Steven Jackson headed for Atlanta Falcons?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145471/article/is-steven-jackson-missing-piece-for-atlanta-falcons?campaign=Ext_Email_1st10_Daily&cvosrc=Ext.Email.1st10.Daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... st10.Daily</a>

Once it became clear that Steven Jackson would void the final year of his contract with the St. Louis Rams, Around The League's Gregg Rosenthal listed the Atlanta Falcons as a likely suitor for the veteran tailback.

That match is picking up steam. Jackson's priority isn't to settle for a potential playoff team; he wants to finish his career with a legitimate Super Bowl contender. The New England Patriots are the only team with a better regular-season record than the Falcons over the past five seasons, while the St. Louis Rams are dead-last over that span.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch identified the Falcons as one of Jackson's most likely suitors, which meshes with the feeling in the air at the NFL Scouting Combine the past couple of days.

"(Steven Jackson's) likely landing spot seems to be Atlanta," Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports tweeted, "based on what was happening at the NFL Scouting Combine."

With signs continuing to point toward Tony Gonzalez returning for at least one more season, Jackson could be the missing ingredient to the Falcons offense as a clear upgrade on the soon-to-be-released running back Michael Turner.

Had Jackson been around to salt away a commanding third-quarter lead against the San Francisco 49ers, there's a good chance it would have been the Falcons facing the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLVII.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This would be around the time that most media guys are going to claim some sort of inside knowledge of Jackson's destination, but truth is, nobody knows right now. Atlanta would be a good spot for him, but I'd rather see him go to the AFC - for obvious reasons. The Colts have come up as another likely spot, and that would just be creepy after Dickerson went there and Marshall came from there.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I really think we'll get a right /oportunity of first refusal. If I'd been Snead and it was a legal thing to do,I'd have secured one in return FOR the right to void.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
I really think we'll get a right /oportunity of first refusal. If I'd been Snead and it was a legal thing to do,I'd have secured one in return FOR the right to void.
While good in theory, that wasn't a part of the deal - or it would have already been revealed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
While good in theory, that wasn't a part of the deal - or it would have already been revealed.
Unless of course Dean Wormer was in their contracts dept :hehe:
As I included though the "opportunity" may have been a sort of "gentlemens agreement" which would not impair others from thinkingit was a part of the pair of dimes :tooth:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was listening to a local radio station and they were talking about how football is a business and look at the Rams and Steven Jackson situation. They were making it out to be like the Rams front office shoved SJ into the street and said get the hell out of here. WTF? The media sure likes to make something out of nothing. If SJ leaves, nothing but love and respect from the Rams and fans. We would love to keep him too if possible, but it's not like the FO is pushing him away.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't see the Falcons as a fit. They are cutting Michael Turner and why would they go for another older RB?

I really believe SJack might be screwed if he wants to go to a playoff team. They either already have stud RBs or they don't sign older players to win now.

A team that might fit is San Diego. Ryan Matthews is always hurt, they like to sign players, have an established QB, are likely going to draft an OL w/ their 1st pick and have enough talent to be a wild card team. Only team in the NFC that might go for him is the Giants but cutting Ahmad Bradshaw means they wanna commit w/ David Wilson and they didn't use a 1st rounder on him to be a backup.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
I don't see the Falcons as a fit. They are cutting Michael Turner and why would they go for another older RB?
To make a push for the SB this year. Some speculate that if they were able to grind away against the 49ers, that it would have been THEY who made it to the SB instead of San Fran. They don't have to keep him around forever. One or two years, depending on how he performs this year and if he's able to be the piece that puts them over the top. Of course they (along with whoever else makes it that far), are going to get blasted by the Rams in the playoffs anyway, so it's all moot.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Man how pissed would Jackson be if he went to the Falcons and we beat them in the championship game?

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
This would be around the time that most media guys are going to claim some sort of inside knowledge of Jackson's destination, but truth is, nobody knows right now. Atlanta would be a good spot for him, but I'd rather see him go to the AFC - for obvious reasons. The Colts have come up as another likely spot, and that would just be creepy after Dickerson went there and Marshall came from there.
Atlanta, good luck and best wishes SJ...Hope he gets a shot at that SB ring
train
ps any chance we get a pick for losing him in FA

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nighttrain said:
X said:
Atlanta, good luck and best wishes SJ...Hope he gets a shot at that SB ring
train
ps any chance we get a pick for losing him in FA
We could get a compensatory pick next year, depending on how well he does, and who we sign in free agency ourselves.
Anywhere from a 3rd to a 7th.

Angry Ram

X said:
Angry Ram said:
To make a push for the SB this year. Some speculate that if they were able to grind away against the 49ers, that it would have been THEY who made it to the SB instead of San Fran. They don't have to keep him around forever. One or two years, depending on how he performs this year and if he's able to be the piece that puts them over the top. Of course they (along with whoever else makes it that far), are going to get blasted by the Rams in the playoffs anyway, so it's all moot.

EEhh..IDK. Seeing how they're getting rid of Turner b/c of the high amount of carries and signing Jack doesn't make any sense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Angry Ram said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

EEhh..IDK. Seeing how they're getting rid of Turner b/c of the high amount of carries and signing Jack doesn't make any sense.

Well; they are getting rid of Turner mostly because of his cap number.

And... He's not in the same league as SJ any longer (if ever).

I see Atlanta as a good fit if SJ really wants to leave. They are a contender! If Gonzalas comes back... perfect storm!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
Man how pissed would Jackson be if he went to the Falcons and we beat them in the championship game?

THIS.

And you know what? It could happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

THIS.

And you know what? It could happen.
If that happens, then awesome. At that point, I would have absolutely zero empathy for Jackson.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
RamsSince1969 said:
I was listening to a local radio station and they were talking about how football is a business and look at the Rams and Steven Jackson situation. They were making it out to be like the Rams front office shoved SJ into the street and said get the hell out of here. WTF? The media sure likes to make something out of nothing. If SJ leaves, nothing but love and respect from the Rams and fans. We would love to keep him too if possible, but it's not like the FO is pushing him away.
Pretty sure I heard the same thing and I was like "what the fuck?".
Steven Jackson has been THE RAMS for the last 8 yrs.
I would love to see him here for the next three years as we win the Superbowl!

GO RAMS!!!!

Angry Ram

CGI_Ram said:
Angry Ram said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Well; they are getting rid of Turner mostly because of his cap number.

And... He's not in the same league as SJ any longer (if ever).

I see Atlanta as a good fit if SJ really wants to leave. They are a contender! If Gonzalas comes back... perfect storm!

Scheme wise, yeah SJack is a great fit there. I just think they'd be better going off with youth.

Simba

Rookie
ATL, has already cut M.Turner (and DE Abraham and CB Robinson).Does it mean something ... ?

Angry Ram

Simba said:
ATL, has already cut M.Turner (and DE Abraham and CB Robinson).Does it mean something ... ?

Well they also have William Moore and Brent Grimes to resign. And maybe Tony Gonzalez.

Here's a quesion...would you sign Michael Turner?

Simba

Rookie
Angry Ram said:
Simba said:

Well they also have William Moore and Brent Grimes to resign. And maybe Tony Gonzalez.

Here's a quesion...would you sign Michael Turner?

ATL cut these guys,saving 15 m. from salary cap.Turner (7 m.) had similar contract than SJ39 but I don't think they are going to resign Grimes (injury keept out last year).Gonzales, for his last pro-year, is going to accept the deal by ATL.They need just agree with Moore and after can talk with former Oregon State ... (having salary space with these moves).