Strangely, I'm just not that upset after the Packer loss...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The Redskin loss really floored me. Like someone jerked the rug out underneath me.

Didn't see a complete team player and coaching fubar coming.

But the Packer game is a whole different animal. They're an elite team playing at home.

After 24 hours of reflection, here's what I'm thinking...

Our D is playing at a playoff level. And that has been against the likes of the Seahawks, Steelers, Cards, and Packer O's, mind you.

Our ST are also playing at a high level. Hekker out kicked his coverage against Lockett and GZ missed 3 loooong FG's against the Packers. Other than that, they've more than held their own, wouldn't you say?

Our running game with Gurley has been most impressive. Probably an understatement, huh?

Which brings me to our passing game.

If we can just get our passing game up to a halfway decent level, we can be a force as a team. Halfway decent doesn't seem like too tall an order, does it?

I think this next stretch of games after the bye should provide an excellent opportunity for our O to fully gel, not that we can afford to overlook any team.

But think about it. Is it not reasonable to expect that Foles, Britt, Quick, Cook, and our OL's pass pro can get on the same page during that stretch?

I sure think so.

To summarize, we don't have dozens of problems to solve, we merely have a small handful on O to correct, actually.

And that's why I'm still cautiously optimistic about our playoff chances today.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good post. I agree with everything you said.

We saw our passing game play at a high level against Seattle and Arizona - so we know it's attainable.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Same here.

AND... we talked about this when Cigs was hired that we KNEW the O was going to struggle and we hoped the D could carry us...then we saw the schedule and went...crap. Our D could play lights out and we could legit go 0-5 and still end up finishing 8-8 or better.

That we're 2-3 and could have legit gone 4-1 (we just wet the bed at Washington. No way to sugar coat that. Bad game. We move on.) is pretty impressive.

I'm not trying to make excuses for or try to be content with mediocrity. Rather, I'm simply acknowledging what we knew to be true prior to the season: Our O was going to struggle prior to the bye.

Especially with Todd Gurley busting out of L7 the way he did... Cigs with two weeks will be able to reload and retool this O to focus on what works and get this team to execute and get in sync.

I fully expect us to explode out of the bye week.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Our passing attack should be short routes, for the most part. I'm not against play-action shots down the field. But, when Gurley has given you what he has, put him in short yardage situations. And for the love of God, throw some passes on first down. Mix it up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree. This loss, which should have been a win the way the D played, isn't too painful. I totally expect to see the Packers again this season. This team is very close to turning the corner. Once Gurley starts finding the end zone, which will start against Cleveland, we will be a load to handle.

The only thing I disagree with is I don't think Cook can get on the same page. I've given up on him. I must make a rule for myself to not utter his name any longer here. I just don't have anything positive to say. So please call me out on it if I do.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yep, not that bugged here either.
I am concerned about the O Line and would love a difference maker on the outside but all in all I am optimistic. Lets string together some wins after the buy and I may be downright happy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree with your assessment completely.
And just to add one thing, a poster mentioned on another thread. Cigs should go back and look at all the plays Mike Martz designed around Marshall Faulk, and use them with Gurley!! I think it's a Fantastic Idea!!

Big Game

Living The Dream
I totally agree with everything mentioned. Take the bye week and work on pass protection. And Cigs pass the ball on first down or run play action.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Same, mostly miffed that the offense once again biffed it when we could have easily pulled off a huge upset by shooting themselves in the foot and that we're in this situation because we ignored the offense for too long, but other than that, it was a good showing and the fact that we hung with them was promising.

Our D made one of the greatest offenses and QBs in the league today look pedestrian.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Great posts, the Steelers game pissed me off too. After the bye week we have a nice stretch of very winable games.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
That's the thing....I'm not pissed that they lost to the Pack yesterday. But I AM pissed that they're only 2-3, when they could easily be 3-2.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Totally agree. This is the most favorable schedule we've had in years. The pieces are in place, the die is cast. Lets roll Rams.

FRO

Legend
We lost a winnable game. It stings me bad. To only give up 17 offensive points to the Pakers, to have a RB gain 150+ yards, and to still lose is unacceptable. When are we going to get quality receivers? Right now we have a defense that is a playoff level squad and a RB who may be the best in the league (crazy to say after only 2 games), our passing game is absolutely killing this team and I'm not sure it's going to improve. These receivers are experienced and they aren't playing well. After 3 years they really are who they are at this point. Hopefully Quick steps up and they throw Bailey in the slot. They have to change something up. This offseason they have to get a legitimate #1.

