Strength of Schedule and the Playoff Teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My jaw dropped when I saw this stat...

8 playoff teams in the top 12 EASIEST schedules.

Only Green Bay and the Vikings qualified for the playoffs in bottom half (most difficult schedules).

ScreenShot2013-01-06at104725AM_zps83297b25.png

ScreenShot2013-01-06at104750AM_zps6f67a84a.png

http://nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-strength-of-schedule/

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Last year they had a .590 schedule. :shock:

Tough teams played they did.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:

Did you just have a Yoda moment?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wow, so playoff-missing Rams, Cowboys, Giants and Saints are probably all significantly better than their record and also the best bets to make the playoffs next year.

And, I'm left to wonder whether playoff-makers Colts, Broncos, Bengals and Falcons are fakers.

Oh, and Raiders have got to be weakest team in the league.

Someone should redo the Power Rankings weighted by strength of schedule.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:
Wow, so playoff-missing Rams, Cowboys, Giants and Saints are probably all significantly better than their record and also the best bets to make the playoffs next year.

And, I'm left to wonder whether playoff-makers Colts, Broncos, Bengals and Falcons are fakers.

It DOES make you wonder how good the Colts, Broncos, Bengals, and Falcons are.

The Colts and the Falcons have been called into question by some... But I didn't realize the Broncos and Bengals "had it so easy" as well.

Not to mention, the other 4 teams among the 12 easiest schedules.

Looking at that list; Green Bay (who had a win stolen by the replacement refs) is probably the best team.

Oh, and you're right... Oakland is a dogs breakfast.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Did you just have a Yoda moment?

Yes I did.

CGI_Ram said:
interference said:

It DOES make you wonder how good the Colts, Broncos, Bengals, and Falcons are.

The Colts and the Falcons have been called into question by some... But I didn't realize the Broncos and Bengals "had it so easy" as well.

Not to mention, the other 4 teams among the 12 easiest schedules.

Looking at that list; Green Bay (who had a win stolen by the replacement refs) is probably the best team.

Oh, and you're right... Oakland is a dogs breakfast.

I disagree, b/c how many times have teams been "on a role" and then lose to a bottom feeder?

The Broncos haven't done that this year, winning 11 straight is impressive. Same with the Falcons, they're pretty good man. Maybe they overachieved a little, but 13-3, 14-2 isn't something you should look past.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
I disagree, b/c how many times have teams been "on a role" and then lose to a bottom feeder?

The Broncos haven't done that this year, winning 11 straight is impressive. Same with the Falcons, they're pretty good man. Maybe they overachieved a little, but 13-3, 14-2 isn't something you should look past.

Good teams do not lose to teams they should beat. So, to your point, the Falcons and the Broncos are definitely good teams. No question.

It also has a lot to do with "how you win". The Falcons, with an easy schedule, were squeaking out the wins early. I think it's fair to question how good they really are.

The Broncos, on the other hand, have just been taking care of business. I think they are the team to beat in the AFC.

Thinking back...

If I recall, in 1999 the Rams sort of got labeled as having an easy ride to the playoffs. But we know how that turned out... :cheese:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
If I recall, in 1999 the Rams sort of got labeled as having an easy ride to the playoffs. But we know how that turned out... :cheese:
Man that season was hanging by a thread. If Warner goes down too, then we have Paul Justin or Joe Germaine as QBs. That OL had one guy who missed two games. Total. And were it not for a spectacular catch by Ricky Proehl, then we don't face Fisher again (who beat us earlier in the year). And jeez, if Tampa didn't have that murderer's row of QBs (Dilfer, King, Zeier), then they could have probably beaten us too. 11 points. Wow.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I won't take anything away from any of these teams as well. After all, it is the NFL. That said, I still think the Rams team at the end of the year could hang with and beat any of these wc teams easily.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Username said:
I won't take anything away from any of these teams as well. After all, it is the NFL. That said, I still think the Rams team at the end of the year could hang with and beat any of these wc teams easily.
Easily? A team scoring as few points as the Rams average don't beat many teams easily.

As for the strength of schedule and playoff teams goes, sometimes good teams have easy schedules. Look at the Miami undefeated season, their regular season schedule was ridiculously soft, yet they still beat better teams during the playoff's. I believe that because of their soft schedule, they remained healthier and fresher during the regular season, which paid off during the brief playoff period. Whereas a lot of their opponents were beaten up just trying to get there.

ZGare

UDFA
We need at least one first round draft pick quality wide receiver. In 1999 we had two and won the Super Bowl. We need another besides Amandola who can get separation.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
ramsince62 said:
Username said:
Easily? A team scoring as few points as the Rams average don't beat many teams easily.

That ^^. The Rams offense is still a liability out there. Painful to watch most of the time.....