T.J. McDonald: "I'm excited to be back in California"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am looking for very big things from this very talented safety. TJ is entering his "contract season". He also have been somewhat injury prone too. Broken leg issues that caused him to only finish 9 games his rookie season (2013) & nagging shoulder issues then reconstructive surgery that cuase him to only finish 9 games last season. That shoulder injury permitted his back up Mo Alexander to finish those seven games in place of him. Mo has some serious talent to bring into this Rams defense. I might even say Mo could be a better run support Strong Safety in the long term than TJ.

With TJ Ram future after this season very much in doubt with pending UFA status. The loss of the Rams longest four full season starter @ FS to the Eagles. With a solid younger strong safety who was well settled in @ strong safety (Alexander) who will be here next season already contract...... its sure to add some different dynamics into the "Secondary Batter" for this up coming season.

For the first time Fisher has a large size HOLE going into TC @ free safety. Right now I am of the opinion TJ is the right answer to the deep safety post in the base defense. TJ is just under 6-3 inches tall his weight in college was close to 225 or more pounds but he was playing a hybrid safety/LB'er role. But he dropped the pounds for the combine to around 215 lbs. TJ's 3 years of Fisher DB experience @ starter is highly valuable now that Fisher lost 3 of the most experienced back seven Rams early this off season (McLeod/JJ & JL).

Getting TJ back away from the congestion would help with putting time away from the surgery on his shoulder & permit him TJ use great knowledge of what Gregg wants in his very many complex secondary defenses. When Gregg moves to a "Big Nickle" as he loves to do, Gregg he has a speedy fast FS Cody Davis who can be inserted to roam deep in passing situations. Cody is entering his 4th season now & should be ready to play a much bigger role with Iron Man Rod departed.