Super Bowl: Eagles vs Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

https://www.nfl.com/super-bowl

Sunday, February 4, 2018
6:30 pm ET
U.S. Bank Stadium

The Backstory

Is there much left to say about this Super Bowl #rematch? The New England Patriots are back where they belong, in the big game for the eighth go-around this millennium. The Philadelphia Eagles, for the first time since Bill Belichick's first dynasty shuttered their dreams for a first Lombardi Trophy in 2005. The jersey colors are the same, but other than that, there is little that links this title game to Super Bowl XXXIX. That is except for one player and one coach.

Tom Brady might look younger now than back in '05 -- he can thank Alex Guerrero and walnut meat for his everlasting boyishness -- but at 40 years of age, he's a far different, far better quarterback now. While many of his contemporaries from the early aughts have fallen victim in Father Time's cruel ax (Peyton Manning, Mike Vick, Carson Palmer), Brady is aging like a fine wine, reminding scribes every Sunday that age ain't nothing but a number. Already the winningest quarterback in Super Bowl history, Brady is left competing only against himself.

After completing the greatest comeback in Super Bowl, nay, sports history in Super Bowl LI, having done the impossible in the process, the question has been asked in whispers this season: Are there any doubters left to silence? What else is there to play for? What's left to prove?

In the aftermath of the Deflategate controversy and his fifth title, Brady responded with a brilliant age-40 season, a historic feat and one that will likely earn him his third MVP award Saturday at NFL Honors. In winning a sixth Super Bowl this Sunday, Brady would raise the G.O.A.T. bar higher, approaching Michael Jordan-esque levels of legend never before experienced in modern football, an untouchable status of godly proportions. What's at stake, what's left to prove this weekend is a legacy, not just in the sport of football and not just Brady's. The Patriots, led by the man-boy wonder, can reach Yankees-like pinnacles in the minds of global sports fans -- impossible dominance in a league designed to discourage it.

With a sixth Super Bowl victory and in completing their second of three-in-four dynasties, the New England Patriots can become what Brady has pined and still pines to be: Immortal.

Philadelphia likes to think of itself as an underdog city, and its football team made clear this week it feels the same way. Despite winning the NFC East with a 13-3 record and securing the top seed in the conference, the Eagles entered the postseason as surprising underdogs, having lost MVP-candidate quarterback Carson Wentz to an ACL tear and replacing him with supposed also-ran Nick Foles.

But something magical, or at the very least unexpected, happened over the course of two weeks. Driven by the national perception that they were doomed, the Eagles embraced the "underdog" role, going so far as to don spooky German Shepard masks as a taunt to their many skeptics, and slew Atlanta and Minnesota in back-to-back weeks.

"Underdog" is a moniker barely warranted by their performance all season, but one that was well worn during the gauntlet that is Super Bowl week. This mentality was best described by Eagles coach Doug Pederson, who before his second season in charge in Philly had his fair share of detractors: "I've been an underdog my whole career, my whole life. Everything I've done, I either haven't been good enough or something negative has been written or said, and I just blow it off. I have confidence in these guys and this team."

The Eagles are taking this personally. Every pregame pick against them, every knock against their quarterback, every shot across the bow of their emotional fan base is a snipe at the individual players wearing midnight green and black. Despite the fact that Philly boasts one of the league's best-constructed rosters, one arguably better built than that of their Super Bowl opponents', many see the Eagles as inferior. Beating the supposed greatest quarterback, coach and organization of all-time would be the ultimate validation of Philadelphia's resolve and city-wide spirit

Players to Watch

Nick Foles, QB, Eagles: The once-mocked, now-celebrated Wentz fill-in is the most surprising, under-prepared quarterback to play in a Super Bowl since Chicago's Rex Grossman in XLI. NFL Network's Gregg Rosenthal ranked Foles 57th out of 60 quarterbacks to start a Super Bowl, ahead of Sexy Rexy, David Woodley and Tony Eason.

Foles' return to form has been fascinating to watch. Cast off by the Eagles in 2015 following an outstanding 2013 season, Foles was about to give up football altogether and become a pastor after unsuccessful stints in St. Louis and Kansas City. But Philly reacquired him in the offseason to back up Wentz, and Foles was called into duty when the starter went down for the count. Foles shrugged off a poor close to the season with two stellar playoff starts, including his unbelievable NFC Championship Game performance; according to Pro Football Focus, Foles had the fifth-best playoff game by any QB since 2006 in the Eagles' blowout win over Minnesota. So the looming question over Minneapolis this week is can Foles do it again? Is this moment, so distant from his mind just half a year ago, too big for him?

From a football standpoint, the book on Foles is this (we think): He performs poorly under pressure (64.2 passer rating), has outstanding success on run-pass option plays (93.8 comp. pct.) and only recently found his deep ball (158.3 rating last week; 7.5 rating entering the title game). In New England, Foles faces a steadily improving pass rush and a secondary that no longer gives up the big plays it did during the season's first quarter. Still, Foles is the ultimate wild card; there's no telling how Foles will react to the big stage against a team that has had two weeks to game-plan for him. His teammates believe in him, but it's fair to wonder: Will we see the flea-flicking gunslinger or the tepid journeyman?

