Strategy; The Regime Then And Now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Flash back 2005... The Texans are in hot pursuit of Rams FA Orlando Pace.

http://ramstalk.net/2013/07/st-louis-rams-player-profile-orlando-pace/

"The Houston Texans considered claiming Pace by offering two first round draft picks, and they even brought him to Texas for a visit. However, the Rams ultimately signed Pace to a seven-year, $52.9 million contract the day before the deadline for Houston to claim him."

Pace had just finished his 8th season with the Rams... And approaching 30 years old.

In 2004, the Rams just came off an 8-8 season.

I don't think the Texans were prepared to offer 2 first rounders, but they were certainly primed to negotiate with. They held the 13th overall selection that year.

An aging player. An aging roster... The Rams signed Pace to a long term deal and the rest is history. Pace, like the Rams, were on the brink of a downward spiral and the front office didn't see it coming.

Second guessing is easy. But I remember at the time thinking a deal with the Texans makes sense for the long term.

Yeah, Pace is a HOF tackle... But building a roster is a chess match of decision making. The Rams whiffed at this opportunity.

Thank god our new brass seems to know what they are doing.

Anyone else remember the Pace situation in 2005? Where was your head at?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
No, I had forgotten about that. And thanks for bringing it back to my attention. It helps to highlight when and where the mistakes were made that lead to that horrible stretch.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wanted him gone before he signed that deal, he wasn't playing his best football and was holding out year after year. He was coming in out of shape and taking a couple of games to get up to speed and he seemingly didn't care that he wasn't playing that well.

It was a mistake to hand him that contract. This is the kind of mistake this regime seems to avoid so far. Letting Jackson go made that evident to me.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I had no idea. And honestly I would have hated it. I was 15 years old at the time and had no grasp on roster building and trade benefits. I would've been pissed at the Rams if they did it.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
A famous chess player once said, "the mistakes are all there waiting to be made."

Clearly, the Rams FO after Vermeil left made more than their fair share. What a bungling group of misfits we had to tolerate for all those years.

And while the current regime is much better (hard not to be), the jury is still out on some of their moves.

As Gregg Williams said in his PC, "we are in a winning business." Well, Fisher and crew haven't won yet. It's year three. Time to win now folks.

I have seen posts on various message boards saying thing like if the Rams win at least 8 games, then they will be just fine with it. Not me, I can't stomach that kind of talk.

This FO has had ample time and opportunity to win by year three. No excuses, go out and win at least 10 games.