Stuff about Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
First off, I don't care how good or bad Wentz plays except when playing us or teams in our division. But, to act like he won the starting position outright is dishonest. He would NOT be the starting QB for Philly if Teddy Bridgewater did not get injured, Period. He has made the most of the opportunity he is getting, and good for him.

I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone really made this claim?

Translation here is you don't draft a QB for the next year. You draft him for the next DECADE. I get that fans want to wring their hands and whine about the other QB being better than who the Rams picked. But stop acting like there is some precedent where you have to play well as a rookie or your career isn't going to be any good. Because that is flat wrong.

No matter how well these guys start it's about how well they are going to grow that matters. So my take is why waste our time as fans sweating all that BS, instead of enjoying watching OUR highly drafted QB grow. I just don't get it man.

Once again, I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone really made this claim either?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Haha, the nfl prime time crew were blowing smoke up wentz's arse and put up a stat that showed the most pass attempts without an int in a player's first 3 games in nfl history. First was warren moon with 103 attempts. Second was wentz with 102 attempts. And the third Qb they showed with also 102 attempts was

Case Keenum.

The Rams are set boys.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Haha, the nfl prime time crew were blowing smoke up wentz's arse and put up a stat that showed the most pass attempts without an int in a player's first 3 games in nfl history. First was warren moon with 103 attempts. Second was wentz with 102 attempts. And the third Qb they showed with also 102 attempts was

Case Keenum.

The Rams are set boys.

Good shit.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

Case Keenum.

The Rams are set boys.

That must be why Goff can't beat him out for starter!:hiding:

KDS73

Rookie
Even if he had played every snap of Eagles preseason games, the way he's playing now would still seem crazy for a rookie out of an FCS program. The fact that he's playing like this after missing most of preseason though just makes it that much crazier.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry not doubting you, just saying the 1st round QB bust rate is like 53% or something, forgot the exact number but espn posted an article on it somewhere a while back. So if Wentz isn't the bust...just saying realistically the odds are stacked against us. Hope Goff is a franchise QB though. I'm also a pessimist.

The good news is that my first round QB bust rate is a lot lower. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what's known as "skirting the facts". To tell me what Fisher hasn't done in 22 years doesn't state your case.

The only one who can't see facts is you! Wentz is the talk of the league...and everyone sees it but you!

Everyone sees Goff wasn't ready...BUT...everyone's not concluding he can't be a good QB.

You have two guys that played in very different college offensive systems. One...Wentz, played in a system conducive to NFL offenses...the other...Goff, did not. Goff isn't responsible to that even though it hurt the kid when he came to the "big stage".

Take a deep breath and come out of denial!!! No one is writing off Goff. That kid has a great arm...and when he's able to correlate what he sees on the field and process it to his arm, he'll be ready. That time is not now.

Those are the FACTS of the case...AND THEY ARE UNDISPUTED!!!...except by you...:ROFLMAO:

You've got your facts, Woodie. I've got mine. You can't argue with mine. And they are directly applicable to this scenario.

Sorry, but how is Donald a counterpoint when I said the very same thing (team situations)? In his situation, he had Brockers and Langford coming off his best season ahead of him.

And McNair possibly being ready his second year kinda shifts the discussion from rookies immediately starting (Goff may be ready his second year). But I agree, that it is hard to know if you don't know the guy or have inside info with the team.

I don't believe that team circumstances encourage playing Goff, but if I did, then that player would have to be ready, too. And Goff didn't look like he was ready to me (BTW, on a side note, while I hope not, I fear he's going to be a turnover machine).

Because Donald was clearly the better player. Fisher still didn't start him early on.

RamWoodie

Legend
You've got your facts, Woodie. I've got mine. You can't argue with mine. And they are directly applicable to this scenario.

Because Donald was clearly the better player. Fisher still didn't start him early on.
If you think so...but I can argue with your's because they have no basis. Pretty speculative at best but since you think they're facts, there's no use continuing.

