Steven Jackson wants to save the Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
image-scaler.php

Steven Jackson is a free agent. The Cowboyshave not ruled out adding a veteran running back.

So it's fair to assume Jackson's tweet Thursday evening — a bat signal-like image of his No. 39 glowing over AT&T Stadium — was an act of self-promotion.

The Falcons released Jackson in February. The 32-year-old put up 1,250 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns in two seasons with Atlanta to add to his 10,138 yards and 56 touchdowns in St. Louis, where he spent the first nine years of his career.

Dallas has flirted with the idea of signing a different veteran back — former Titans and Jets speedster Chris Johnson — but doesn't plan to add to its running back stable soon. Jackson's name has not been mentioned as a candidate to join Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar, Joseph Randle and Lache Seastrunk on the Cowboys' depth chart.

Cant link the site at the moment, mobile version is lame.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd hate to see him wearing a Cowboys uniform, but they are a good team so I hope he gets the opportunity.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
i dont understand this bullshit. is he asking for too much money, is he asking for certain playing time what? don't fuckin tell me all these scrubs getting pick up in FA are better than Jackson, I don't care if he's 32 or not. these teams picking up these RB's, most are not better than Jackson

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I can watch Isaac Bruce in an number 88 49er uniform, I guess I can watch Jackson as a Cowboy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jackson is done. He's too big & muscular with no burst, no elusiveness, and he goes down if someone touches a shoestring; the dude is top heavy. Been saying it for a while and still think that is the case.

If I'm him right now I would drop a good 20 lbs to regain some burst. But sadly right now the guy is not really any better than some other options out there.

I can see why he likes Dallas... He can actually hit a hole there without being touched. But the self promo is the wrong way to get in, IMO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jackson is done. He's too big & muscular with no burst, no elusiveness, and he goes down if someone touches a shoestring; the dude is top heavy. Been saying it for a while and still think that is the case.

If I'm him right now I would drop a good 20 lbs to regain some burst. But sadly right now the guy is not really any better than some other options out there.

I can see why he likes Dallas... He can actually hit a hole there without being touched. But the self promo is the wrong way to get in, IMO.
I'm of the opinion MOST Cowboy's, and especially the Owner, are "Self Promoting!" So it may help!:LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When you fall in the eyes of the NFL, no one is there to catch you.....Sorry SJ#39:cry::sick::(:oops:

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

- Incorrect

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/02/13/atlanta-falcons-part-ways-steven-jackson/
Should Atlanta Falcons part ways with Steven Jackson?

Atlanta Falcons veteran running back Steven Jackson hasn’t been much of a factor in the team’s offense ever since joining the organization in 2013, as he’s averaged just 3.5 and 3.7 yards per carry in each of the past two seasons while also struggling through soft-tissue issues that will continue to be commonplace for a 31-year-old running back who one ran for over 1,000 yards in eight straight seasons.

Jackson has taken plenty of punishment on the field over his career, and the production just hasn’t been there for the veteran RB. He’s in an awkward spot now with the Falcons, as there’s been a regime change with Kyle Shanahan taking over for Dirk Koetter on offense as one of those big changes. Shanahan is famous for employing a zone-blocking scheme that favors one-cut backs, so some believe that Jackson is no longer a fit in the Falcons offense.

One of those people is ESPN NFL Nation’s respected Vaughn McClure, who adds that not only is Jackson no longer a fit in the offense, but he’s probably no longer a fit with the organization as a whole. Per McClure, the Falcons will “likely” release Jackson this offseason, as the team is looking for a “younger” and more explosive running back.

Heading into the final year of the contract he signed with the team back in 2013, S-Jax is set to make $3.75 million in 2015 with none of it being guaranteed. His contract wasn’t guaranteed last season either, so the Falcons can easily cut him and save a chunk of cash in order to pick up a better feature back.

For as old as Jackson is, I don’t think it’s fair to call him washed up. His stats look terrible, but he also played behind arguably the worst run-blocking offensive line, especially if you factor in the horrific performances from tight end Levine Toilolo. Jackson, per Pro Football Focus, forced 29 missed tackles as a rusher and averaged a whopping 2.69 yards after contact per carry, which was fifth in the league.

His bruising style hasn’t declined with age, and his trucking ability as one of the NFL’s premier bulldozing backs has clearly made up for his rapidly waning explosiveness and speed. Jackson was one of the better backs in the league last season at getting more than the blocking in front of him, and he didn’t really have a choice given the issues that the likes of rookie Jake Matthews had in the running game.

