Switch Saffold to RG?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
He's the vet starter for this extremely aggressive but very young line. He was pencilled in at LG next to GRob. I wonder though, will the coaches want 2 maybe 3 rookies all on one side of the line? It wouldn't surprise me if saffold was moved over to RG to coach up the rookie RT (providing barksdale doesn't re-sign) and inexperienced center. Thoughts fellow Rams fans? Possibility?

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Wasn't he originally at RG? And only moved to LG once Jake Long went down and G Rob replaced him? I expect him to be the RG. Robinson, Brown, Jones/Rhaney, Saffold, Havenstein.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't he originally at RG? And only moved to LG once Jake Long went down and G Rob replaced him? I expect him to be the RG. Robinson, Brown, Jones/Rhaney, Saffold, Havenstein.

Actually now you mention it, I think you might be right. Either way he's the leader of that line now. Time for that probowl

Ram65

Legend
I would think it would be better to have him on the right side with a new rookie. I thought the Rams wanted to keep him on the left side next to G Rob. I would like to know the plan.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I thought he already was the RG? Either way I think that's the better fit for him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah, I think we see him over there for sure. He was playing at an extremely high level in 2013. If we see that all year I can almost guarantee he will get some type of honors.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Evan Mathis could still be traded as well, if we could add him to what we got our O-line would be very solid.

jap

Legend
Actually now you mention it, I think you might be right. Either way he's the leader of that line now. Time for that probowl

I would prefer him a RG to anchor that side while GRob anchors the left side. That way Barksdale or any youngsters at RT have a solid veteran presence at their side. I expect GRob to grow very much this off-season so they can take the training wheels off of him and let him be the steady presence for any young LG. It remains to be seen whether we will add Blalock or another veteran at LG. Either way we need as strong an OL as possible to match our dominant DL and get this playoff campaign moving!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yes please! He might stay healthy on the right side.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
One thing we now know, almost certainly, is our starting center was on the team before the draft.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One thing we now know, almost certainly, is our starting center was on the team before the draft.
200.gif
:)

TexasRam

Legend
I would move saffold to RT and let the rookies battle it out for the guard spots.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would think it would be better to have him on the right side with a new rookie. I thought the Rams wanted to keep him on the left side next to G Rob. I would like to know the plan.
i used to have that card. loved the cartoon characters in the bottom left. (on the avatar)

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I would love for Jamon Brown to come in and surprise everybody and snatch up that LG spot but I think we're probably going to start the season with:

Robinson-Saffold-Barnes/Jones-Reynolds-Havenstein

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like having him on the right side to pair with the young RT. So yeah, keep him at RG. Him and Hankenstein will make an outstanding right side can't wait to see it in preseason.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
He's the vet starter for this extremely aggressive but very young line. He was pencilled in at LG next to GRob. I wonder though, will the coaches want 2 maybe 3 rookies all on one side of the line? It wouldn't surprise me if saffold was moved over to RG to coach up the rookie RT (providing barksdale doesn't re-sign) and inexperienced center. Thoughts fellow Rams fans? Possibility?

No question in my mind Saffold is going back to RG. Not a common thing to see a team paying $6M+ to a LG. (see more below)

I would move saffold to RT and let the rookies battle it out for the guard spots.

RG is the 2nd most important spot on the OL behind LT. Where the LT anchors your pass protection, the RG is the spot where you get all your OL leverage on right handed running plays. The RG is frequently isolated on whoever has that B-gap, so the success or failure of a right handed running play frequently comes down to who wins the RG v DT matchup. Against a 3-4 D, the RG stabilizes the C and RG and you basically follow the RG into the hole.

LG is the least important spot on the OL, who frequently gets the relatively easy assignment of double teaming whoever has that A-gap. I believe the only reason Saffold was put there last year was to support GRob in pass rushing situations. Before they moved Saffold over, that LT/LG b-gap was wide open.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
He dominated at RG and never should have been moved to LG. Hope he is back at RG this year.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
No question in my mind Saffold is going back to RG. Not a common thing to see a team paying $6M+ to a LG. (see more below)

RG is the 2nd most important spot on the OL behind LT. Where the LT anchors your pass protection, the RG is the spot where you get all your OL leverage on right handed running plays. The RG is frequently isolated on whoever has that B-gap, so the success or failure of a right handed running play frequently comes down to who wins the RG v DT matchup. Against a 3-4 D, the RG stabilizes the C and RG and you basically follow the RG into the hole.

LG is the least important spot on the OL, who frequently gets the relatively easy assignment of double teaming whoever has that A-gap. I believe the only reason Saffold was put there last year was to support GRob in pass rushing situations. Before they moved Saffold over, that LT/LG b-gap was wide open.

Thanks for the education there, great read!!!!!