Steven Jackson bought into his own hype last season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Steven Jackson: ‘I kind of believed my own hype’
By Jeff Schultz - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In his initial foray into the art world, Steven Jackson sold eight of his uniquely mounted photographs at a recent show in Los Angeles, with one going for as much as $18,000 and one buyer coming from as far away as Hong Kong.

“I’m international!” the Falcons’ running back said.

+
BRANT SANDERLIN/Falcons running back Steven Jackson during training camp July 25, 2014. BRANT SANDERLIN /BSANDERLIN@AJC.COM

All of which probably makes the artist known as S. Jax more of a Renaissance man than most of his NFL fraternity members. But Jackson isn’t focused on his skills with a camera or a sketch pad right now. He expected his first season with the Falcons to culminate in a Super Bowl, but instead he labored on a torn hamstring, had the worst season of his football career and felt stressed most days.

Jackson left St. Louis because he wanted to win. Like most others, he got drunk on the expectations for a Falcons franchise that came close to reaching the Super Bowl the year before. But when last season ended, the Rams had a better record (7-9) than the Falcons (4-12). Jackson believed he had let himself, the team and a city down.

“There were quite a few of the years in St. Louis when I shouldered a large burden, and I knew going into every season what I was going into,” Jackson said. “When I came here last year, I kind of believed my own hype. The team was so close to going to the Super Bowl, and I thought I was going to be the missing link. Then reality slaps you. It’s still a team sport.

“This year I know I don’t have to shoulder the burden of carrying the franchise. I’m not the missing piece, I’m just one piece. I feel comfortable knowing that I can still compete at a high level. But all of the unnecessary stress is gone.”

Teams don’t go 4-12 because one player fails. Teams go 4-12 when almost everybody fails. It’s natural to wonder what an NFL running back has left after 10 seasons and at the age of 31, but it’s not fair to judge Jackson on last season, when he rushed for a career-low 543 yards and 3.5 per carry (his previous career average: 4.2). He was injured in Week 2, ironically against St. Louis, and ran behind one of the NFL’s worst offensive lines. Injuries to wide receivers Julio Jones and Roddy White further limited the offense.

Jackson said he is “at peace” now. But it took most of the offseason to find serenity. He was humbled by what happened in 2013.

“When you’re hurt, you want to get out there because you hear the whispers, you hear the press, you know everybody expects something out of you,” he said. “You get caught in the net. But when you get away from it all, you can look at things and evaluate the year accurately. I think I underestimated everything — the move to a new team, to a new city. I had children I had to explain things to. But I won’t have to deal with that now.”

There’s a different vibe in this training camp from last July. There’s no euphoria over the additions of Jackson and Osi Umenyiora and the return of Tony Gonzalez, following the near-miss in the NFC title-game loss to San Francisco. Everybody tends to be grounded after 12-loss seasons.

“I thought for sure we were going to the Super Bowl,” Jackson said. “I feel like we all got slapped by a piece of humble pie.

“I drank some of that Kool-Aid, and the Kool-Aid was passed around.”

The Falcons’ expectations for Jackson in 2014 aren’t much different than they were a year ago. He doesn’t need to be the three-time Pro Bowler he was in St. Louis. He is here to provide a power-running element to an offense that largely still will revolve around quarterback Matt Ryan, Jones and White. His receiving ability also can help make up some of the void left by Gonzalez’s retirement. Talk that rookie Devonta Freeman will push Jackson for the starting job and ultimately win it seems premature.

“We saw in the last couple of games the kind of running back Steven is before he got injured,” coach Mike Smith said. “I like the other guys as well, and we’re going to have multiplicity with our packages. But I’m very confident Steven Jackson is still an elite running back in the NFL.”

Jackson has traveled the world, photographed people and places along the way. He collects art. He also draws and once aspired to be a cartoonist. But he didn’t attempt to draw any parallels between art and sports.

“In the art world you have to make yourself vulnerable, and in the football world you can guard yourself,” he said. “You have 10 other guys on the field with football. In art, it’s just you, and you’re exposed to the critics.”

