Stephen Wilhite, creator of GIF dies at 74.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I figure that since all of us - or most of us - have used a GIF, he deserves a thread of his own. It's far from his only contribution (he was a computer engineer and really intelligent), but this is what he's known for. So rest in peace, Mr. Wilhite.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...f-the-gif-dies-at-74/ar-AAVqcVM?ocid=msedgntp

Sad Cry GIF

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
74? :wow2:
Fuck that - way too young!! :sunglasses:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He will be missed for his many contributions - and yes, I was on both Compuserve and AOL.

And GIF is pronounced like the peanut butter "Jif". When it was introduced the tech docs made that clear.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
He will be missed for his many contributions - and yes, I was on both Compuserve and AOL.

And GIF is pronounced like the peanut butter "Jif". When it was introduced the tech docs made that clear.
Do you have a source for that Akrasian? The G in Graphics Interchange Format does not appear to be pronounced with a J.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect it was a genius engineer's joke

i

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, that was interesting read @Akrasian :thumbsup1:

The pronunciation;

The creators of the format pronounced the acronym GIF as /dʒɪf/, with a soft g as in 'gin'. Wilhite stated that the intended pronunciation deliberately echoes the American peanut butter brand Jif, and CompuServe employees would often quip "choosy developers choose GIF", a spoof of Jif's television commercials.[11] The word is now also widely pronounced /ɡɪf/, with a hard g as in 'gift'.[12] In 2017, an informal poll on the programming website Stack Overflow showed some numerical preference for the hard-g pronunciation,[13] especially among respondents in eastern Europe, though both the soft g and pronouncing each letter individually were found to be popular in Asia and parts of Africa.[14]

Dictionary.com[15] cites both, indicating /dʒɪf/ as the primary pronunciation, while Cambridge Dictionary of American English[16] offers only the hard-g pronunciation. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary[17] and Oxford Dictionaries cite both pronunciations, but place the hard g first: /ɡɪf, dʒɪf/.[18][19][20][21] The New Oxford American Dictionary gave only /dʒɪf/ in its second edition[22] but updated it to /dʒɪf, ɡɪf/ in the third edition.[23]

The disagreement over the pronunciation has led to heated Internet debate. On the occasion of receiving a lifetime achievement award at the 2013 Webby Awards ceremony, Wilhite publicly rejected the hard-g pronunciation;[12][24][25] his speech led to more than 17,000 posts on Twitter and dozens of news articles.[26] The White House[12] and the TV program Jeopardy! also entered the debate in 2013.[25]

In February 2020, The J.M. Smucker Company, the owners of the Jif brand, partnered with the animated image database and search engine Giphy to release a limited-edition "Jif vs. GIF" (hashtagged as #JIFvsGIF) jar of peanut butter that had a label humorously declaring the soft-g pronunciation to refer exclusively to the peanut butter, and GIF to be exclusively pronounced with the hard-g pronunciation.[27]