STL Rams vs. Titans Official Game Day Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Myles Simmons ‏@MylesASimmons

Fisher will have a Monday press conference at 5 o'clock tomorrow.

Foles on INT: "That’s one of those ones where you learn from it. The next time you see that, you throw it over his head."

More Foles: "That’s what the preseason is great for—situations like that you can learn from & move forward & stay positive through it all."

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Just back from locker room. Jeff Fisher said the Rams had no one in the training room after the game, so no injuries.

On the pick six, Foles said he should've thrown the ball away. But Britt probably should've flattened out his route (my words, not Foles'.)

While realizing it wasn't pretty when the starters and regulars were on the field, Fisher isn't panicking. Says team has to keep working.

Fisher said the Rams looked like a team that hadn't played in 10 days, which is the time since the preseason opener in Oakland.

Fisher was highly appreciative of the video tribute and the ovation of the Tennessee fans.

Said Brockers was held out because of some shoulder soreness, but it's nothing major.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Foles should not have thrown that ball but damn, Britt ran a really bad route. As JT had said, if he flattens it out it's either a catch or a contested ball.

RamBill

Legend
Sour homecoming for Fisher
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bb08cf68-988c-545b-bf5c-bb1bad125a99.html

NASHVILLE, TENN. • The Jeff Fisher video tribute came early in the first quarter. The applause was loud and heartfelt, with some in the crowd at Nissan Stadium standing in appreciation of the 16 years Fisher led the Tennessee franchise as head coach.

Fisher said Thursday he wouldn’t look at the scoreboard — he’d be too busy coaching. But when it happened Sunday, Fisher heard the applause, peeked at the scoreboard and waved to the fans.

“I have to extend my appreciation to the entire Titan organization for honoring me like they did,” Fisher said afterward. “It was moving.”

It was a true warm and fuzzy moment. Then the Tennessee Titans went about the business of beating in the brains of the Rams in a nationally televised preseason game that ended in a 27-14 defeat for St. Louis.

“Football-wise, we played like we hadn’t played in 10 days,” Fisher said. “I felt like we were a little sloppy. Got some unnecessary penalties. We kept it basic, and that’s not an excuse. You’ve still got to play better. ... We’ve got some work to do this week.”

The Rams couldn’t block, couldn’t tackle and couldn’t score in the first half against the Titans. They even had trouble punting and kicking, with Pro Bowler Johnny Hekker shanking a punt for 23 yards and Greg Zuerlein sending a 53-yard field goal wide right.

“In the preseason, you really just continue to grow together, working together, seeing different things, different looks,” quarterback Nick Foles said. “It’s one of those things where all of these are learning opportunities. You can’t take it too hard.”

Maybe so, but while the Rams were stumbling, the Titans were blocking, tackling and scoring. Not to mention intercepting. On Foles’ second pass of the evening, he threw a “pick 6” to cornerback Perrish Cox, the former 49er.

Foles stared down his target on the play, and there appeared to be some confusion on the route by wide receiver Kenny Britt. The result was a 24-yard return by Cox for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead for the Titans with 8 minutes, 3 seconds left in the opening quarter.

Britt needed to flatten out the route. But Foles blamed himself, saying he needed to throw the ball away in that situation.

The Titans proceeded to score on three of their next four possessions to take a 20-0 halftime lead. First came a Ryan Succop field goal on a drive sparked by a 35-yard reception to tight end Craig Stevens — whom no one on the Rams’ defense bothered to pick up.

Then came a 3-yard TD reception by former Missouri star tight end Chase Coffman, on a fastball squeezed between two Rams defenders by strong-armed backup QB Zach Mettenberger.

A missed tackle by cornerback Marcus Roberson, who has moved up to the fourth corner role following E.J. Gaines’ season-ending foot injury, turned what should’ve been a 7-yard gain by Hakeem Nicks into a 40-yard advance on the drive.

To close out the half, Mettenbeger led the Titans on a 43-yard field goal march, a drive that included three catches for 32 yards by former Mizzou star wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham.

Foles and the Rams’ starting offense were on the field for four series but managed only 37 yards. All told, Foles completed three of seven passes for 18 yards and a meager passer rating of 10.7.

“Tonight, we needed to get the ball in the end zone,” Foles said. “We didn’t do our job. We need to get some points on the board but it’s one of those things where there’s a lot we can learn from. Everything out here is fixable, and we can fix it.”

