Steelers' Rooney against expanding instant replay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why am I not surprised by the Rooney's opposition to this type of transparency?

By Gregg Rosenthal

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...elers-rooney-against-expanding-instant-replay

NFL owners and coaches have started to arrive in Phoenix for the NFL Annual Meeting. There's a lot on the agenda,including 23 rule change proposals. Thirteen of those proposals have to do with expanding instant replay.

If Steelers president Art Rooney II has anything to say about it, none of the instant replay proposals will pass.

"In terms of what we see on the agenda so far, as you probably know, there are a lot of different proposals that have to do with instant replay," Rooney toldSteelers.com. "I personally am not really in favor of any of them. In general, I just don't think we need to increase the number of interruptions we have in our game at this point.

"I think the instant replay system is working fine. Sure, it would be nice to have different and more plays reviewed, but you have to do that in the context of how many can you really fit into a game and not wind up with a four-hour game."

The proposals range from making all plays reviewable to expanding replay for personal foul penalties. And Rooney's dismissal of any of those ideas is a bad sign for teams trying to enact change. Rooney remains one of the most influential voices in the league, and a bellwether of entrenched ownership thinking.

Rooney is also against making the extra point harder, as the Patriots have proposed. He literally laughed off a suggestion from the Colts to adjust scoring to create a nine-point possession.

In short: This NFL Annual Meeting may not include much in the way of dramatic innovation to the game's rules.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they would stop changing the rules and allow the refs to learn them and use them as is for several years then there would be less need for instant replay. Goodell and his 'new ideas' are what are causing all of the bad calls IMO

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If they would stop changing the rules and allow the refs to learn them and use them as is for several years then there would be less need for instant replay. Goodell and his 'new ideas' are what are causing all of the bad calls IMO

That's what a lot of people would like you to believe. But the refs union is more at fault for the issues we see on the field than Goodell BY A MILE.

Why is there no system in place to help refs learn more? The union, that's why.

Why isn't there a "bench" of guys ready to step in and replace a ref that is making errors all the time? The union, that's why.

Why aren't refs full time? The union, that's why.

Why aren't refs demoted when they are making mistake after mistake? The union, that's why.

Why aren't there more guys on the field to improve things like missing penalties or overturning flags thrown that shouldn't have been? The union, that's why.

The problem is Goodell caved because the media was excoriating the NFL over the replacement refs, even though they didn't really do a worse job. In hindsight if you could get the truth out of Goodell I bet he'd admit that it was a mistake to cave, it's hurt the NFL because the quality of the work being done by the refs just goes on and on. every single week there are big mistakes. How many games were decided by refs missing calls, or making bad calls? I'm not buying into any conspiracy stuff, I think that kind of talk is flat out dumb, but the refs aren't doing nearly as good of a job and the fans, the media, the NFL and the refs union all know it. It cannot be missed, it's out in the open for everyone to see.

Too bad the contract was for 8 years, it runs until 2020. Get used to bad officiating. And guys like Rooney don't like replay, if I recall the Rooney family, like a handful of owners, has been against replay from the start.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
It's not like it matters. The refs will still fuck it up.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
For a billion dollar organization, they sure don't know shit about investing in better technology. FIFA already uses motion sensor technology on goal posts to determine if the ball passed the top of the goal post. Just implement this shit on gloves, jerseys, and the field so there's less replays, more flow.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
t is not that they can't do it, it is that they don't want transparency in the game. This coming from a guy who seems to say nothing about his gran daughters having sex on the big screen

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's what a lot of people would like you to believe. But the refs union is more at fault for the issues we see on the field than Goodell BY A MILE.

Why is there no system in place to help refs learn more? The union, that's why.

Why isn't there a "bench" of guys ready to step in and replace a ref that is making errors all the time? The union, that's why.

Why aren't refs full time? The union, that's why.

Why aren't refs demoted when they are making mistake after mistake? The union, that's why.

Why aren't there more guys on the field to improve things like missing penalties or overturning flags thrown that shouldn't have been? The union, that's why.

The problem is Goodell caved because the media was excoriating the NFL over the replacement refs, even though they didn't really do a worse job. In hindsight if you could get the truth out of Goodell I bet he'd admit that it was a mistake to cave, it's hurt the NFL because the quality of the work being done by the refs just goes on and on. every single week there are big mistakes. How many games were decided by refs missing calls, or making bad calls? I'm not buying into any conspiracy stuff, I think that kind of talk is flat out dumb, but the refs aren't doing nearly as good of a job and the fans, the media, the NFL and the refs union all know it. It cannot be missed, it's out in the open for everyone to see.

Too bad the contract was for 8 years, it runs until 2020. Get used to bad officiating. And guys like Rooney don't like replay, if I recall the Rooney family, like a handful of owners, has been against replay from the start.

I do agree that there should be full time refs but that is as much the NFL's doing as it is the union. All of that would come out of the NFL pockets: extra refs, full time refs would need more pay, extra training.

I would love to see them get rid of the old schoolers and get a full time referee program that works on their skills too. Not just class room skills diagnosing plays but also on the field, working on positioning and whatever else they needed to do. For all of the money that the league brings and even Goodell himself makes they could afford to do this and put a better producton on the field.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
"Sure, it would be nice to have different and more plays reviewed, but you have to do that in the context of how many can you really fit into a game and not wind up with a four-hour game."
This is the hypocritical line that bothers me most, as he would totally not give a rat's ass about a 4-hour game if it meant more TV timeouts and commercials. For the rest of us, I can't imagine any die-hard fan that plans their week around the *one* time they get to watch their team on Sunday complaining about a few extra minutes of getting calls right.

jjab360

Legend
Why should we be prioritizing time constraints over a fair and correctly called game? I don't get it.

Debacled

Starter
This is the hypocritical line that bothers me most, as he would totally not give a rat's ass about a 4-hour game if it meant more TV timeouts and commercials. For the rest of us, I can't imagine any die-hard fan that plans their week around the *one* time they get to watch their team on Sunday complaining about a few extra minutes of getting calls right.

My thoughts exactly.

He wants less "interruptions", but I tend to think all those TV timeouts kinda count as "Interruptions"

bluecoconuts

Legend
t is not that they can't do it, it is that they don't want transparency in the game. This coming from a guy who seems to say nothing about his gran daughters having sex on the big screen

I'm assuming you're talking about Rooney, in that case, I need some names for uh... Research.

Unless they're uggos.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Let coaches be able to challenge yellow flags and I will be happy. Would be more than fine with expanded reviews. Let the game last 10 hours for all I care.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Of course a guy from the Stealers or the Cheatriots, or the Cowgirls will be opposed to changing the replay rules. Those are the teams that get most of the calls in their favor. Why would they want to ruin a good thing for themselves?

WvuIN02

Starter
Of course a guy from the Stealers or the Cheatriots, or the Cowgirls will be opposed to changing the replay rules. Those are the teams that get most of the calls in their favor. Why would they want to ruin a good thing for themselves?

Didnt Dallas just get hosed on that? This post reeks of sour grapes. The Steelers and Patriots are generally good teams year in and out which might have something to do with that.