Still 7 games to be played, but here are my thoughts to fix things…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First a caveat. I don’t intend to sugarcoat anything and so my thoughts might ruffle some feathers on certain posters with ‘sacred cow’ fandom for particular players.

And in no particular order:

Regarding Offense

McVay needs to turn over playcalling to LaFleur. Too many impulsive and irrational calls and decisions now being made that defy explanation. Our O stats speak for themselves. I really think that Rams would be 7-3 today with better decision making and play calling. This needn’t wait until the offseason, it should be done before the upcoming Cards game.

QB. Stafford is a warrior but he’s been too wobbly/injured of late. Unless Rams are prepared to commit to Wentz as their franchise QB for next 5 years then they must draft their future heir to Stafford with their 1st rounder. Maybe even have to throw in picks to trade up to get their reasonable favorite. Yeah, expensive and somewhat risky, but we’re talking about a franchise QB here without which nothing else much matters. Too good of a QB class to pass on this rare opportunity. Gotta do it.

RB. Gotta keep drafting one every year. Freeman does look like a pretty good #3 RB but we need to bring in someone to really challenge Williams. Unfortunately, probably not gonna happen until after 3rd round because of other more pressing needs.

LOT. Either sign a proven stud (emphasis stud) LOT in FA or draft one high. Probably with their 2nd, actually. No more pussyfooting around with this OL. Stafford deserves at least that much. Jackson will be a fine swing OT/OG.

OC. Here again, either sign a real stud OC in FA or draft one fairly high, such as with the 3rd. Both Stafford and KW deserve at least that much. Rams need to stop ‘making do’ on their OL if they want a dominant O once again. Shelton will be a good swing OC.

OG. Extend Dotson. He’s certainly earned it and such investments are exactly what those newly available cap dollars are for. This move will complete Rams OL.

TE. Effective immediately I recommend reducing Higbee’s snaps in order to experiment with Allen, Hopkins, and Long. Higbee is playing hurt anyway and he’s been missing too many blocks, dropping too many passes, and not scoring as he should be. I recommend that the 4 above each share approximately 25% of snaps until someone steps up to claim that starter role. Also, be prepared to draft and/or sign a TE for next year. Hopefully, our new play caller will actually use his TE’s in his game plans.

WR. We all love Kupp but he’s always injured lately. Time to bring in another WR via draft or FA for the future. Btw, Trammel seems to make plays when given opportunities.

Regarding Defense

OLB. Hoecht is playing out of position and though he flashes occasionally he is mostly a liability on the field. Opponents constantly abuse him. So bite the bullet and sign a proven vet OLB, dammit! Sure, it will be costly but it will transform this D. And that’s exactly what those cap dollars are for. Draft doesn’t look like a realistic option because we’ve already invested our top 3 picks on O above (unless Snead gets incredibly lucky again). Just do it.

CB. Gotta keep drafting CB’s for the foreseeable future. I like Durant and still think Tomlinson could be a quality starter but they scarcely give him snaps unless others are injured. Maybe hedge their bets with late pick and a 2nd tier FA signing? I’ve soured on Witherspoon and Kendrick.

DL. What to do? AD won’t play forever, 2024 might be it for him. So I see Rams drafting DL relatively late here and maybe sign a FA if there’s any money left. Hoecht could help on DL and Mathis looks promising. DL is gonna be tricky for Rams in 2024.

S. Keep drafting for the foreseeable future. Fuller is a goner and should be. We’re not there yet at S.

Regarding ST

Actually might be finally coming around.

PK
P
Snapper
Returner (Trammel seems fine back there)

McVay’s patience with Blackburn might be rewarded in these final 7 games.

So there you have my thoughts.

Major changes in several areas:

Playcalling
QB
LOT
OC
TE (emphasis, anyway)
WR
OLB
CB

I do believe that if Snead can address these personnel areas with some combo of FA and early draft picks AND if McVay can bring himself to hand over playcalling duties, then Rams can be a force in next year’s playoff run.

Thoughts?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think fans - of all teams - complain about play calling way too much. So much goes into it....it's not as simple as "run the ball more". McVay will call plays and given that he called them for our game winning Super Bowl drive 21 months ago, I'm here for it.

Agreed on QB and LT - IMO they should be the first two picks.

I think we need to get a CB and EDGE in the draft, however, I think your post is discounting that this defense has played VERY well in several games. We have some players that are evolving - adding a vet starting CB and EDGE is all that's needed IMO. DL depth late in the draft is always fine too.

WR and RB should also be picks. Either re-sign Dotson or get another FA OL - but we it's probably not realistic to find a starting C, draft a LT and re-sign Dotson. And that's fine....getting a stud LT solidifies this OL.

