Super Bowl Or Bust?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just thinking out of the box here IF the Rams are unable to sign Lamarcus Joyner & Brandon Cooks plus Ndamukong Suh departs & the figures #no's you posted above were attained by these three ex Rams as UFA's would the Rams stand to land up to three compensatory picks possible all of them third rounders for the 2020 NFL draft?

I'd rather have the players.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Haha, just watching the idiots on nfl live and they have a segment where they picked 8 teams that had the best off-season. The rams came up against the skins and that shitstick teddy bruschi picked the skins. Haha, freak me.

I was so much happier when i didn't watch this show for a couple of months. I guess i just like to be offended by their stupidity.

Well bruski has an all-time great name, but other wise I have never liked his opinions on anything.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Please don't turn into the Tony Romo-Jerry Jones Cowboys. Guy was going for it every year and they had a top heavy roster with zero depth. And a ton of mediocre years.
The difference will be Jerry as aposed to McVay and Snead. Jerry owns the team and nobody could over rule him. Now his son reels him in and some smarter moves are being made. The rams have no one that is autonomous. So I would not worry to much about that.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I agree with most of your numbers, but AD isn't going to get $25M. Khalil Mack countered the Raiders at $21M so even if he gets all of that, we're looking at $21M and change.

Honestly, I think Mack ends up just over $20 and maybe AD gets $21M. Still seems high to me, but he's AD and he's a generational talent. I put him on the same level as Reggie White. That level.
Agree and they will never pay that much for a running back. While the offense would be giving up some unpredictability, they could replace a lot of Gurley production with multiple backs, much cheaper. I think the tag is around 12mil.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Not saying that. Just saying the front office needs to lock dudes up. The original reply was re: the Rams continuing to trade early picks for short term answers.

Demoff does that we're golden. I'm excited but that concern is hangin around till some dominoes fall.
As much as I want them to sign cooks, if he prices himself out so be it. Take the third the following season and move on. Maybe reynolds or thomas step up, they must not be ready now. Or the rams go get somebody else that is available. If cooks has a monster year and makes huge money, the rams will have good, need to prove it receivers falling all over them to get a chance to star in this offense. Either way it can work in our favor.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
*Mangini said the Rams "Got nothing" for Sammy Watkins. We got one year of a guy that scored 8 touchdowns and opened up our offense. AND we get a 3rd round compensation next year. Bite me Mangini.
Exactly. Does anybody think our offense is as good as it was without Sammy? This is just more old school thinking. The rams are thinking outside the box. There is more than one way to build and sustain a winning team.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The most recent guy is probably TruJ although he seemed to just be after money this offseason.

My problem here is that we forced ourselves to need to sign these guys. We gave up the front end of our draft for them and it’s hard to draft starters in the late rounds. Most other NFL teams can afford to lose guys because they can draft a guy early that will be with them 4-5 years. The drafted guys are a gamble but they are way cheaper too.
Forced? I think they are just doing things differently. They are taking risks, but I don't think they are leaving themselves as exposed as some think.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I titled the thread "Super Bowl or Bust", I don't believe the Rams will suck and go downhill if we don't win the Super Bowl this next season. What I do believe is that McVay and Snead recognize that while Gurley, Donald and Goff are on their rookie contracts, they have more "margin for error" in making splash signings. With the promise of the 2018 season, the Rams are capitalizing on their 2017 success to make a serious run at the Lombardi.

It's also possible that giving up draft picks for bonafide pro bowl players might become the way to do business in the NFL. It's going to become a balancing act to keep your core star players while mixing in enough young talent to stay on top.

P.S. I hope we demolish the whiners early in the season so they can get over their Jimmy Carapaolo delusions. I still think JG is the next Brock Osweiler.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As much as I want them to sign cooks, if he prices himself out so be it.

They have to sign him. If not, someone or multiple someones must be fired.

Good execs don't give up first round picks for one year rentals. We gave it up and that is only ok if they can sign him.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No first last year. Gerald Everett with our top pick in 2017 and now not single pick in the first 86 selections and just one in the top 110.

Gotta nail these picks this month. Hopefully Snead & McVay can work some late round magic. Our future roster depends on it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
They have to sign him. If not, someone or multiple someones must be fired.

Good execs don't give up first round picks for one year rentals. We gave it up and that is only ok if they can sign him.
I disagree. What if we win the SB but Cooks won't sign for what the rams can give. Are you saying they blew it? I think they can recover from that, get another receiver and move forward. I don't think they can let themselves be leveraged by the fact they spent a one. I don't think they will worry about it if they can't get it done without screwing up the rest of the budget. They will have an extra 15 or 16 mil that they wouldn't have had and they will sign someone else. It is not the end of the world. They spend their assets to get what they need today and have contingencies if they don't quite pan out. That is good FO work. No one will be fired.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. What if we win the SB but Cooks won't sign for what the rams can give. Are you saying they blew it?

I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying tbh: that trading a first round pick for a one year rental is a mistake. People acting like it's ok if they don't get him signed are outta their minds. It's not ok. They have to sign him. Period.

I do have faith that the Rams are smart enough to ensure they are in the same neighborhood with his representation before they make that deal. If not, well, our window of winning is going to be very short because our front office isn't up to snuff.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's pretty clear what I'm saying tbh: that trading a first round pick for a one year rental is a mistake. People acting like it's ok if they don't get him signed are outta their minds. It's not ok. They have to sign him. Period.

I do have faith that the Rams are smart enough to ensure they are in the same neighborhood with his representation before they make that deal. If not, well, our window of winning is going to be very short because our front office isn't up to snuff.

I expect the Rams to sign him, and I figure they had an idea of the range being requested. But if he suddenly raises his demands, the Rams do not have to give in to blackmail. They do need to stand tough at times, knowing that while they might lose him - he might also suffer a major injury and have screwed himself by not bargaining in good faith.

Oh, and frankly, trading a late first and getting a player who is key in winning the Super Bowl, even if a one year rental, is a win in most people's books. To paraphrase you, People acting like winning a Super Bowl is not the actual reason to make these moves are outta their minds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, and frankly, trading a late first and getting a player who is key in winning the Super Bowl, even if a one year rental, is a win in most people's books. To paraphrase you, People acting like winning a Super Bowl is not the actual reason to make these moves are outta their minds.

Looks like we can safely agree to disagree on this count. Cheers.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
When I titled the thread "Super Bowl or Bust", I don't believe the Rams will suck and go downhill if we don't win the Super Bowl this next season. What I do believe is that McVay and Snead recognize that while Gurley, Donald and Goff are on their rookie contracts, they have more "margin for error" in making splash signings. With the promise of the 2018 season, the Rams are capitalizing on their 2017 success to make a serious run at the Lombardi.

It's also possible that giving up draft picks for bonafide pro bowl players might become the way to do business in the NFL. It's going to become a balancing act to keep your core star players while mixing in enough young talent to stay on top.

P.S. I hope we demolish the whiners early in the season so they can get over their Jimmy Carapaolo delusions. I still think JG is the next Brock Osweiler.
This is so accurately stated. They are in a unique position to take a chance, so they are.

I'm also in agreement with trading draft picks for players as the opportunity presents, though I still think that there are absolutely positions where a player can play a role and make an immediate impact, dependent on system. Then considering the that the cost of keeping early round draft picks can often outweigh their value to the team, especially when you consider fan pressure and emotional investment into the players, to include the pressure of sunk cost fallacy.