Dion Lewis, RB, Patriots: This is a quasi-revenge game for the former Eagles back. Drafted in 2011 by Philadelphia and jobless by 2014, the undersized and underappreciated Lewis found a home in New England, where he has developed into a top-10 back. His special combination of elusiveness, speed and YAC-ability made him the Patriots' go-to back in a deep stable of runners down the stretch; his game-clinching third-down conversion against Jacksonville was a picture-perfect look at what makes "The Weapon" special.

Last year, James White got the glory -- and 20 touches -- during New England's comeback attempt. This year, with LeGarrette Blount now on the opposing sideline, the onus will be on Lewis to pick up five yards a touch (his league-leading average in 2017), keep the pressure off Brady and keep New England out of a multi-score hole. Set to be a free agent after 2017, Lewis can prove his worth to New England, the league and his former team in one fell swoop

Key matchup

It's too easy, and even incorrect, to say this crucial clash will be determined by Philly's front seven versus New England's offensive line. "But that's how you beat Brady! Knock him on his ass! The Giants and Broncos did it!" Shut your face, figment of my imagination. No QB has been better than Brady under pressure this season (95.5 passer rating, per PFF), and Tommy Boy has finished in the top five in passer rating under pressure in the past three seasons.

The more interesting matchup with those units is between New England's receiving weapons and Philly's young corners. As Danny Amendola's title-game performance proved, Brady can dice up any secondary in the league, even without Gronk on the field, as long as he trusts his receivers and anticipates their timing. Amendola reaped the benefits against Jacksonville, but Brandin Cooks, Chris Hogan and even Philip Dorsett all played pivotal roles. With Gronk good to go against Philly, New England has a healthy crew of receiving options to attack an Eagles secondary greatly improved since Ronald Darby returned from injury.

After frustrating Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs, can Philly's back line (Darby, Jalen Mills, Patrick Robinson) hold up against New England's dink-and-dunk attack, led by the most incisive quarterback of his generation?

Prediction

Philadelphia boasts the better roster, the hotter defense and the sexier story. If Wentz was healthy and under center, the Eagles might even be favored in the minds of Nevadan lever-pullers. But he isn't, and regardless of how Foles has played the past games, Philly has a significant disadvantage under center.

In a QB-driven league, where so much of a team's fortunes in-season and in-game rely on the split-second instincts of one individual, New England holds the ultimate trump card in Brady, a smoothie-sucking cyborg who can overcome any game situation, whether he is up by one score at halftime or down 25 points with 18 minutes to play.

It sounds cliche, but Brady, Belichick and the Patriots will win their sixth title because they have been here before, more often than any QB-coach pairing in NFL history. Their in-game awareness and ability to adapt mid-game or -drive is unparalleled and lethal. Against this dynasty, all teams have been, are and will be underdogs. The Eagles, regardless of how they feel, are no different.

New England Patriots 24, Philadelphia Eagles 19

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What about the half time show?
If you’re really just tuning in for Justin Timerblake, you might be dissapointed to know there is no definite schedule for the half time show. It really just depends on the pace of the game. But Entertainment Weekly wrote that you can probably expect Timberlake to appear on your TV sometime around 8 p.m.

And who is singing the national anthem?
Pink, the acrobatic pop star, will belt out the national anthem right before the two teams fight it out on the gridiron.

What network/channel will the Super Bowl be on?
You can watch the Patriots and Eagles duke it out on NBC.

Can I stream the game, too?
Yep. Just log onto your computer and head over to NBC.com or NBCSports.com. NFL and Yahoo Sports apps will also let you watch the game on Android and Apple mobile devices.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article198102069.html#storylink=cpy

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/03/super-bowl-52-expert-picks-patriots-eagles-mvp-picks

The MMQB’s Super Bowl 52 Picks

PETER KING
Patriots 23, Eagles 20

MVP: Tom Brady

Man, I hate my pick to be boring. I am picking the Patriots’ eighth Super Bowl out of eight this century to be decided by less than a touchdown. With apologies to my friend Dan Shaughnessy, this is not going to be another Tomato Can Super Bowl—the Eagles will be rough and ready and a significant roadblock for the sports dynasty of this generation. But the stage will get to somebody on the first-timers at some point, and Brady will pounce on the opportunity.
-----------------
JENNY VRENTAS
Patriots 27, Eagles 17

The Eagles are exactly the kind of team that could beat the Pats in the Super Bowl: confident, loose, fearless. That being said, I’m picking Belichick & Brady for as long as they’re still together.
-------------
ROBERT KLEMKO
Patriots 29, Eagles 15

MVP: [editor’s note: Robert didn’t pick one, but probably Tom Brady, right?]