No sacred cows here, but I think you are underestimating that we need average starters and we have several evolving right before our eyes on defense (Lake, Yeast, Kendrick, Bobby Brown) to go with guys who have more potential (Durant, Turner, Young)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like most of it but I’m still shaky on taking that QB this year. Draft OL early on as well as Edge and CB. Fill the gaps with a couple of FAs that are studs , expensive but we can afford it next year.

Agree completely with McVay and play calling. He is a genius play designer but seems to lack situational awareness sometimes. I think he is trying to do too much. Trust your OC to do that. What does the QB class look like in 2025? That’s where I’d package picks to get our guy.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Much has been said about the McVay coaching tree, which is even more mind boggling when he doesn't hand the reigns over to the next up-and-coming OC play caller. Give it to LeFleur. Should've given it to O'Connell. McVay's main strengths have been as a HC motivator and play diagramer. Not as the caller. Pass the baton, it's been long overdue.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m ALL in on letting the season playout!! Why worry about it NOW!! The season is In it’s 2nd Part with a young team.

Mcvay is stubborn & IMO puts Raheem Morris to the test.I’d say he was wrong about passing on 3rd down & The only time I’d say Jeff Fisher is a better coach.
—I more about OldSchool football!!A coach like Brandon Staley makes me sick.Then again
Clay might remember the Tampa Bay games.Those late plays on a lucky pass or In Today’s NFL a PI from a crappy referee.

—Watching KC & Philly only makes me think of Dickerson & Humpries!! Shelton has played well this season,but resigning both Brian Allen & Shelton has hurt.

My biggest problem again is lack of FOCUS on the season. Cooper Kupp & Stafford doing the 9-Dime thing should be done on there own time & off season(OTA’s)

The Truth is is signing Tyler Higbee in season is & was a disaster in my Book! Play the season!! Kyren Williams getting hurt sucked!!

Oldbutnotdead saying Williams stunk!! WTF ? Demoff gave a stat that he was 4th in rush in all of The NFL!! I know at least scoring!!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
OP ‘s should have been post negates any sense of reality.

We are our record, to put that on one facit of the game is absurd.

And this draft a QB with our #1 is hyberbola. Maybe now the LSU QB is looking like a franchise guy, which would mean there are TWO.

The rest of the heard are projects.

So again, opinions stated as facts doesnt make them right.

Given the youth and inexperience of the roster we should be praising this team and its coaching staff.

To beat the Vagas under of six would be remarkable.

So lets keep a sense of proportionality to this McVay cant coach speak.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I’ve soured on Witherspoon and Kendrick.
Watching last nights game, I heard L'Jarius Sneed has been penalized something like 16 times but Spagnuolo said, "the cost of doing business, I want him to stay aggressive". Compare their 2023 numbers (Sneed & Kendricks) and then remember one is in his 4th season, the other just his 2nd. Our guy is aggressive too. Sticks his nose in vs the run constantly. For all the "lack of speed" I've heard about, he seems to be stride for stride with many WRs; you don't draw DPI penalties when the WR is 5 yards further downfield. After being benched vs Green Bay, he played perhaps the best game of his short career vs Seattle. I'm not quite ready to give up on him just yet.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
McVay needs to turn over playcalling

I think its very possible us fans suffer from Selective memory.

Similar in fashion to my wife's under appreciation of my performance executing her never-ending honey-do list around the home.
I can be batting high .900s on the kick-ass meter and she still calls me out on the things I don't do. When she's feeling very selective she can't remember any of the 99 things I did well before that one thing I-- well, 'shit the bed on'.

Is there an official scientific name for this syndrome?

I'd like to propose SMH Syndrome (selective memory housewife syndrome). This is good because SMH also means "shaking my head" -- which my wife coincidentally does very, very well. I digress.

I personally don't think McVay's play calling abilities have slipped too far. He's still one of the best in the business.
My one critique is I would like to see him 'take the points' early in games like he used to do early in his career. I used to get pissed when he settled for 3 after a first and goal failed to yield a touchdown. His coaching style however, always kept us with the advantage strategically. Seems some of his mistakes are contributing to putting us at a disadvantage lately. But over-all, this team seems to be over-performing in relation to its talent level. Perhaps we are witnessing greatness just being competitive with this roster?

Less I myself fall victim to SMH Syndrome, I might have to give him a pass regarding his perceived negatives. Too many positives with our coach. He deserves a beer and a blow job every night.
Once again, I digress.

Go Rams!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the biggest problem with McVay's play calling is the fact that they haven't had much talent at RB. Not consistently, anyway.

When the RB room is at least functional, so is the offense.

Looking forward to seeing what Kyren brings this week.

btw.. Freeman is fine for once in a while.. but a defense knows nothing is going outside and he's no threat in the pass game or to break a long one.