Football doesn’t have critics?

“It’s not the same,” he said.

There’s only so much he can control.

Steven Jackson bought into his own hype last season

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 28, 2014

b7bc73a6ec235da919ada25d0da0bfc2.jpeg
AP

Steven Jackson was used to carrying a bad Rams team, so it’s perhaps natural he thought he’d be the thing that pushed an already good Falcons team over the top.

Instead, the season was as much of a disaster for him as for them, with his streak of 1,000-yard seasons ending at eight, and the Falcons falling miserably to 4-12.

“There were quite a few of the years in St. Louis when I shouldered a large burden, and I knew going into every season what I was going into,” Jackson said, via Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “When I came here last year, I kind of believed my own hype. The team was so close to going to the Super Bowl, and I thought I was going to be the missing link. Then reality slaps you. It’s still a team sport.

“This year I know I don’t have to shoulder the burden of carrying the franchise. I’m not the missing piece, I’m just one piece. I feel comfortable knowing that I can still compete at a high level. But all of the unnecessary stress is gone.”

The Falcons actually need Jackson to be a bigger piece this year. With tight end Tony Gonzalez retired, there’s a big offensive void that someone needs to fill.

Being well would be a good first step, since Jackson’s career-low numbers last year were attributed to a hamstring problem that bothered him throughout. But the Falcons also fixed their disaster of an offensive line, so the cumulative result should be a better chance for Jackson to get back to being himself.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wonder if he's OK with the committee approach.
Glad we let go when we did,no offense but SJ is ABD

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't put it all on SJax. That offensive line might as well have been a stack of bean bags.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
All I know is he's sure looking stiff these days and gets hurt a lot.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
One day the Rams will bring him in to put his name in the ring of honor! I hope so, anyway, he deserve it. IMO

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Too bad you didn't stick it out brah, woulda got you one of those shiny rings this year... :effemine: :heh:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't see the need to antagonize Jackson. He did so much for this team and is our ALL TIME leading rusher. It sucks that we're finally getting good when he's too old and weathered to contribute.

I'm still rooting for him to bounce back this year.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't see the need to antagonize Jackson. He did so much for this team and is our ALL TIME leading rusher. It sucks that we're finally getting good when he's too old and weathered to contribute.

I'm still rooting for him to bounce back this year.
Yeah, I don't blame him for wanting to go ring chasing. Guy deserves it, after rushing behind some of the worst lines in Ram's history and recent NFL memory and still putting up good yardage and all but keeping us relevant by himself. Who else has a right to want to ride off into the sunset?

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again with the hammy.......
-----------------------------------
Mike Smith: Steven Jackson “will be ready” for Week One after hamstring injury
Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 29, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwywztiyy2zjm2jkzmfjzdi3nzg1mdbkzda3zte3nta2-e1406677419645.jpeg
AP

We may have to wait until the regular season to see whether Steven Jackson has returned to top form.

Jackson, the Falcons’ starting tailback, sustained a left hamstring injury on Monday, coach Mike Smith told reporters today.

The good news? Smith anticipates Jackson will be available for the September 7 regular season opener against New Orleans.

“I don’t think it’s going to be anything that’s going to be real significant. He will be ready for the first game,” Smith said.

Jackson dealt with hamstring and toe injuries and missed four games in 2013, his first season with Atlanta. However, Smith said Jackson injured the opposite hamstring on Monday.

The 31-year-old Jackson rushed for a career-low 543 yards on 157 carries last season, gaining just 3.5 yards per carry.

Fourth-year pro Jacquizz Rodgers and rookie Devonta Freeman are among the top reserve options behind Jackson, who’s entering his 11th NFL season.

Jackson probably didn’t figure to get too much work in the exhibition games; he had a combined 25 carries in three preseason games in 2013, and he didn’t play at all in the finale. The play of Rodgers and Freeman now becomes something to watch all the more closely during the summer. Freeman, a fourth-rounder from Florida State, is the key new addition to a running game that struggled a season ago.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Warrior in his time, but is injury prone, pulls, tears, twists, back . . .hammy, knee . .. .

time to retire.