Fisher wanted to run the ball better Sunday, but Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham and Isaiah Pead combined for only 33 yards on 12 carries in the first half. Once again, first-round draft pick Todd Gurley warmed up before the game but did not play. Fisher said last week that Gurley would not play in the preseason while he finishes up his rehab from knee surgery at the University of Georgia.

In the first quarter, the Rams were outgained 100 yards to 28. And by halftime it was almost as lopsided, with the Titans amassing 226 yards and 13 first downs to the Rams’ 84 yards and four first downs.

When asked about the play of the starting defensive unit, end Chris Long replied: “Not good enough. Not sharp enough. A couple of people were out of gaps. A couple of things we need to fix. They’re not big deal issues, but we need to fix them ad that’s what preseason is for.”

You can talk all you want about the meaning of preseason games, and that it’s foolish not to read too much into what transpires. But two games into the preseason, the Rams haven’t been close to competitive against Oakland and Tennessee franchises that were near the bottom of the league in 2014.

That was particularly the case in the first half against Tennessee, when almost all of the players on the field were either starters or backups who will make the 53-man roster.

Quarterback Marcus Mariota, the No. 2 overall pick by Tennessee in the draft last spring, didn’t look overly stressed by the Rams’ highly touted defense during his three series. He completed five of eight passes for 59 yards and an 84.9 passer rating before giving way to Mettenberger.

The Titans managed only a field goal in those three possessions, but Mariota had a touchdown pass dropped by Dexter McCluster in the end zone before that initial field goal.

With Case Keenum taking over for Foles, the Rams finally got on the scoreboard with 5:38 to play in the third quarter. Reminiscent of his big-play prowess as a rookie in 2012, wide receiver Chris Givens got behind the Tennessee secondary and hauled in a well-thrown deep ball by Keenum. No one could catch Givens, one of the fastest Rams, and the result was an 80-yard touchdown that narrowed Tennessee’s lead to 20-7.

It took nearly seven quarters to get there, but the Rams finally had their first touchdown of the preseason.

The Rams got their second touchdown in the final minute of the game on a pass play from Sean Mannion to Malcolm Brown that went 54 yards.

RamBill

Legend
Lamarcus Joyner bounces back with solid performance against Titans
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...es-back-with-solid-performance-against-titans

Lamarcus Joyner struggled against the Oakland Raiders in the preseason opener, allowing an easy completion for a touchdown and missing a couple of tackles. He showed some resilience Sunday night in the St. Louis Rams' 27-14 loss to the Tennessee Titans on his way to earning my game ball.

Joyner made a perfect play on a third-down pass on Tennessee's opening possession to get the breakup and kill the drive. He also proved to be one of the few Rams capable of making a sure tackle, posting five stops, including one for loss. While others further down the roster might have posted more impressive nights, we'll go with Joyner since he did it with the starters and will be a key piece for the defense this season.

With starting cornerback EJ Gaines lost for the season because of a foot injury, Joyner must elevate his game. Joyner, a second-round pick in 2014, is set as the team's nickel corner. To remain there, he'll need more efforts like Sunday night's.

RamBill

Legend
Watts provides rare spark for Rams offense
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e0593ac5-9ae1-5681-ba5c-5f6c2865ee8e.html

NASHVILLE, TENN. • The Rams’ most ffective offensive weapon against Tennessee was a player who won’t be seen when the regular season starts until October.

Running back Trey Watts, a second-year player out of Tulsa, found running room where seemingly no other Ram could Sunday at Nissan Stadium. Although he didn’t see action in the first half, Watts rushed five times for 50 yards in the third quarter alone, including an 18-yard gain.

He also caught a screen pass and took it 33 yards before he was brought down. He played a few downs in the fourth quarter before giving way to rookie Malcolm Brown, finishing with six carries for 53 yards and three catches for 46 yards.

Watts put up impressive numbers at Tulsa, but his lack of speed left him undrafted. But the Rams like his vision and instincts as a runner, and he’s one of the best Rams when it comes to catching passes out of the backfield.

However, the son of former Oklahoma wishbone quarterback (and U.S. congressman) J.C. Watts was suspended by the NFL in the spring for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Although he can participate in the preseason, Watts (5-9, 208) must sit out the Rams’ first four regular-season games.