His putrid yards per carry averages don’t tell the whole story, because it’s hard to produce when there isn’t much there. Think about it: around 72% of Jackson’s yards on the ground came after he was already hit once.

Antone Smith is the Falcons explosive back and will be one of the more intriguing players at the position to watch in 2015, but even though the Falcons have an RB who can make big plays, you’d at least like to see their No. 1 guy bring some sort of a home-run element to the table. It’s no surprise that Jackson was one of the worst running backs at breaking off big runs, as he has just three rushes of at least 15 yards or more. Only Toby Gerhart, Bishop Sankey, Matt Asiata, and Fred Jackson had less such runs last season.

Jackson’s veteran savvy makes him a valuable pass protector, which allows him to salvage some value on passing downs even has his declining skill-set has caused his reception totals to plummet severely. In his heyday with the St. Louis Rams, Steven Jackson was not only one of the premier backs in the league, but he also had one season with 90 receptions, 806 yards, and three receiving touchdowns. He never had nearly has big of an impact as a receive since then, but he used to regularly post double the amount of receptions he did last season (20).

$3.75 million isn’t a lot of money for players at most positions, such as wide receiver, but it’s not that cheap at running back. Per Over The Cap, Jackson’s contract will have the 12th-largest value under the cap next season, and that $3.75 million could go to wholescale upgrades on defense, perhaps a reunion between Byron Maxwell and Dan Quinn, or it could help go to an even better back in free agency.

It’s easy to sit there and say that Jackson is an old back who serves no use to an NFL team anymore, but the numbers show that he’s still a quality back. He allowed just one pressure in pass protection last season to show that he’s still an elite blocking back, and he continued to move the pile as a rusher to try his best to overcome shoddy blocking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Coulda had him in 2004 if they didn't try to get cute with their draft.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
- Incorrect

Atlanta Falcons veteran running back Steven Jackson hasn’t been much of a factor in the team’s offense ever since joining the organization in 2013, as he’s averaged just 3.5 and 3.7 yards per carry in each of the past two seasons while also struggling through soft-tissue issues that will continue to be commonplace for a 31-year-old running back who one ran for over 1,000 yards in eight straight seasons.

Jackson has taken plenty of punishment on the field over his career, and the production just hasn’t been there for the veteran RB. He’s in an awkward spot now with the Falcons, as there’s been a regime change with Kyle Shanahan taking over for Dirk Koetter on offense as one of those big changes. Shanahan is famous for employing a zone-blocking scheme that favors one-cut backs, so some believe that Jackson is no longer a fit in the Falcons offense.

One of those people is ESPN NFL Nation’s respected Vaughn McClure, who adds that not only is Jackson no longer a fit in the offense, but he’s probably no longer a fit with the organization as a whole. Per McClure, the Falcons will “likely” release Jackson this offseason, as the team is looking for a “younger” and more explosive running back.

Heading into the final year of the contract he signed with the team back in 2013, S-Jax is set to make $3.75 million in 2015 with none of it being guaranteed. His contract wasn’t guaranteed last season either, so the Falcons can easily cut him and save a chunk of cash in order to pick up a better feature back.

For as old as Jackson is, I don’t think it’s fair to call him washed up. His stats look terrible, but he also played behind arguably the worst run-blocking offensive line, especially if you factor in the horrific performances from tight end Levine Toilolo. Jackson, per Pro Football Focus, forced 29 missed tackles as a rusher and averaged a whopping 2.69 yards after contact per carry, which was fifth in the league.

His bruising style hasn’t declined with age, and his trucking ability as one of the NFL’s premier bulldozing backs has clearly made up for his rapidly waning explosiveness and speed. Jackson was one of the better backs in the league last season at getting more than the blocking in front of him, and he didn’t really have a choice given the issues that the likes of rookie Jake Matthews had in the running game.

His putrid yards per carry averages don’t tell the whole story, because it’s hard to produce when there isn’t much there. Think about it: around 72% of Jackson’s yards on the ground came after he was already hit once.

Antone Smith is the Falcons explosive back and will be one of the more intriguing players at the position to watch in 2015, but even though the Falcons have an RB who can make big plays, you’d at least like to see their No. 1 guy bring some sort of a home-run element to the table. It’s no surprise that Jackson was one of the worst running backs at breaking off big runs, as he has just three rushes of at least 15 yards or more. Only Toby Gerhart, Bishop Sankey, Matt Asiata, and Fred Jackson had less such runs last season.