As far as the future goes.. I look at the QB landscape and seriously doubt they're moving on from Stafford this season. They, imo.. are going for one more shot with Stafford as QB.

If there's a stud LT available when they draft, I'm fine with that. But trading back is always a thing for me right now. I want another RB, Corner, Safety and Center in the draft.

I'd throw the bank at Hunter from Manny in FA.. and get a vet bargain DL guy as well. I think the line will be fine with those moves.. along with developing Turner and Brown next to Donald.

They need REAL TALENT at RB.. a dude who can rip off long runs.. and catch the ball out of the backfield. It would make a massive difference, imo.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think the biggest problem with McVay's play calling is the fact that they haven't had much talent at RB. Not consistently, anyway.

When the RB room is at least functional, so is the offense.

Looking forward to seeing what Kyren brings this week.

btw.. Freeman is fine for once in a while.. but a defense knows nothing is going outside and he's no threat in the pass game or to break a long one.

As far as the future goes.. I look at the QB landscape and seriously doubt they're moving on from Stafford this season. They, imo.. are going for one more shot with Stafford as QB.

If there's a stud LT available when they draft, I'm fine with that. But trading back is always a thing for me right now. I want another RB, Corner, Safety and Center in the draft.

I'd throw the bank at Hunter from Manny in FA.. and get a vet bargain DL guy as well. I think the line will be fine with those moves.. along with developing Turner and Brown next to Donald.

They need REAL TALENT at RB.. a dude who can rip off long runs.. and catch the ball out of the backfield. It would make a massive difference, imo.
I think we need an edge also. For me we need more physicality up front, especially on D.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
First a caveat. I don’t intend to sugarcoat anything and so my thoughts might ruffle some feathers on certain posters with ‘sacred cow’ fandom for particular players.

And in no particular order:

Regarding Offense

McVay needs to turn over playcalling to LaFleur. Too many impulsive and irrational calls and decisions now being made that defy explanation. Our O stats speak for themselves. I really think that Rams would be 7-3 today with better decision making and play calling. This needn’t wait until the offseason, it should be done before the upcoming Cards game
QB. Stafford is a warrior but he’s been too wobbly/injured of late. Unless Rams are prepared to commit to Wentz as their franchise QB for next 5 years then they must draft their future heir to Stafford with their 1st rounder. Maybe even have to throw in picks to trade up to get their reasonable favorite. Yeah, expensive and somewhat risky, but we’re talking about a franchise QB here without which nothing else much matters. Too good of a QB class to pass on this rare opportunity. Gotta do it.

RB. Gotta keep drafting one every year. Freeman does look like a pretty good #3 RB but we need to bring in someone to really challenge Williams. Unfortunately, probably not gonna happen until after 3rd round because of other more pressing needs.

LOT. Either sign a proven stud (emphasis stud) LOT in FA or draft one high. Probably with their 2nd, actually. No more pussyfooting around with this OL. Stafford deserves at least that much. Jackson will be a fine swing OT/OG.

OC. Here again, either sign a real stud OC in FA or draft one fairly high, such as with the 3rd. Both Stafford and KW deserve at least that much. Rams need to stop ‘making do’ on their OL if they want a dominant O once again. Shelton will be a good swing OC.

OG. Extend Dotson. He’s certainly earned it and such investments are exactly what those newly available cap dollars are for. This move will complete Rams OL.

TE. Effective immediately I recommend reducing Higbee’s snaps in order to experiment with Allen, Hopkins, and Long. Higbee is playing hurt anyway and he’s been missing too many blocks, dropping too many passes, and not scoring as he should be. I recommend that the 4 above each share approximately 25% of snaps until someone steps up to claim that starter role. Also, be prepared to draft and/or sign a TE for next year. Hopefully, our new play caller will actually use his TE’s in his game plans.

WR. We all love Kupp but he’s always injured lately. Time to bring in another WR via draft or FA for the future. Btw, Trammel seems to make plays when given opportunities.

Regarding Defense

OLB. Hoecht is playing out of position and though he flashes occasionally he is mostly a liability on the field. Opponents constantly abuse him. So bite the bullet and sign a proven vet OLB, dammit! Sure, it will be costly but it will transform this D. And that’s exactly what those cap dollars are for. Draft doesn’t look like a realistic option because we’ve already invested our top 3 picks on O above (unless Snead gets incredibly lucky again). Just do it.

CB. Gotta keep drafting CB’s for the foreseeable future. I like Durant and still think Tomlinson could be a quality starter but they scarcely give him snaps unless others are injured. Maybe hedge their bets with late pick and a 2nd tier FA signing? I’ve soured on Witherspoon and Kendrick.