“I made a mistake and now I have to deal with it,” Watts said earlier in training camp. “I’m disappointed in myself because I feel like I let people down. I let my teammates down and I let my family down.

“But all I can do now is try to move forward. I can’t think about the suspension ... my focus has to be on football.”

BENNY’S HOMECOMING

Sunday’s game was a homecoming for Rams running back Benny Cunningham, who is from Nashville and played his college ball at nearby Middle Tennessee.“It feels good playing in front of family and friends,” Cunningham said. “It’s most definitely a blessing. You know, I’m going to cherish this moment forever.”Alternating with Tre Mason at running back with what was a struggling starting offense, Cunningham carried six times for 16 yards.

“I feel like there’s most definitely room for improvement,” Cunningham said. “I feel like the guys are motivated. We’re going to be able to put some points up this season. We just have to figure it out, eliminate mistakes and bring it all together.”

SITTING IT OUT

Brian Quick is expected to play at some point in the preseason as he completes the final stages of his rehab from shoulder surgery, but he didn’t play Sunday. Other Rams sitting out against Tennessee were defensive tackle Michael Brockers, running back Todd Gurley, cornerback Brandon McGee, linebacker Daren Bates, linebacker Marshall McFadden, linebacker Korey Toomer, offensive guard Cody Wichmann, offensive guard Rodger Saffold, tight end Brad Smelley and defensive tackle Doug Worthington.Brockers has some shoulder soreness, but coach Jeff Fisher said it’s nothing serious. Gurley, Quick, and Wichmann all warmed up before the game. For Wichmann, a rookie from Fresno State who has missed all of training camp with a calf injury, it’s a sign that he’s getting close to returning to practice.Among the scratches for Tennessee was former Mizzou linebacker Zaviar Gooden.

A NIGHT WITH COACH MAC

Rams assistant head coach Dave McGinnis played host to five foster children at Sunday’s game. They were winners of a Spend the Day with Coach Mac auction at the Drive 4 Dinger auction and golf tournament earlier this summer in Nashville.The charity event is named for the late Mike Heimerdinger, a former offensive coordinator for Jeff Fisher with the Titans, who died of cancer in 2011.Former Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck, a former foster child himself, had the top bid at the auction to Spend a Day with Coach Mac and brought the foster children with him. The youths ate a pregame meal with the Rams at the team hotel, rode the team bus to Nissan Stadium and were on the sidelines for Sunday’s game.

WE MEET AGAIN

Since the move to St. Louis in 1995, the Rams were 1-4 in exhibition play against Tennessee entering Sunday’s contest. Perhaps the most memorable August matchup came in 2000, billed as Super Bowl XXXIV½ because it came less than eight months after the Rams’ dramatic 23-16 victory over Fisher’s Titans in the Super Bowl.The crowd in Nashville was jacked for that game, and roared as if it were a playoff game much of the night. Some fans wore specially designed “Super XXXIV½” T-shirts. The game itself was no contest with the Titans winning 30-3.

FRO

Legend
I wonder if we should give Foles the whole half in the third game. I think it would be good for this whole offense to get a whole half of game action with all of the new pieces. The QB/WR chemistry is important and can't be built in practice settings. They need live bullets.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know it's bad when you get taunted by your daughter.

Screenshot_2015-08-24-14-32-52~2.jpg

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I wonder if we should give Foles the whole half in the third game. I think it would be good for this whole offense to get a whole half of game action with all of the new pieces. The QB/WR chemistry is important and can't be built in practice settings. They need live bullets.

Barrett Jones starting the third game. Probably an idication that he's leading the race, since the 3rd preseason game is where the starters play the longest, and it's out of the normal rotation of Barnes -> Jones -> Rhaney.

jjab360

Legend
Barrett Jones starting the third game. Probably an idication that he's leading the race, since the 3rd preseason game is where the starters play the longest, and it's out of the normal rotation of Barnes -> Jones -> Rhaney.
Fisher normally plays his starters the longest in the 4th preseason game iirc.

I remember it because of how unconventional it is.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Fisher normally plays his starters the longest in the 4th preseason game iirc.

I remember it because of how unconventional it is.
I think Fisher flip-flops between using the 3rd game and 4th game as the "dress rehearsal" game, no way to know what he'll do this year until he announces the plan.