Stump Mitchell interviews with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1n9E2rECN

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/bd/7bdbddaf-d751-5b19-bdb7-a276b146589e/4f4328d5806e7.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]Stump Mitchell, a former Cardinals running back and currently head football coach at Southern University-Baton Rouge, interviewed for the Rams' running backs coach position Monday.

Mitchell, 52, met at Rams Park with coach Jeff Fisher and visited with members of the coaching staff. The visit went well, though it was uncertain Monday night if Mitchell has been offered the job.

League sources said Fisher could be interviewing another candidate or two for the position, which is one of the last remaining berths on Fisher's staff.

A Georgia native, Mitchell played with the St. Louis and Phoenix Cardinals from 1981-89. He ended his career with Kansas City in 1991, but didn't post any stats with the Chiefs because of knee problems.

A ninth-round pick by the Big Red out of The Citadel in 1981, Mitchell was a popular and productive player in St. Louis.

Undersized, at 5 feet 9 and 188 pounds, Mitchell rushed for a career high 1,006 yards for the Cardinals in 1985, and from '85 through '88 never totaled less than 726 yards.

A versatile player, Mitchell was an accomplished receiver, punt returner and kickoff returner, finishing with nearly 11,000 all-purpose yards and scoring 42 touchdowns. He even threw a 15-yard TD pass in 1986.

At the conclusion of his playing career, Mitchell was a head coach at the high school and college (Morgan State) levels in the 1990s before joining Mike Holmgren's inaugural staff in Seattle as running backs coach in 1999. He was with the Seahawks for eight seasons then joined Washington's staff as assistant head coach/running backs coach in 2008.

Mitchell is accustomed to working with high-profile backs in the NFL. In 11 seasons coaching running backs with Seattle and Washington, Mitchell coached 1,000-yard rushers on eight occasions: Ricky Watters twice, Shaun Alexander five times and Clinton Portis once.

Mitchell's career goal always has been to be a head coach, and after two seasons with the Redskins, he left the NFL for another try in college as the Southern coach in 2010.

But Mitchell might be on shaky ground in Baton Rouge. His two-year record is 6-16 at Southern, and the athletics director who hired him — former Cardinals teammate Greg LeFleur — no longer is with the school.

Franchise time

Monday marked the beginning of a two-week period in which teams can place the "franchise" designation on players scheduled for unrestricted free agency. The Rams have 20 players scheduled for unrestricted free agency, and aren't expected to use the designation this year.

The only Rams free agent that might even be considered for the franchise tag is wide receiver Brandon Lloyd. Team sources say it isn't likely, but not impossible, that Lloyd will be tagged.

Anonymous

I loved watching Stump play. He played with heart getting a lot out of his talent. Was a great example of how to train and keep your nose to the grindstone to get better and help your team anyway you can.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
squeaky wheel said:
I loved watching Stump play. He played with heart getting a lot out of his talent. Was a great example of how to train and keep your nose to the grindstone to get better and help your team anyway you can.
So what do you think he could bring to the table as a RB coach? Something that SJax doesn't already know. I'm not *challenging* you here, I'm just curious (as you know more about him than I) what you think he could teach other RBs in this league that may be lacking as a fundamental trait.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
So what do you think he could bring to the table as a RB coach? Something that SJax doesn't already know. I'm not *challenging* you here, I'm just curious (as you know more about him than I) what you think he could teach other RBs in this league that may be lacking as a fundamental trait.

I think he could do wonders with elevating complete RB play with the 2nd and 3rd string RBs since SJ is already a complete back. Blocking comes to mind. I always thought Shaun Alexander benefitted from Stump's coaching. Of course that was mostly in the passing game. Much like Steven Davis (as mentor) I think SJ would respect Stump as a coach.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So Mitchell was a good blocker in pass-pro? If so, that's definitely an area that Jax could improve upon (albeit only a little).

Anonymous

X said:
So Mitchell was a good blocker in pass-pro? If so, that's definitely an area that Jax could improve upon (albeit only a little).

Yes, he was a complete RB and was FEARLESS. Smart too. Reminds me of MF when it comes to the grey matter. I remember laughing at how tenacious he was at running after contact. I swear I was expecting to see his lower torso continue on as the players began to leave the pile. Amazing work ethic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:

Yes, he was a complete RB and was FEARLESS. Smart too. Reminds me of MF when it comes to the grey matter. I remember laughing at how tenacious he was at running after contact. I swear I was expecting to see his lower torso continue on as the players began to leave the pile. Amazing work ethic.
Sounds like he's right in Fisher's wheelhouse. Punishing offense predicated on a strong running attack. It's interesting to follow these moves. Makes me feel like Trent Richardson is going to be highly considered as the Rams' 1st round pick now. And that's a good M.O. Look at what the Saints were able to do with a stable of runningbacks. Teams had to focus on two things at once, and weren't necessarily able to buckle down on Brees and the passing attack.

I like it. The more pressure you take off of Bradford, the more he's going to flourish. (IMO).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wow. If Mitchell can get guys like Alexander to play hard for him, just imagine what he could do with someone like Jackson.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:

Sounds like he's right in Fisher's wheelhouse. Punishing offense predicated on a strong running attack. It's interesting to follow these moves. Makes me feel like Trent Richardson is going to be highly considered as the Rams' 1st round pick now. And that's a good M.O. Look at what the Saints were able to do with a stable of runningbacks. Teams had to focus on two things at once, and weren't necessarily able to buckle down on Brees and the passing attack.

I like it. The more pressure you take off of Bradford, the more he's going to flourish. (IMO).

I could live with that. Make a strong move for a top FA WR (Colston, V Jackson, etc) and trade down with Browns and get Richardson with the 4th pick and still get a pretty good WR at 21 or deal with Skins and get Richardson at 6th and maybe another starter with the Skins 2nd round pick? Would Richardson still be there at the 6th pick?