Struggling Foles, Rams' passing unit look for traction/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Struggling Foles, Rams' passing unit look for traction
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8cabd3d8-2a70-5daf-959b-5f5ccd73c52a.html

Most of the members of the media already had broken away from Nick Foles’ regular Wednesday interview session, when the struggling quarterback gave his best answer of the day.

With an offense unable to gain traction midway through the season, how does the ever-positive, perpetually even-keeled Foles avoid getting frustrated?

“Because I’ve been there before and I’ve overcome it,” Foles said, his voice showing a trace of emotion. “And I think from experience, I’ve been in a position like we’re in right now where we fought to try to get things going, and we just kept working, we kept believing in each other, and eventually you just break out.

“Once you break out, you’re ready to roll. So I’ve been there, and done it.”

There’s no time like the present for a breakout in St. Louis. Midway through the season, the Rams rank 30th in scoring, 31st in total offense and 32nd in passing offense.

From the outset of the season, a slow start was expected offensively. You don’t bring in a new quarterback, have a first-time NFL offensive coordinator, the league’s most inexperienced offensive line and a feature back who isn’t healthy enough to play right away and expect to light up scoreboards on Day 1.

The Rams are now far removed from Day 1. The feature back, Todd Gurley, is up and running far better than anyone could’ve expected. The defense is living up to its press clippings. The special teams are good.

With those other elements in place, just an average passing game probably makes the Rams a bona fide playoff contender. But they remain out of sync and unproductive in the passing game, struggling to convert third downs and failing to consistently score points.

“Yeah, we’re not satisfied,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “We just need a couple breakout games and we’ll get caught up. But we’re not satisfied with the first-down production and the third-down efficiency and the points scored.”

There’s no simple solution to the Rams’ offensive woes, otherwise it would’ve taken place long ago. The pass protection has been spotty at times. The receivers need to have fewer drops, catch more contested balls and more consistently gain separation.

Better play-calling would help. And this just in: Apparently everything wasn’t Brian Schottenheimer’s fault after all. The team’s former offensive coordinator was a convenient scapegoat for many fans and media members.

“We all play a part in it,” said tight end Jared Cook, sounding exasperated. “We all have our parts that we play in the reason why it’s not where it’s supposed to be.”

But usually, it all circles back to the quarterback. And since the Green Bay game, when he took a pounding en route to a four-interception afternoon, Foles hasn’t played all that well.

He hasn’t thrown an interception since that game, but has thrown only one touchdown pass. Foles has missed open receivers with errant throws — and just plain missed them, period.

That was the case on the opening play from scrimmage against Minnesota when Kenny Britt was running free down the right sideline and Foles didn’t throw the ball his way.

“The position’s hard,” Fisher said. “You don’t know what he sees and who’s in front of him. But he’s got a progression. He’s got to read. He’s gotta go to the right place. So yeah, there’s room for improvement there.”

“You’d always like to have a few plays back,” offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said. “You’d always like to have a few decisions back. It’s natural. Goes with every quarterback in the league.”

At Fole’s urging, the Rams went to some no-huddle plays against Cleveland, San Francisco, and Minnesota — although just for a handful against the Vikings. It helped get the offense going against Cleveland; not so much against the 49ers or Vikings.

Foles ranks 29th in passer rating (79.7), 28th in third-down passer rating (62.9) and 31st in fourth-quarter passer rating (71.6). Those are not the kind of numbers the Rams were expecting when they signed him to a contract extension in early August.

Asked if he’s happy where he’s at, or where the offense is at, Foles didn’t hesitate.

“No,” he said. “I think we always want to improve. We have a long ways to go. ... I’m nowhere near where I want to be and probably never will be. That’s how I’ve been throughout my career.

“Us as an offense, we come out here every day wanting to improve. We’ve got a lot of young guys right now that are working every day. We’re improving. A lot of personalities, so we’re just continuing to bond.”

The cast continues to change, but that’s the way of the world in the NFL. The Rams were down two offensive line starters against Minnesota, although there’s a chance right tackle Rob Havenstein returns to the lineup this weekend against Chicago.

Chemistry with the receivers has been slow in coming, and there isn’t any one receiver who has developed into a security blanket for Foles. Benny Cunningham sort of had that role as a third-down back, but his playing time has diminished with the emergence of Gurley.

The cast at wide receiver has been fluid, with Chris Givens traded to Baltimore a month ago, and Stedman Bailey now serving a four-game suspension. Brian Quick has not been a factor.

Undrafted rookie Bradley Marquez, at first a feel-good special teams story, is being worked into the wideout rotation. The new man on campus, Wes Welker, is taking a cram course on the playbook.

