Strauss: Maybe Rams should go faster earlier

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/joe-strauss/strauss-maybe-rams-should-go-faster-earlier/article_dcdbcb20-c62e-5632-898d-d0f8188ce076.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... ce076.html</a>

ATLANTA • A day will come when the Rams defeat a quality opponent on the road to push their record two games above .500.

They’ll speak afterward about having added maturity to resilience and taking the next step as a franchise.

Eventually one would expect them to more easily incorporate their greater number of skill players into a less predictable, more up-tempo offense.

That day will eventually come. But it was not the case Sunday at Georgia Dome against the Atlanta Falcons, a disciplined team that demonstrated poise for four quarters rather than three and found its primary playmaker again, again and again.

The Rams needed to play big boy football for 60 minutes Sunday afternoon but came up with about 35 minutes’ worth. Their inexperience showed in falling behind 21-0 and 24-3. Potential became obvious when they twice scratched to within a touchdown in the second half. Ultimately they had to explain a 31-24 loss created by baffling early penalties, a second returned interception in as many weeks, squalid field position and a resulting timid offensive approach.

The Rams outgained the Falcons, generated five more first downs, possessed the ball for only 34 fewer seconds, ran 12 more plays and won the second half 21-7.

Yet for a second consecutive week they created their own problems, reminding everyone that potential is several blocks down from reality.

Maybe in a year or two the Rams win this game. They weren’t ready Sunday.

They repeatedly crippled themselves with not-so-special team penalties and seemed content to pound an ineffective running game when not attempting 6-yard pass routes.

Six times Rams receivers deflected or dropped passes or lost balance beneath a throw. Running back Daryl Richardson’s volleyball set of Sam Bradford’s short throw became an interception that Falcons defensive end Osi Umenyiora carried to the house.

The Falcons scored three touchdowns before the Rams could convert three first downs. A poor decision by Benny Cunningham coupled with a holding penalty on the Rams’ first kickoff return left them at their own 8-yard-line.

A recurring special teams theme – rookie receiver Stedman Bailey twice was whistled for blocks in the back – set up the Rams at their own 8, 9, 20, 20, 11, 20, 20, 13 and 5 on their nine drives.

Last season the Rams were the NFL’s most penalized team and the Falcons its least. That tendency continued through the preseason and in a Week 1 escape against Arizona. Facing a more talented bunch Sunday, the Rams weren’t pardoned a second time.

“Offensively we feel like we can dictate every game,” said receiver Chris Givens, who finished with 105 yards on five catches. “We just had a lot of mistakes in the first half and we had to go no-huddle in the second half to catch up,”

The Rams waited to go no-huddle until their final possession of the third quarter. The outcome was a six-play, 74-yard touchdown drive. They went no-huddle and/or from the shotgun formation the entire fourth quarter, rolling up 142 yards, 11 first downs and 14 points. Bradford thrived in the system at Oklahoma and appears most dangerous at this level when the game accelerates. Slowing it only seems to complicate his task. (Bradford had a passer rating of 115.5 and 104.1 in the third and fourth quarters after slogging to a 54.5 first-half number.)

To say that the Rams must re-learn how to beat power teams on the road is understatement. They last defeated an eventual playoff team away from the Edward Jones Dome on Oct. 10, 2004, in Seattle. Most folks have the Falcons in the upcoming postseason, perhaps even in the Super Bowl. The Rams also let slip a chance to move two games above .500 for the first time since they opened the ’06 season 4-2.

“They definitely did some different things than the Cardinals did but that just comes with the game,” said tight end Jared Cook, who followed a 141-yard receiving performance in Week 1 to with one catch worth 10 yards.

A frustrated Cook was covered by a linebacker then shadowed by a safety after the linebacker released. Bradford targeted Cook six times while spreading 31 completions among 10 others.

“Field position, penalties on special teams and not converting when we needed to… I think we contributed to our own woes as a team,” Cook said.

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan conversely had no problem finding signature receiver Julio Jones 11 times for 182 yards, including an 81-yard, second-quarter strike over cornerback Janoris Jenkins. As soon as the Rams closed to 24-17 in the fourth quarter Ryan found Jones three times for 47 yards on an answering touchdown drive.

A summer narrative focused on an offense overstuffed with playmakers and a quarterback finally comfortable within his offense. No longer all about the grind, the Rams were fascinated with sizzle. For much of the game someone forgot to turn on the stove.

The Rams rushed 18 times for 69 yards. Minus Bradford’s rambles, the rushing yardage shrunk to 44 — fewer than three yards per carry.

