T Eric Winston cut by Seattle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Winston saw a great opportunity in Seattle
Posted by Mike Florio on July 29, 2014

winston2.jpg
AP

Veteran right tackle Eric Winston, who has started 16 games every year since 2007, will try to extend that streak in Seattle. His decision to sign there comes after an extended stretch of free agency. His patience apparently paid off.

“I think the opportunity, not only at my position but the opportunity with the team,” Winston told reporters on Tuesday regarding the reasons for choosing the Seahawks. “I wanted to go somewhere and win. I think this had everything, so I looked at the situation – obviously I wanted to be a part of something special and I think these guys have a chance to do something special again this year.”

Winston can do something special in the zone-blocking scheme employed by offensive line coach Tom Cable.

“I think some of my best years have been in that zone scheme, obviously with Alex Gibbs, way back in Houston and that whole scheme after that and so I’ve had some of my best years and some of the best teams I’ve played on have used it,” Winston said. “I think it’s a perfect fit for me and it definitely helps me with the learning process. Obviously you got to learn how they call things, some of it is the same and some of it is different, but I think it will definitely help me learn quicker, just knowing the techniques and not having to learn everything completely new.”

For rookie second-round draft pick Justin Britt, it’s all new. But Winston’s desire to play won’t keep him from helping the youngster, if he wants help.

“I think anytime you become a vet in this league, you’ve got an obligation to the young guys that come after you – to help them, teach them and obviously to compete against them,” Winston said. “I had the same when I was coming up in Houston. I had older guys that I was competing against but at the same time, took me under their wing. If Britt wants me to do that, then I’ll do that, and if he doesn’t want to hear it, then I won’t. But I’ll be here for him and always be here to help him, that’s for sure.”

Whether he plays or not, Winston is the kind of guy the Seahawks need to avoid the complacency that comes from climbing the mountain and then having to go to the bottom and try to climb it again. Winston, who has had only one taste of the postseason three years ago in Houston before spending a year with the Chiefs and then with the Cardinals, has every reason to push himself and his teammates back up the mountain.

Alan

Legend
Winston didn't get signed in FA until now for very good reasons.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3648/eric-winston
Winston, 30, started all 16 games at right tackle for the Cardinals last season, but struggled both in the run and pass games and graded out as a bottom-eight tackle at Pro Football Focus. In Seattle, the favorite for starting right-tackle duties is Michael Bowie. Second-round rookie Justin Britt is also in the mix to replace the departed Breno Giacomini. Winston will simply compete for a spot. Jul 29 - 10:32 AM

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Chris Long needs redemption for his two rotten eggs laid up against Winston last year!

Alan

Legend
I was totally expecting at least 3 sacks from him that game. I just assumed Winston was getting lots of help.

FRO

Legend
Seahawks have been signing vets late in the game. Must not like how their youngsters are coming along.

Alan

Legend
FRO with good insight:
Seahawks have been signing vets late in the game. Must not like how their youngsters are coming along.
It was easy too see that all the good OTs were taken early in the draft. They had a chance to draft Bitonio in the 1st round and they should have taken it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seahawks releasing Eric Winston
Posted by Mike Wilkening on August 30, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/30/seahawks-releasing-eric-winston/

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptq1zthkn2eymdbmnwzlote1ntfkyju1ntq2ntm2nwq3-e1409420116392.jpeg
AP

The Seahawks are releasing one of the NFL’s most notable right tackles of recent seasons.

The club is parting ways with Eric Winston, PFT’s Mike Florio reported on Saturday.

The Seahawks signed Winston in July to compete for their right tackle job, a position that has been won by rookie Justin Britt.

The 30-year-old Winston has made 119 regular season starts at right tackle. He was a 16-game starter for Arizona in 2013. Before that, he had stints with Houston (2006-2011) and Kansas City (2012). It’s possible Winston could draw interest from clubs looking for experienced help on the right side.

Winston is the president of the NFL Players Association.