At tight end, Cook’s numbers are way day and Lance Kendricks has had to cope with a hand injury and subsequent surgery.

“They’ll figure it out,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “People, they see your numbers and everything, and they’re frustrated. But realize, too, the guys over there are more frustrated than any fan is.

“They’re working their butts off trying to fix it. We know the potential that’s there. We’re just kinda waiting for them to break out. I’m sure they are, too, and they’ll feel really good when they do.”

As the anti-Foles criticism starts to mount, Laurinaitis says there’s no lost confidence in Sam Bradford’s replacement.

“No, not at all,” Laurinaitis said. “Not at all, man.”

Added Fisher: “I mean, we’re halfway through the season. It’s a new system. (Foles) is eight weeks into it, and we’ve just gotta keep working at it, which we will.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“Because I’ve been there before and I’ve overcome it,” Foles said, his voice showing a trace of emotion. “And I think from experience, I’ve been in a position like we’re in right now where we fought to try to get things going, and we just kept working, we kept believing in each other, and eventually you just break out.
:deadhorse:

“Once you break out, you’re ready to roll. So I’ve been there, and done it.”
I'm pulling for the guy really....just losing faith....impatient one, I am....(went yoda there ;))

“We all play a part in it,” said tight end Jared Cook, sounding exasperated:thinking:. “We all have our parts that we play in the reason why it’s not where it’s supposed to beo_O.”
Understatement of the month.....Captain Obvious :whistle:

I always think, this is the week....ever since Seattle, I figured this team would take off offensively behind Cigs & Foles...Hell, I figured Quick would go for a 1000 this year....easy....not sure about the TD's...To say this is frustrating as a fan is an understatement...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I always felt it was an overall team effort in fail. Line isn't doing enough. Receivers aren't doing enough. Quarterback isn't doing enough. But the most obvious is always the quarterback. He's what you look at on every pass. And he isn't performing at a level that is needed to win consistently. He the type of quarterback that needs help and he ain't getting it.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Welker could be the missing piece...somebody that Nick has confidence in to catch the ball. Third down conversion is the big issue and Wes can help that a lot.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Michael Young discusses what is wrong with the Rams’ passing game. He talks with Anthony Stalter and Chris Duncan.

Listen to Young Talk Rams
Some very interesting comments on what Wes brings to the teams, in this^, as far as what he can do himself, and in helping other WR's!! Like Tavon!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Welker could be the missing piece

Some very interesting comments on what Wes brings to the teams
Shoulda brought him in during training camp....He can teach these guys so much....same reason I never wanted to part ways with Danny A.....
But this is truly a QB problem....I guarantee if he hits Cook & Quick over and over in the seems, his accuracy, for that game, will improve....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Welker could be the missing piece...somebody that Nick has confidence in to catch the ball. Third down conversion is the big issue and Wes can help that a lot.

Yes he can. But I remember a lot of his success was shorter crossing routes and catching the ball in stride from Brady. His yards after catch was good. Do we really think Foles can hit him in stride?

MountainRam

Rookie
New Coordinator = Stop judging for half a season.

Now if they don't improve starting Sunday, then judge and then JUDGE some

KDS73

Rookie
I'm still hating the fact that we signed Welker. It's not that I don't think he can produce. But the guy was reportedly already starting to slur his words last year. Guy is like, one hard hit away from walking around asking if anyone has seen his baseball. I know he wants to play, but he can't be of sound mind at this point. You have to be really desperate and selfish to put a guy like that back on the field.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

You know he's not a spring chicken anymore, BUT, he is such a great route runner and gets separation that I agree. He could just open things up for everyone.
Hope he can play this Sunday so we can get a glimpse of what could be.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boy, at this point, all we can hope for is that the light bulb goes off for a bunch of these guys.

But there hasn't been much the past few weeks to lead me to believe there will be a break out... hope so!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I just heard that tyler eifert has scored more tds by himself than the whole rams team. Are you kidding me?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wagoner: More Explosive Pass Plays This Week?

Nick Wagoner joined Kevin Wheeler to preview the Rams/Bears, the Bears D, the Rams offense, and an update on the injured Rams.

Listen to Wagoner Talk Rams

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wes Welker On What he Can Add to the Rams

Wes Welker on what he can add to the Rams in and out of the locker room. He talks with Randy K. and D’Marco Farr.

Listen to Welker Interview

Athos

Legend

I just heard that tyler eifert has scored more tds by himself than the whole rams team. Are you kidding me?

He's got more REC TDs than we have passing TDs as a team.

I think we only have like 10 offensive TDs tho.