DL. What to do? AD won’t play forever, 2024 might be it for him. So I see Rams drafting DL relatively late here and maybe sign a FA if there’s any money left. Hoecht could help on DL and Mathis looks promising. DL is gonna be tricky for Rams in 2024.

S. Keep drafting for the foreseeable future. Fuller is a goner and should be. We’re not there yet at S.

Regarding ST

Actually might be finally coming around.

PK
P
Snapper
Returner (Trammel seems fine back there)

McVay’s patience with Blackburn might be rewarded in these final 7 games.

So there you have my thoughts.

Major changes in several areas:

Playcalling
QB
LOT
OC
TE (emphasis, anyway)
WR
OLB
CB

I do believe that if Snead can address these personnel areas with some combo of FA and early draft picks AND if McVay can bring himself to hand over playcalling duties, then Rams can be a force in next year’s playoff run.

Thoughts?
I would prefer not drafting a quarterback just yet. I think Stafford will finish out his contract and play through 2026. He'll be at the age where quarterbacks start thinking retirement. But I would also prefer a legit vet backup. Not these guys that almost guarantee a loss if they have to play. We knew Mayfield would be wanting a starting job somewhere. But perhaps Wentz would be open to sticking around and trying to resurrect his career. He'd be better than anyone McVay has ever had for backup.

I'd prefer a left tackle if there is a chance the guy could be one of those cornerstone tackles you can plug in there for the next ten years. But boy, a guy like Brock Bowers would sure be tempting. He might be that playmaking favorite target like Kelce is in KC. Marvin Harrison Jr. will be gone by the time we pick.

If they think an edge rusher is the instant impact type guy, then maybe go that route. Whatever the case I think they need to upgrade the offensive line and edge rusher position. And some vet guys in the secondary with the cap money they have available.

Upgrade the offensive line and edge rushers. Get more experience and better quality in the secondary. Add a legit playmaker. That would make them legit playoff contenders. And maybe a little more upgrades the following season they could be legit Superbowl contenders in 2025.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think we need an edge also. For me we need more physicality up front, especially on D.
I wasn't clear enough, I guess. I mentioned paying Hunter whatever it takes... that's Danielle Hunter of the Vikings. Best edge outside of Myles Garrett this year and a FA this offseason.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I would like to see the Rams address the edge position during free agency then use the draft for OLT, CB, and QB.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The rams seem to have an issue extending players that don't perform. Sure there are for-sures like AD and big Rob but this isn't the first extension that has blown up in the rams faces. If this season is truly gauging new faces then let the young talent hit the field. It's beyond mind boggling that mcvay doesn't have his backups ready to perform or doesn't have the confidence to play them is troublesome

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I wasn't clear enough, I guess. I mentioned paying Hunter whatever it takes... that's Danielle Hunter of the Vikings. Best edge outside of Myles Garrett this year and a FA this offseason.
Oops my bad--didn't recognize that player.:thumbsup1:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I would prefer not drafting a quarterback just yet. I think Stafford will finish out his contract and play through 2026. He'll be at the age where quarterbacks start thinking retirement. But I would also prefer a legit vet backup. Not these guys that almost guarantee a loss if they have to play. We knew Mayfield would be wanting a starting job somewhere. But perhaps Wentz would be open to sticking around and trying to resurrect his career. He'd be better than anyone McVay has ever had for backup.

I'd prefer a left tackle if there is a chance the guy could be one of those cornerstone tackles you can plug in there for the next ten years. But boy, a guy like Brock Bowers would sure be tempting. He might be that playmaking favorite target like Kelce is in KC. Marvin Harrison Jr. will be gone by the time we pick.

If they think an edge rusher is the instant impact type guy, then maybe go that route. Whatever the case I think they need to upgrade the offensive line and edge rusher position. And some vet guys in the secondary with the cap money they have available.

Upgrade the offensive line and edge rushers. Get more experience and better quality in the secondary. Add a legit playmaker. That would make them legit playoff contenders. And maybe a little more upgrades the following season they could be legit Superbowl contenders in 2025.
On other threads I've talked about going pretty extreme in extending the top guys to open up salary cap room.
The flip side to that is that I would want to bring in another heavy draft class. I'm thinking a trade back in the first to start things off, with a couple other trade-downs, I'm sure.
Unless there's a guy who's a difference maker at a position they need, I'm going with the trade back.
I'm then probably drafting the top LT prospect or Corner with my first pick.. the second pick would be whichever position I didn't take.
Then I'd go RB.
After that.. many different directions to go and so much will depend on FA and who's available at that point in the draft.

Definitely want a vet backup QB.. but will leave open possibility Bennett returns and can handle the job. That would save big $$.