Jackson’s veteran savvy makes him a valuable pass protector, which allows him to salvage some value on passing downs even has his declining skill-set has caused his reception totals to plummet severely. In his heyday with the St. Louis Rams, Steven Jackson was not only one of the premier backs in the league, but he also had one season with 90 receptions, 806 yards, and three receiving touchdowns. He never had nearly has big of an impact as a receive since then, but he used to regularly post double the amount of receptions he did last season (20).

$3.75 million isn’t a lot of money for players at most positions, such as wide receiver, but it’s not that cheap at running back. Per Over The Cap, Jackson’s contract will have the 12th-largest value under the cap next season, and that $3.75 million could go to wholescale upgrades on defense, perhaps a reunion between Byron Maxwell and Dan Quinn, or it could help go to an even better back in free agency.

It’s easy to sit there and say that Jackson is an old back who serves no use to an NFL team anymore, but the numbers show that he’s still a quality back. He allowed just one pressure in pass protection last season to show that he’s still an elite blocking back, and he continued to move the pile as a rusher to try his best to overcome shoddy blocking.

Exactly. Jackson looked very good last year for Atlanta. It's just hard to run when there's no where to run.

I think he can be a 1000 yard back, even now, in Dallas with that OL. He's always had great ability to read the holes as they open up and with the OL they have, that's often. He'll find the right lanes and burst through them. Even if he isn't fast, he can pick up fairly big chunks and get more after contact. It's why Frank Gore is still very successful, he has a similar skillset.

Also, his top tier pass pro would be nice, Romo gets hurt enough, and with their inexperienced backs, it'd be a lot more.

I'd hate to see Jackson in a Cowboys uniform, but it'd be an awesome move for him and a good one for them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't remember if it was Marshall Faulk or SJAX, but one or the other said it's over for a Running Back in the NFL when the defense tends to hit you, instead of you hitting them. Even a big bodied, muscled guy like SJAX will get injured (maybe permanently) because he's slow and no longer elusive.

Dude needs to retire.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Jackson found a starting spot behind a great o line with a great QB, he could have a good season.

The thing is, he doesn't boast the intangibles. I never hear great leader or teacher. Doesn't mean they aren't there.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Look at Dallas' depth chart though!
Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar, Joseph Randle and Lache Seastrunk

Murray is gone and Darren McFadden is the guy?...sorry @Rynie! I'd say the boys outta be taking a good look at 39. McFadden has flashed but tends to get hurt. And even if DMC doesnt get hurt sjax has got something to offer I would think.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Murray is gone and Darren McFadden is the guy?...sorry @Rynie! I'd say the boys outta be taking a good look at 39. McFadden has flashed but tends to get hurt. And even if DMC doesnt get hurt sjax has got something to offer I would think.

I would counter that SJ tends to get hurt as well..His hammies now have the tear resistance of a piece of paper mache...I've always liked Jackson, but I think he's in real danger of becoming a hanger-on...He's got cash, travel and enjoy it...

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie

Is he any good anymore? Honestly, when we played the Rams were the only times I saw him play. I'm not worried about our RB situation like everyone else, but quality depth is NEVER a bad thing.

Oh, and we didn't bring in McFadden to be our #1. That'll be the panty-thief, Randle. He actually had one of the higher YPC after contact last season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
- Incorrect

Gotta agree with Merlin. I think SJ is done. IMO, a big reason why his yards before contact figure is so low is because he's slow to the hole. He doesn't have burst anymore. That was becoming apparent his last couple years in STL.

CodeMonkey

What about pass pro? I bet the old man is better than all of them.

CodeMonkey

Is he any good anymore? Honestly, when we played the Rams were the only times I saw him play. I'm not worried about our RB situation like everyone else, but quality depth is NEVER a bad thing.

Oh, and we didn't bring in McFadden to be our #1. That'll be the panty-thief, Randle. He actually had one of the higher YPC after contact last season.
Glad you chimed in. Thats good info. Fantasy season is coming right up...you should join us. I think Jackson has something to offer especially on pass plays blocking and catching out of bfield. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out for y'all. Good luck!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Glad you chimed in. Thats good info. Fantasy season is coming right up...you should join us.
Thanks for the invite, but will never play fantasy football. It just doesn't pique my interest.