T.J. McDonald is likely done with the Rams, but they have a guy on the roster that could replace him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm with you on this Brian Randolph matter, Jake.

I'm a pretty big Randolph honk, myself.

If his knee is recovered, he could well be our FS for a few years. Years that we can devote to improving our roster at other positions.

Don't fret. I think the doubters will soon come around to our way of thinking.

On a related matter, there are at least 3 (and maybe 5) current Rams that the doctors must be right about as the FO plans their FA and draft strategy...

Quinn
Gaines
Randolph
Havenstein
Higbee

All 5 of these players MIGHT be quality starters under the new regime IF they can be considered healthy. I can't overstate the importance of the docs being right about their respective health situations.

I suppose that FA and the draft will give us strong clues as to the doctors' respective health assessments.
Appreciate that haha! I am actually talking to him now. He is ready to prove himself and is excited to play in this new defense. He loves what Wade Phillips does with his safeties. I agree though on those guys. I think Gaines may not pan out but I think Havenstein will be fine, Higbee is going to be great and Quinn I think will avoid injury more as a stand up pass rusher.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I had kind of forgotten about this guy. He's going to be hard pressed getting back in time for Camp and such. At least he can get in the classroom.

I honestly think Joyner would look pretty good in that free safety spot. He is so lethal when the ball is thrown in front of him. When he has to turn and chase he can turn with the receiver but sometimes he struggles to keep up and he never looks back to the ball.

However looking back to the ball seemed to be an issue with our corners in general. Could all just boil down to coaching but of course we will see.

Like I have said in the past I think Wade will get football players on our team in a place to succeed.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I had kind of forgotten about this guy. He's going to be hard pressed getting back in time for Camp and such. At least he can get in the classroom.

I honestly think Joyner would look pretty good in that free safety spot. He is so lethal when the ball is thrown in front of him. When he has to turn and chase he can turn with the receiver but sometimes he struggles to keep up and he never looks back to the ball.

However looking back to the ball seemed to be an issue with our corners in general. Could all just boil down to coaching but of course we will see.

Like I have said in the past I think Wade will get football players on our team in a place to succeed.
Yeah you aren't the only one. I keep seeing this all over. Joyner to me can't leave his nickel role. He is going to be the Bradley Roby of the team. He can force turnovers, be vicious to the ball inside the numbers and of course he has the speed and twitchiness to cover the slants underneath.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Yeah you aren't the only one. I keep seeing this all over. Joyner to me can't leave his nickel role. He is going to be the Bradley Roby of the team. He can force turnovers, be vicious to the ball inside the numbers and of course he has the speed and twitchiness to cover the slants underneath.

I can see that as well.

There are other options too. Say drafting an outside the numbers guy and moving Gaines inside - a place where he was really good his rookie year. His health is pending though.

There is also the idea of bringing in a Kayvon Webster (Wade guy) that would man the slot. We will see how it all turns out. I know that our offseason is going to be entertaining just watching the new flavor that Mcvay sprinkles onto the team.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
They will likely watch him workout in the off-season but mostly tennessee tape.

Well, I'm hoping you're right because it would help fill a hole for sure without the use of any precious resources. Tough to think that they can rely on him becoming that though.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I can see that as well.

There are other options too. Say drafting an outside the numbers guy and moving Gaines inside - a place where he was really good his rookie year. His health is pending though.

There is also the idea of bringing in a Kayvon Webster (Wade guy) that would man the slot. We will see how it all turns out. I know that our offseason is going to be entertaining just watching the new flavor that Mcvay sprinkles onto the team.
Wouldn't be shocked if Webster was a Ram. I think Joyner needs to stay put at NCB.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Well, I'm hoping you're right because it would help fill a hole for sure without the use of any precious resources. Tough to think that they can rely on him becoming that though.
People said the same thing with McLeod who isn't nearly as athletic or strong as Randolph.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I just hope we don't draft Cooper Kupp. Would be a wasted pick he's basically Spruce.

A wasted pick? Really? Did Spruce get invited to the Senior Bowl? Was he drafted?

NFL Draft Scout had Spruce rated 40th out of 414 last year. This year, Kupp is rated 6th out of 427.

Mike Mayock has Kupp at #4 on his top 5 list.

Matt Miller's Big Board had Spruce @ #232 last year, but has Kupp @ 120 this year.

I understand where you would see that they look similar on paper, but don't you think you should ask yourself why the 3 sources above have such a vast difference in grade between the 2?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
A wasted pick? Really? Did Spruce get invited to the Senior Bowl? Was he drafted?

NFL Draft Scout had Spruce rated 40th out of 414 last year. This year, Kupp is rated 6th out of 427.

Mike Mayock has Kupp at #4 on his top 5 list.

Matt Miller's Big Board had Spruce @ #232 last year, but has Kupp @ 120 this year.

I understand where you would see that they look similar on paper, but don't you think you should ask yourself why the 3 sources above have such a vast difference in grade between the 2?
First lesson, I am not the mainstream media. I have my own opinions on players and laugh at half of the NFL networks mock drafts. Cooper Kupp is a JAG to me. I don't see anything unbelievable in him and I wouldn't take him over guys like JuJu, Chris Godwin, Zay Jones, Malachi Dupre, McCaffrey etc. I don't dislike him but he doesn't jump out at me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
First lesson, I am not the mainstream media. I have my own opinions on players and laugh at half of the NFL networks mock drafts. Cooper Kupp is a JAG to me. I don't see anything unbelievable in him and I wouldn't take him over guys like JuJu, Chris Godwin, Zay Jones, Malachi Dupre, McCaffrey etc. I don't dislike him but he doesn't jump out at me.

If you want to dis the opinion of Mike Mayock, go ahead. I think you would be ignorant if you did. You're the one who said that Kupp is basically the same as Spruce but did not provide anything to back that up. If you like the other receivers above, that's fine. But, that's alot different than saying Kupp is the same as Spruce.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
me too 43
Not so sure about better athlete Merl....Randolph is a Rhino...

Fixed it for you Jake(y);):):sup:

Exactly
Lol. I am watching JuJu tape right now. I see some Bruce and Boldin in his game...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If you want to dis the opinion of Mike Mayock, go ahead. I think you would be ignorant if you did. You're the one who said that Kupp is basically the same as Spruce but did not provide anything to back that up. If you like the other receivers above, that's fine. But, that's alot different than saying Kupp is the same as Spruce.
I like Mayock but I don't agree that Kupp is special thats all. I mean Mayock isn't always right and neither are any of them. Neither am I for that instance. Like for example we share the same 1-2 WR's in Corey Davis and Mike Williams. I however have Godwin, JuJu and Zay Jones ahead of John Ross.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hard hitters like Randolph are injury waiting to happen. The way he hits is hard on the body.

I wonder what Phillips prefers at Safety. Do we see him move Joyner like many wish, to get more of a pass coverage presence on the back end? And then move Alexander to SS? I think those moves make a lot of sense. Or if they don't trade Barron, do they keep him at SS, and leave Mo at FS.

fearsomefour

Legend
Didn't he go undrafted because of numerous numb skull penalties in college? He cared more about killing people then playing smart? I could be confusing him with someone else. But that's what I remember because of that one clip where he levelled a defenseless Pharoh Cooper.
Sounds like a Fisher guy.