Synthesis: My Camp Summary-to-date (based on other's reports)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
As Paul Harvey would say: And now, for the rest of the story.

I agree with much of what you said CoachO but while Steve might have leaned too far in one direction, you might be leaning too far in the other direction. You don't earn the dubious distinction of having an opposing QB rating of 115.3 against you (total average rating for the whole year) in just two bad games.

Wasn't trying to say it was just two games. I was merely pointing out the two plays that most want to point to. You have a 115.3 rating against you, when you are just one member of a secondary and defense, which was LAST in the league in allowing the highest passer rating. And that, at least to me, screams of scheme and is why the Tim Walton era lasted LESS THAN one full year.

Alan

Legend
I got that @CoachO . That's why I just said you might be leaning to far in the other direction. It's also why I said I agreed with much of what you said there.

I think you're forgetting something else here. According to PFF and more importantly what I saw myself, Jenkins didn't play well his first year either and Walton wasn't our DC then. I was sounding alarm bells about his play long before Walton joined the picture. Getting that occasional turnover like he did his first year is great for highlight videos but his overall play was not good. I didn't really see the drop off in his play his second year, I only saw a drop off in his guessing right.

Having said that, I agree with you 100% that a large part of his and the rest of the back end's problem were due to the scheme. I'm not just talking about Walton's scheme either. Plus another thing I don't think you mentioned was is the lack a decent FS. Both seasons.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I got that @CoachO . That's why I just said you might be leaning to far in the other direction. It's also why I said I agreed with much of what you said there.

I think you're forgetting something else here. According to PFF and more importantly what I saw myself, Jenkins didn't play well his first year either and Walton wasn't our DC then. I was sounding alarm bells about his play long before Walton joined the picture. Getting that occasional turnover like he did his first year is great for highlight videos but his overall play was not good. I didn't really see the drop off in his play his second year, I only saw a drop off in his guessing right.

Having said that, I agree with you 100% that a large part of his and the rest of the back end's problem were due to the scheme. I'm not just talking about Walton's scheme either. Plus another thing I don't think you mentioned was is the lack a decent FS. Both seasons.
The lack of a true FS was a huge part of the issue. Not about talent last year. But inexperience. That's why C. Dahl played as much as he did the previous year.

I disagree with you on Jenkins his first year. I think like any young CB he had his lapses. Miami game comes to mind. But overall he was an improvement over his predecessors. Especially when Finnegan went down.

Either way. With Williams' focus in constant pressure. And teams not having time to pick this secondary apart as in years past. I think they will be fine. Now if one or both get hurt. Then we may be having adifferent conversation.

Alan

Legend
CoachO setting the bar illegally low:
The lack of a true FS was a huge part of the issue. Not about talent last year. But inexperience. That's why C. Dahl played as much as he did the previous year.

I disagree with you on Jenkins his first year. I think like any young CB he had his lapses. Miami game comes to mind. But overall he was an improvement over his predecessors. Especially when Finnegan went down.

Either way. With Williams' focus in constant pressure. And teams not having time to pick this secondary apart as in years past. I think they will be fine. Now if one or both get hurt. Then we may be having adifferent conversation.

I agree with that black bolded part but isn't there like a 15 yard penalty and loss of down for setting the bar that low? :LOL: As for Jenkins play, I agree that inexperience was a huge factor but how does that change the bad (OK, marginally improved :LOL:) outcome? All that means is he has a pretty good chance of being better when he does get experience. That'a good thing of course. I fully share your reason for hope that you talk about in your next paragraph. Still, for whatever reasons, Steve was correct in mentioning it as a concern. I think he put to much emphasis on it and you put too little. That's me, middle of the roader.

I agree with that for sure.