Super Bowl Or Bust?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Please don't turn into the Tony Romo-Jerry Jones Cowboys. Guy was going for it every year and they had a top heavy roster with zero depth. And a ton of mediocre years.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Given that the Rams have only won one Super Bowl,
Yes, but never forget ....

rams-banner.jpg

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Thats the mentality for a contender. We are just still so used to sucking that a playoff appearance felt like shooting the moon. Now, we are a team to be reckoned with - so hell year, its Super Bowl or bust.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What they are doing now is not sustainable. If you keep giving up high picks for rentals, you're going to end up paying the price sooner than later. So they have to turn some of those rentals into long term signed players. And sign the key guys from their own drafted/developed crop.

I am not upset over the trade of our first round selection again but as many here has said IF we do not sign him to a long term contract I will be in a nasty foul mood. Snead has traded away eight first & second day high valued draft assets the last 3 drafts (three 1st rounders, three 2nd rounders & two 3rd rounders), for basically two players now on the roster Goff & Cooks.

Paying the price may come as early as next season too. But most fans do not want to think that far & will be fine with the gratification of the big hit this season to Hades with the future & consider such thought as negative & wet blanket stuff. Just enjoy the ride now will be the chant forward.

It could be that Snead/ Demoff/ McVay/ Wade/Barry/Kromer feel very comfortable with the upper management team/coaches & believe they are good enough to control what I see as Unsustainable. :cautious:

My biggest concern is the future of Goff's OL. I need to see some serious work done here in the draft to get the groundwork done on this future OL prepared for new crop & growth of OL'ers to protect Goff & open holes for Gurley in 2019 & beyond. Right now I see non of that.

What I do see is a large cadre of star Ram players all in need of ultra massive paydays for many season way into the future.:thinking:

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't see an "all in" now at the expense of the future at all.. I see moves designed to make the Rams contenders for years to come. Everyone is worried about having the money to sign all their key players. i'm sure they're keeping that in mind.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lol, other teams are worried about us. Whiner fans are downplaying it but its all they talk about. You know they're worried by their actions not their words.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I wish I had your confidence. I believe those guys will command:

$25 million, $27 million, $17 million, $16 million, $15 million - a combined $100 million.

I agree with most of your numbers, but AD isn't going to get $25M. Khalil Mack countered the Raiders at $21M so even if he gets all of that, we're looking at $21M and change.

Honestly, I think Mack ends up just over $20 and maybe AD gets $21M. Still seems high to me, but he's AD and he's a generational talent. I put him on the same level as Reggie White. That level.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I am not upset over the trade of our first round selection again but as many here has said IF we do not sign him to a long term contract I will be in a nasty foul mood. Snead has traded away eight first & second day high valued draft assets the last 3 drafts (three 1st rounders, three 2nd rounders & two 3rd rounders), for basically two players now on the roster Goff & Cooks.

Paying the price may come as early as next season too. But most fans do not want to think that far & will be fine with the gratification of the big hit this season to Hades with the future & consider such thought as negative & wet blanket stuff. Just enjoy the ride now will be the chant forward.

It could be that Snead/ Demoff/ McVay/ Wade/Barry/Kromer feel very comfortable with the upper management team/coaches & believe they are good enough to control what I see as Unsustainable. :cautious:

My biggest concern is the future of Goff's OL. I need to see some serious work done here in the draft to get the groundwork done on this future OL prepared for new crop & growth of OL'ers to protect Goff & open holes for Gurley in 2019 & beyond. Right now I see non of that.

What I do see is a large cadre of star Ram players all in need of ultra massive paydays for many season way into the future.:thinking:

We don't know if it's sustainable or not.

If we hit on our existing draft picks, then it will be eminently sustainable. If not, then it won't.

Also, we don't know what the contracts and structure will look like.

All we can do is see.

Some teams really eschew FA and can't win even when drafting pretty well. Others go the FA route and can't win.

Winning in the NFL has some amount of alchemy. It just does. That doesn't mean you don't do everything you can to win.

There are players who outplay their contract no matter how big it is. Generally, the bigger the contract, the tougher to get value, but it still happens.

We'll see. After we win the Super Bowl and get into next off-season, we can see where we stand, who's been extended, who's likely to be extended, etc.

I think our future is awfully bright right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know if it's sustainable or not.

If we hit on our existing draft picks, then it will be eminently sustainable. If not, then it won't.