Athos

Legend
Losing games we should have won hurt way more than blowouts man.

PITT and GB still piss me off because we left points on the board (GB) or didn't adapt to what the opposing D was doing (PITT).

Especially when it's elite teams we should have knocked off.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am more worried about our O-line than being upset after that loss. I hope we get those guys again in the playoffs! But our o-line stinks. Stunts and schemes are exposing the lack of experience in our pass blocking. I saw Clay Mathews (i think) bounce off of Robinson yesterday and sack the QB. I also saw mathews run straight up the middle and sack the QB. And I think I saw Robinson and Brown screw up trying to adjust to another stunt involving two packers. Horrible pass blocking and Foles never had a chance. No QB would. Saffold is hurt again. Something drastic needs to be done. Anyone heard from our great o-line coach lately? That guy had castoffs Wayne Richardson (Jets) and Barksdale (Raiders) playing well but can't seem to coach rookies. And I am very disappointed in Robinson's progress this year. Or lack thereof. The Rams would be better off with Saffold playing left tackle. He gets hurt anywhere anyway! This ain't on the receivers!!!

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I am more worried about our O-line than being upset after that loss. I hope we get those guys again in the playoffs! But our o-line stinks. Stunts and schemes are exposing the lack of experience in our pass blocking. I saw Clay Mathews (i think) bounce off of Robinson yesterday and sack the QB. I also saw mathews run straight up the middle and sack the QB. And I think I saw Robinson and Brown screw up trying to adjust to another stunt involving two packers. Horrible pass blocking and Foles never had a chance. No QB would. Saffold is hurt again. Something drastic needs to be done. Anyone heard from our great o-line coach lately? That guy had castoffs Wayne Richardson (Jets) and Barksdale (Raiders) playing well but can't seem to coach rookies. And I am very disappointed in Robinson's progress this year. Or lack thereof. The Rams would be better off with Saffold playing left tackle. He gets hurt anywhere anyway! This ain't on the receivers!!!
It's a young on-line that has played against the best teams in the NFL out of the gate. They'll be fine, just need reps.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Glad to hear, this offense is frustratingly schizophrenic though. One day they'll look good at pass protection and excel in run blocking the next (see PIT and GB respectively) Hope they gel and look good in both phases and I'm confident they will (just look at what a gelled O-line looks like through midseason- see Indy game in 2013)

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
A lot of stuff went bad for the Rams while fighting uphill on the road against an elite team, and while the score was really not close, the game was more competitive that that.
  1. Rams missed 3 FGs, GB made their one.
  2. Rams and Pack each had 4 TOs (if you count the Pack's failed 4th down). But one of the Rams TOs put 7 points on the board with the "pick 6". Rams should have had another INT but Fairley dropped it.
  3. Pack O was pretty much held in check all day except for two breakout plays that went for TDs, one of which was a defensive breakdown. The Rams breakout plays (Cook pass int, the Gurley run, the Bailey catch), all came up just short.
  4. Refs weren't kind to the Rams. They speared / roughed Foles all day long, hit him late, drove him into the ground, smacked him in the head, nothing called. If that was Romo in Dallas, you know those calls would have been made. Same with that other pass in the endzone on Quick.
  5. Rams beat themselves on O. Dropped passes. 6 of those 5 yard penalties?!?
The talent is there with these Rams, they just need to execute. That's a huge improvement from pre-RGIII when the Rams just had nothing but grit.

RamzFanz

Damnit
GZ missed 3 loooong FG's

2... one was blocked.

To summarize, we don't have dozens of problems to solve, we merely have a small handful on O to correct, actually.

We have one major problem and it's huge. The O line. That was just a horrible performance. I was so hoping they would be average or better by the bye.

The only thing I disagree with is I don't think Cook can get on the same page.

He is Pead. If he screws us again, it's all on Fisher for allowing him to. I don't know what's wrong with him, and I don't care. He's had his chances, next man up, and make it Bailey!

That's the thing....I'm not pissed that they lost to the Pack yesterday. But I AM pissed that they're only 2-3, when they could easily be 3-2.

4-1. They were in every game but Washington.

Losing games we should have won hurt way more than blowouts man.

I don't see that game as a should have won. The o-line was not good enough to play that defense.

If Fisher doesn't do anything about the o-line, it's on him. The Rams will crush with an o-line. They will lose too many without one. I would have a fire sale and get some solid bodies in here.