Meantime Wentz is even moreso the talk of the league...and rightfully so!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He played in all 16 games though. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to assume that he didn't have the entire playbook down (with all assignments and responsibilities) before game 4 when he became a full-time starter. Being better is great and all, but you also have to be capable of executing things outside of straight-up bull-rushing. I mean, of ALL players, Fisher would most certainly want to start Donald right out of the gates. Sometimes you have to do what's best for the team though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He played in all 16 games though. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to assume that he didn't have the entire playbook down (with all assignments and responsibilities) before game 4 when he became a full-time starter. Being better is great and all, but you also have to be capable of executing things outside of straight-up bull-rushing. I mean, of ALL players, Fisher would most certainly want to start Donald right out of the gates. Sometimes you have to do what's best for the team though.

That was Gregg Williams's first year with the Rams. The entire defense was learning the new playbook. We had a number of mistakes made by veterans during that year. I just don't see that as a valid reason. Especially when other teams are able to successfully play their rookies from Day 1.

If you think so...but I can argue with your's because they have no basis. Pretty speculative at best but since you think they're facts, there's no use continuing.

Meantime Wentz is even moreso the talk of the league...and rightfully so!

Yep. Fisher's history has no basis in a conversation about what Fisher would do. And looking at what he's done historically is speculative.
giphy.gif

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
See this quite a bit. Fisher not staring a rookie QB early may be a fact, but to be fair, he didn't have one worthy of starting early either. I went to school with McNair, and believe me, there was no way he was ready to start for any team as a rookie, God rest his soul. And word has it, Fisher didn't even want Young.

Ya the Titans owner forced him to take Young. Both Fn LongHorns

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

Don't confuse this threat w/ common sense

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That was Gregg Williams's first year with the Rams. The entire defense was learning the new playbook.
Fisher and Williams don't have different playbooks though. Only the terminology was tweaked. They're both Buddy Ryan disciples and both run basically the same schemes. Seriously, Donald is the last guy he'd want to keep off the field. And like i said, he was in all 16 games anyway, so its not like he refused to play him due to organizational philosophy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher and Williams don't have different playbooks though. Only the terminology was tweaked. They're both Buddy Ryan disciples and both run basically the same schemes. Seriously, Donald is the last guy he'd want to keep off the field. And like i said, he was in all 16 games anyway, so its not like he refused to play him due to organizational philosophy.

Which is why it makes his refusal to start him and give him the majority of the snaps so much weirder.

RamWoodie

Legend
Yep. Fisher's history has no basis in a conversation about what Fisher would do. And looking at what he's done historically is speculative.
giphy.gif
Fisher's history is like the history of many HCs. The point being in most cases the HC is not the main factor in the developing of a rookie QB. It's the QB coach and the OC that have most to do with that. Obviously the HC is involved and there's no dispute there. Check the percentages of rookie QBs starting in the history of the league...and you'll have a truer picture. Otherwise your argument is lame.

When it comes to Goff almost everyone I heard said the same thing in 3 words:

"HE'S NOT READY"

Yet you want to blame it on Fisher???

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Which is why it makes his refusal to start him and give him the majority of the snaps so much weirder.
I don't think so, because I offered an explanation.
I guess it would seem weird if you summarily discount any rational explanations in favor of just saying Fisher is just dumb or stubborn or both.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish he could start Keenum and give Goff most of the snaps too
That's the beauty of all positions not named QB, you find snaps a other positions and get players feet wet

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think so, because I offered an explanation.
I guess it would seem weird if you summarily discount any rational explanations in favor of just saying Fisher is just dumb or stubborn or both.

You offered an explanation. That doesn't mean I owe it any deference. It's not an explanation I buy into. Fisher has a history of doing this. That is an explanation that makes far more sense to me.

You can take me saying that Fisher has a history of doing this as saying he's dumb or stubborn. Reality is that his history is his history. I don't agree with his method. But it's his method. He's hardly the only coach this is true of. Vikings fans have pointed out Mike Zimmer's reluctance to play rookies. Same thing with Cleveland fans and Mike Pettine. Some coaches have a philosophy that they generally adhere to.