Stop. You know it's not sustainable Mack. Teams don't hit on mid to late round picks enough year-to-year to be able to constantly mortgage the future by flipping high picks for rentals. You can play the "well Les might be good enough we'll see" card all day, but the fact is nobody is that good at drafting. Even the Patriots, who are masters at roster replenishment and staying on top, understand that and insulate themselves against whiffs by flipping guys to teams who are willing to roll the dice.

Not being a wet blanket here, either. It is what it is. I like what this team is right now, and I like the addition of a WR who is not an @$$ clown vice going after OBJ. Les has done a fine job of getting the pieces in here for a run.

But that doesn't mean we should overlook the truth of things, that the dinner bill keeps getting bigger. Looking ahead does matter and it does affect us. The OL is a problem. The signings of what will be multiple high end players (yes it's a good thing too) loom as a critical thing too. Truth is that this offseason has put even more pressure and emphasis on Kevin Demoff.

And the truth is that while we all like the dude, he has an enormous body of work he's gotta get done now. So hopefully he'll start actually signing high end players for us now before they hit the market. Because if he doesn't our miraculous window that just opened up is going to be very short.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Stop. You know it's not sustainable Mack. Teams don't hit on mid to late round picks enough year-to-year to be able to constantly mortgage the future by flipping high picks for rentals. You can play the "well Les might be good enough we'll see" card all day, but the fact is nobody is that good at drafting. Even the Patriots, who are masters at roster replenishment and staying on top, understand that and insulate themselves against whiffs by flipping guys to teams who are willing to roll the dice.

Not being a wet blanket here, either. It is what it is. I like what this team is right now, and I like the addition of a WR who is not an @$$ clown vice going after OBJ. Les has done a fine job of getting the pieces in here for a run.

But that doesn't mean we should overlook the truth of things, that the dinner bill keeps getting bigger. Looking ahead does matter and it does affect us. The OL is a problem. The signings of what will be multiple high end players (yes it's a good thing too) loom as a critical thing too. Truth is that this offseason has put even more pressure and emphasis on Kevin Demoff.

And the truth is that while we all like the dude, he has an enormous body of work he's gotta get done now. So hopefully he'll start actually signing high end players for us now before they hit the market. Because if he doesn't our miraculous window that just opened up is going to be very short.

Respectfully disagree. Our OL was one of the better ones in the NFL.

And we don't know based on the structures if we're mortgaging our future or simply using a little credit.

If we're in cap hell or a talent well, then I'll agree that you were right, but I don't think so.

We're not necessarily on opposite sides. You're saying it can't work long term.

I'm saying I don't know.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Respectfully disagree. Our OL was one of the better ones in the NFL.

They definitely were; my .02 is that was one of the biggest keys to our success last year. We were very fortunate none of them went down for any length of time. I also think a dominant OL is more key than most people probably do, and that it takes more time to develop than other positions. Once teams fall behind in OL development, the other positions seem to fall like dominoes, and it always seems like a massive perennial struggle to try to ever right the overall ship. I think I heard the draft is OL rich this year, though....

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think we will be a force for as long as McVay's around--I can't imagine him and Snead not thinking this through with the future of the team in mind. Having said that--and I know there's a lot of middle ground possibilities--if you could choose, would you guys rather win a Bowl and then fall apart in quality, or be a perennial force that's always in the mix? I know I would choose the latter; the late 60s-1970s Rams were like that....

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Although I believe the Rams situation this year is different, there were "dream teams" put together in the past. In particular, the 2001 Redskins (Deion Sanders) and the 2011 Eagles (Namdi Asomugha). Both teams winded up at 8-8.

Somehow though, I suspect that McVay can get this team to gel and play like champions. As McVay said, the players we signed have a passion for playing football. I hope we are hoisting the trophy next February. Go Rams!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're in cap hell or a talent well, then I'll agree that you were right, but I don't think so.

Not saying that. Just saying the front office needs to lock dudes up. The original reply was re: the Rams continuing to trade early picks for short term answers.

Demoff does that we're golden. I'm excited but that concern is hangin around till some dominoes fall.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm gonna relax and enjoy the ride. They have a ton of Cap flexibility going forward and have put together one of if not the most impressive rosters in the league. Trust McVay and Wade to identify who works and move forward. Guys want to play here already, imagine if they win the Lombardi what that will do for McVay and the Ram's rep.

Time to compete in January and February.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
*Mangini said the Rams "Got nothing" for Sammy Watkins. We got one year of a guy that scored 8 touchdowns and opened up our offense. AND we get a 3rd round compensation next year. Bite me Mangini.