misguided," Owens said, referring to his former agent Drew Rosenhaus. "It may have been a tactic of an agent trying to leverage or maybe that's how he did business."

Owens fired Rosenhaus in 2012, replacing him with Jordan Woy. That hasn't helped him get another shot in the NFL. He had a brief tryout out with theSeattle Seahawks before the 2012 season. Now he has moved on to his acting career, endorsing products and doing whatever else he can to keep busy.

Still, he thinks he can contribute if a team called. He knows that isn't likely, either.

"No doubt there's not a question that I can still play," he said. "But perception, media portrayal is so negative. Anytime there's a rumor that a team is interested in bringing me in, there's all this media attention, and the negative things they have to say are more than the positives. It's not about what I can bring to them. It's about stuff I did 5, 10 years ago."

Owens had a lot of swagger and was known for his showboating style and outrageous touchdown celebrations. At times, he was a major distraction because he was outspoken. In his mind, that pales in comparison to things players get away with now.

"The way I carried myself, having fun, being passionate about the game, a lot of people misunderstood that as bravado, being flamboyant," Owens said. "Trust me, I had fun with it but they never knew the core of my makeup, my character. They based their opinions on someone else's comments. Why judge a person when you don't know the person?"

Owens ranks among the career leaders in several statistical categories and has the numbers to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He finished with 1,078 catches for 15,934 yards and 153 touchdowns. He is sixth in catches, second in yards and third in TDs.

Owens never won a Super Bowl, though the Eagles fell just short in a 24-21 loss to the New England Patriots in the 2005 NFL title game. Owens made a remarkable recovery following surgery for a broken leg and had nine catches for 122 yards in that game.

"That's something I did for the city of Philly," Owens said. "I wanted to play in the Super Bowl. I understand the fans here. They love you when you're here, and if you're not on their team, if you're not a Philadelphia Eagle, then you're not going to be liked and so I got that."

He'll hear more boos -- good-natured, of course -- at the roast.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
"You look at some of the stuff guys are doing now, domestic violence, players killing players, just everything," Owens said in an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday. "You have so many guys with off-the-field problems, drug issues, alcohol problems and they're still given second chances and third chances. They're putting them in rehab and keeping them on the team. I never had those issues. It's disappointing."

He so lacks any mechanism that is related to self awareness, he doesn't understand he got his second and third and fourth chance and blew all of them. Why would he think it's just off the field stuff lol. He is amazingly blind to what a turd he is and still won't take any blame.

What a loser.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm so desperate for Sam to have a reliable veteran again that I honestly wouldn't be against just bringing him into camp to see what would happen. The foundation of this teams character is so solid that I wouldn't be worried one bit. The only problem is, I'm pretty sure there isn't shit left in the tank. You could noticeably see a major drop off in his game last time he played, and I remember thinking he lost his edge. If he had any fight in him I'd be more inclined to say why not give him a shot.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm so desperate for Sam to have a reliable veteran again that I honestly wouldn't be against just bringing him into camp to see what would happen. The foundation of this teams character is so solid that I wouldn't be worried one bit. The only problem is, I'm pretty sure there isn't crap left in the tank. You could noticeably see a major drop off in his game last time he played, and I remember thinking he lost his edge. If he had any fight in him I'd be more inclined to say why not give him a shot.

Agreed, no harm in seeing what he brings to camp

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You two have got to be kidding around right?

Bring him in.......he can't play anymore and he proved that by being cut in his last camp and doing little in Arena ball or whatever he tried last, he is a complete and total turd and you wanna bring that to town lol....

C'mon guys.......that's just silly. That's a Veeck move.........betting most people won't get that reference!