Sure, field position contributed. But it wasn’t until 10:51 remained in the second quarter and the Rams trailed by 21 points that Bradford attempted a deep ball, an incompletion to Austin. On the subsequent snap he found Givens for 47 yards en route to a 29-yard field goal.

One wanted to ask offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer about the approach; however, team rules make assistant coaches and coordinators off limits to media on game day.

Apparently it’s better to feed the frustration than to offer an explanation.

The predictable narrative quickly sprouted about the Rams’ refusal to lie down, as if quitting in the second week of a season is a viable option.

Maybe the better thought is to go faster earlier rather than later out of desperation. Bradford didn’t hesitate when asked his comfort level when going faster: “I think our guys are extremely comfortable with it. Like I said, I thought today it put them on their heels, especially once you get that first first down and get the drive rolling.”

By Bradford’s own description, the Rams “shot ourselves in the foot” before outgaining their opponent 376-215 over the final three quarters Sunday.

Just a thought: Try faster earlier.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
My frustration is when Cook is covered by a LB or dropped off to a safety why can't he still be targeted?

Same with Givens and Quick

JJones was covered many times and Ryan let him go up and get the ball. Sam has to learn that he can trust the big men to go get the ball.

To me thats a smarter throw then the dumps to the little guy.

Unless Cook, Givens or Quick have 2 drapped on them, give them a chance to make a play.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
EastRam said:
Unless Cook, Givens or Quick have 2 drapped on them, give them a chance to make a play.

Yes. The Rams rarely employ the jump ball. I've also argued they rarely use the backside shoulder pass.

There are ways to use the pass position to create "an open" WR. We just don't do that and it is frustrating to watch other teams succeed with it (see New Orleans).

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

Yes. The Rams rarely employ the jump ball. I've also argued they rarely use the backside shoulder pass.

There are ways to use the pass position to create "an open" WR. We just don't do that and it is frustrating to watch other teams succeed with it (see New Orleans).

The thing for me is I can't figure out if it's Sam? Or is he being coached not to make that throw?

I dunno.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

The thing for me is I can't figure out if it's Sam? Or is he being coached not to make that throw?

I dunno.

One more gripe. I go back and forth on some of these throws.

Does anyone else think we suck at the screen game?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
WE suck at screens because Sam is still having trouble with touch passes. I thought he was getting better until I saw that INT. Course I didn't see the rest of the game so that could just be a minor aberration in his learning process.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

I dunno.

Nah. I've seen plenty of screens work, but we don't use them a lot either. In week one vs AZ, we set one up for Pettis, but the blocking in front never formed due to pressure on Bradford. The one that resulted in a pick 6 yesterday wasn't really a screen in as much as just a pass into the flat. There were no blockers in front of Richardson, and the ball wasn't thrown exceedingly hard either. Just because it didn't have any arc, doesn't mean it wasn't a catchable pass. Richardson even said as much (took the blame).

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
EastRam said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

I dunno.

Nah. I've seen plenty of screens work, but we don't use them a lot either. In week one vs AZ, we set one up for Pettis, but the blocking in front never formed due to pressure on Bradford. The one that resulted in a pick 6 yesterday wasn't really a screen in as much as just a pass into the flat. There were no blockers in front of Richardson, and the ball wasn't thrown exceedingly hard either. Just because it didn't have any arc, doesn't mean it wasn't a catchable pass. Richardson even said as much (took the blame).

Thats my point. We are not a good screen team...Why? The blocking? The throws? Practice? What? Why?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:
X said:
EastRam said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

I dunno.

Thats my point. We are not a good screen team...Why? The blocking? The throws? Practice? What? Why?
It's just not a focal point of the scheme, I'd imagine. As you know, screens are typically used to combat an overly aggressive defense to get them upfield so you can dump the ball off behind them. I'd imagine we'll use it at the appropriate times.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is basically the same velocity Bradford put on the ball (to McNeil) that he put on the ball to Richardson. I wish I had a better clip to use to compare the two, because watching a Ram get powerbombed isn't really all that fun to watch. Jeeeeeez. But the fact remains. As a receiver, you just have to catch it. When the time comes that a receiver complains there's too much mustard on a ball, then that receiver needs to be a fish-catcher in one of those dock fish markets instead.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Dgrke2qcw[/youtube]

Graphicker

Starter
We heard this all year last year.. It's getting harder and harder to not understand why Fisher and Co. are so stubborn.
I feel like it's ground hog day from last year.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
EastRam said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

I dunno.

I frankly think a screen play anytime at our own 20 or less makes me think "there's either an interception, fumble or loss of yards as the outcome". Yank it out of the playbook in Dallas for a week please!