Stuff about Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You really believe that or is that that river in Egypt?

I honestly have a bad feeling... because I've seen them do it before.

I don't just believe it; I'd put money on it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Easy to say in hindsight. That's the problem. Let's say Goff goes out there and plays lights out football. What's the narrative?

Maybe considered hindsight to yourself, but again, I knew McNair and trust me he wasn't ready.

As far as your Goff example, the narrative would be that sitting did him a world of good based upon what we saw during the preseason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe considered hindsight to yourself, but again, I knew McNair and trust me he wasn't ready.

As far as your Goff example, the narrative would be that sitting did him a world of good based upon what we saw during the preseason.

McNair didn't become the full-time starter until Year 3 despite playing pretty well when he started in Years 1 and 2.

Exactly. Goff could have been ready.(Wentz didn't play well in the preseason either) We'll never know. If he plays well, sitting him was the right move. If he doesn't, sitting him still was the right move. That will be the narrative.

That's the point I'm making. Impossible to make these determinations. What we can do is judge a HC based on his history. Fisher has an extreme aversion to starting rookies from Day 1 except for a select few positions.

Memphis Ram

Legend
McNair didn't become the full-time starter until Year 3 despite playing pretty well when he started in Years 1 and 2.

Exactly. Goff could have been ready.(Wentz didn't play well in the preseason either) We'll never know. If he plays well, sitting him was the right move. If he doesn't, sitting him still was the right move. That will be the narrative.

That's the point I'm making. Impossible to make these determinations. What we can do is judge a HC based on his history. Fisher has an extreme aversion to starting rookies from Day 1 except for a select few positions.

I disagree. While the Titans had Chandler, I'm telling you without going too much into negatives (which I'll never do to a deceased former Alcornite) that McNair wasn't ready. He had some issues. Trust me, if you can.

As far as Goff and Wentz, both teams had more than just preseason games to evaluate these guys. OTAs, training camps, meetings, etc.. No one knows for sure, but if Wentz struggled in those settings, chances are Chase Daniel starts the season at the helm. But, everything I read said that he did not, which makes sense given his background / experience in an NFL type offense.

Sure, Fisher has had an aversion to starting some rookies. But, you've got to consider each individual and their background (along with team situations). Especially when the Rams draft so many raw players. Example: Havenstein polished. He starts immediately. Guys like Robinson, Quick, Austin who are raw at their positions, do not.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Easy to say in hindsight. That's the problem. Let's say Goff goes out there and plays lights out football. What's the narrative?
The narrative SHOULD be that Goff plays lights out football [high fives]. It won't be though....because this is social media where the smartest guy in the room routine is the basis of conversation these days.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

did you read fisher's mind right there?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm happy for Wentz. The NFL needs more quality QB's. He looked very NFL ready in my amateur eyes. I never really bought into the level of competition knock. I didn't buy it in regards to Khalil Mack either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The narrative SHOULD be that Goff plays lights out football [high fives]. It won't be though....because this is social media where the smartest guy in the room routine is the basis of conversation these days.

I don't mean it in that sense. I won't be complaining if it happens soon. We're 2-1 right now. The move didn't hurt us. But if he waits until the bye and it costs us the playoffs, yea, I'd complain.

WvuIN02

Starter
Wentz had a very clean pocket the entire day.

Steelers also decided to sit back and play zone all day which was strange, but then again that defense is cursed with injuries again this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. While the Titans had Chandler, I'm telling you without going too much into negatives (which I'll never do to a deceased former Alcornite) that McNair wasn't ready. He had some issues. Trust me, if you can.

As far as Goff and Wentz, both teams had more than just preseason games to evaluate these guys. OTAs, training camps, meetings, etc.. No one knows for sure, but if Wentz struggled in those settings, chances are Chase Daniel starts the season at the helm. But, everything I read said that he did not, which makes sense given his background / experience in an NFL type offense.

Sure, Fisher has had an aversion to starting some rookies. But, you've got to consider each individual and their background (along with team situations). Especially when the Rams draft so many raw players. Example: Havenstein polished. He starts immediately. Guys like Robinson, Quick, Austin who are raw at their positions, do not.

Counterpoint: Donald did not.

McNair may not have been ready as a rookie. But I bet he was ready to go his second year. Even still, it's hard to know whether or not he could have played through his issues as a rookie.

As I've said many times, whether you play or sit a guy depends on the individual circumstances. But this is one where I think the individual circumstances encouraged playing Goff.

BKBISTRO

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know why people get so upset over the content of threads. If you don't like one just move on and let the rest of us talk.
Exactly right - everyone knew that once Goff and Wentz were drafted, people would be talking about them for years. This is just the beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing Goff on the field soon.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Keenum played well today.
Even with 5 dropped balls, we won.

Winston threw for over 300 yds........and lost.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Winston threw for over 400 yards. I'll take a Rams win anyday. I think that TB QB also lit us up last season in 2nd half time. Good for him.

I'll take 2-1 facing yet another division foe anytime. We're primed.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Oh yeah, that Wentz guy you can't ignore. I'm just a fan and still believe Goff is our Dude.

Again, good for Philly. We'll all see what unfolds in due time. Gotta give it a season or two to really make it a solid conclusion.

RamWoodie

Legend
The facts don't say otherwise. You want a fact? Jeff Fisher has never, in his 22 year NFL career as a head coach, started a rookie QB before the 4th game of the season. That's a fact.

Wentz showed himself to be ready by playing one bad preseason game and then getting injured. There is zero chance Fisher would have started him under the same circumstances. THE FACTS SAY OTHERWISE! ;)

And if that doesn't depress you based on how Wentz has played, I don't know what will.
This is what's known as "skirting the facts". To tell me what Fisher hasn't done in 22 years doesn't state your case.

The only one who can't see facts is you! Wentz is the talk of the league...and everyone sees it but you!

Everyone sees Goff wasn't ready...BUT...everyone's not concluding he can't be a good QB.

You have two guys that played in very different college offensive systems. One...Wentz, played in a system conducive to NFL offenses...the other...Goff, did not. Goff isn't responsible to that even though it hurt the kid when he came to the "big stage".

Take a deep breath and come out of denial!!! No one is writing off Goff. That kid has a great arm...and when he's able to correlate what he sees on the field and process it to his arm, he'll be ready. That time is not now.

Those are the FACTS of the case...AND THEY ARE UNDISPUTED!!!...except by you...:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

KDS73

Rookie
Where are people getting that Wentz looked bad in preseason? He only played half a game with 3rd string players, and all things considered, he looked pretty solid for a rookie.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Counterpoint: Donald did not.

McNair may not have been ready as a rookie. But I bet he was ready to go his second year. Even still, it's hard to know whether or not he could have played through his issues as a rookie.

As I've said many times, whether you play or sit a guy depends on the individual circumstances. But this is one where I think the individual circumstances encouraged playing Goff.

Sorry, but how is Donald a counterpoint when I said the very same thing (team situations)? In his situation, he had Brockers and Langford coming off his best season ahead of him.

And McNair possibly being ready his second year kinda shifts the discussion from rookies immediately starting (Goff may be ready his second year). But I agree, that it is hard to know if you don't know the guy or have inside info with the team.

I don't believe that team circumstances encourage playing Goff, but if I did, then that player would have to be ready, too. And Goff didn't look like he was ready to me (BTW, on a side note, while I hope not, I fear he's going to be a turnover machine).

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Are we going to get a weekly Wentz update from now on.