Bill Belichick has two weeks to prepare for a team led by Nick Foles missing its best offensive lineman. So … Yeah.
--------------
ANDY BENOIT
Patriots 27, Eagles 16

MVP: It’s a secret

The Patriots can win this game in the number different ways. The Eagles can only win it through dominant defensive line play, and even then it's by no means a promise.
--------------
GREG BISHOP
Patriots 27, Eagles 21

It's not hard to conjure a scenario where the Eagles win. It's far easier, though, to imagine Tom Brady hoisting another MVP trophy at the end of another championship season.
---------------
JONATHAN JONES
Patriots 30, Eagles 14

I'd love a competitive Super Bowl, but we won't get one in Minneapolis. I'll take Brady and Belichick over anyone any day, and that includes Foles and Pederson.
---------------
ANDREW BRANDT
Eagles 24, Patriots 13

MVP: Fletcher Cox

I've been riding this team all year, even through the Wentz injury, as the best teamin the NFL. Sure, Brady will outplay Foles—if he doesn’t, that will be the story of the year—but the Eagles will outplay the Patriots in the ultimate team sport.
----------------
TIM ROHAN
Patriots 28, Eagles 21

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground
Same as it ever was
--------------
KALYN KAHLER
Eagles 22, Patriots 21

MVP: Nick Foles

Backup quarterbacks have a pretty good record in Super Bowls. Foles is the new Jeff Hostetler.
---------------------
JACOB FELDMAN
Patriots 13, Eagles 3

How fitting would a total stinker be.
-----------------
BEN BASKIN
Patriots 24, Eagles 21

After last season, I am not picking against Brady and Belichick again. It’s as simple as that.
---------------
MARK MRAVIC
Eagles 17, Patriots 11

MVP: Let’s say Fletcher Cox

The Jaguars showed what a tough, opportunistic defense can do to Tom Brady and the Pats; the Eagles will do the same. Doug Pederson and crew, however, won’t fall into the trap of playing it safe (and making mistakes) against a New England team that can be had. Dilly dilly, Philly!
--------------------
ADAM DUERSON
Eagles 27, Patriots 24

MVP: Nick Foles

My stupidly simple, karmically-influenced NFL playoff betting rule: If you won your last game by the skin of your teeth—an idiom I’ve never understood—then I ain’t pickin’ you to win again. (See: 2017 Vikings.) Pats-Jags definitely qualifies as skin-teeth. (Ick?) And then there's the matter of New England’s previous Super Bowl wins: by 3, 3, 3, 4 and 6 points. This has to end. Right?
----------------
BETTE MARSTON
Patriots 38, Eagles 27

MVP: Rob Gronkowski

Between Zach Ertz and Rob Gronkowski, Super Bowl LII will be a battle of the tight ends, featuring two of the best at the position. We all know that the Patriots are at their best under the brightest lights, and that Nick Foles’ 122.1 QB rating in the Eagles’ two playoff games must regress to the norm at some point. Gronk will be hero, scoring early to get the Patriots going, and the Eagles will play from behind the entire game, only able to watch as the Patriots hoist their sixth Lombardi.
------------------
GARY GRAMLING
Patriots 24, Eagles 21

MVP: Rex Burkhead

Fueled by a dominant pass rush, Philly leads 13-10 after three quarters, but the Patriots put together two long drives—both culminating in Rex Burkhead TD runs—in the fourth quarter. Nick Foles gets the Eagles into the end zone one more time in the final minute, and degenerate gamblers around the world hold their breath as Philly lines up for two, Foles steps out of a Trey Flowers sack and finds an open Trey Burton to cover the spread. (After which the Patriots recover an onsides kick to seal the actual game.)

nimite

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go eagles ! (can't believe I say that but f*ck cheatriots)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was thinking of Polling the Forum to see Who was picking whom, But I doubt anyone here Really wants the Cheatriots and Tom Turd-ific To Win!! Go Eagles!!
Question of the Day who will have the Best Commercial!!?!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
24-20 Eagles...Eagles run the ball well early, last drive New England gets to the Eagles 25 yard line, 4 & 6 Brady gets hits while throwing the football and the ball goes awry and the Eagles win their first Super Bowl and trade Nick Foles to Arizona and when Foles drives across country, he replays Mark Lindsay's song over and over again.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Looking forward to it, should be a good game.

8 pm for the Justin Timberlake show? Now I know when I can go to the bathroom and make my dinner.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well I did like Bledsoe. 49ers greatest Player ever!? Montana!? Rice? Who!? Hack-Saw Reynolds!!:D

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I despise the Patriots so much that even freaking North Korea could send over a team for the Super Bowl... and I’d root for them (NK)

To the bitter end
“ for hates sake, I spit my last breath at thee”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

It’s getting late in the season. Wager those ROD dollars!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I despise the Patriots so much that even freaking North Korea could send over a team for the Super Bowl... and I’d root for them (NK)

To the bitter end
“ for hates sake, I spit my last breath at thee”
I'll be rooting for Chris Long in this game!!(y);):D

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Punched in the face or kicked in the nuts . Not much of a choice in this game . Go Rams

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone else find it funny that they show the players arriving, walking in, and everyone has noise cancelling ear phones on?

Are they trying to block out hecklers?

Music to get into groove?

I dunno. Just looks kind of funny that teammates can’t possibly have a conversation or hear each other with those on.