Stedman Bailey finding his stride/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Stedman Bailey finding his stride
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14373/stedman-bailey-finding-his-stride

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Through the spring and into summer's training camp, there probably wasn't a more consistently impressive wide receiver on the St. Louis Rams roster than Stedman Bailey.

“Obviously, I think even going back to training camp and spring, he had just a tremendous, tremendous practices, week-in-and-week-out, day-in-and-day-out." offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said.

But every time Bailey made a one-handed catch in traffic or elevated above a taller defensive back to make another circus catch, instead of looking forward to what could come, the general reaction was 'Too bad he's suspended for the first four games.'

Subtracting Bailey from the mix right as the season began wasn't as big of a loss as it might have seemed when the suspension was announced in May because Brian Quick emerged as the team's most reliable receiving threat with fellow big wideout Kenny Britt operating on the other side. In fact, the Rams' passing attack was much better than expected and even ranked in the top 10 in the league at times during the first six weeks.

After the NFL altered some of its drug policy in September, Bailey's suspension was reduced to time already served, which amounted to two games. That certainly didn't figure to be as debilitating as a four-game (and it would have been five weeks because of a bye week in there) absence would have been.

However, by the time Bailey returned, a starting job that he could have competed for in the summer was now occupied by Quick.

"Definitely that set me back some," Bailey said. "I can’t do anything but blame myself on that one. But it just feels good to be finally back in the groove now and on the same page with my quarterback trying to make plays."

The Rams lost Quick to a season-ending shoulder injury in their Oct. 26 loss to Kansas City. After that injury became clear, Rams coach Jeff Fisher pointed to Bailey as part of a group expected to help replace Quick's production. To that point, he'd had just four catches for 53 yards. And his resurgence didn't come quickly thereafter, either.

Bailey provided only four catches for 34 yards in the three weeks immediately following the Kansas City game. It was clear that Bailey wasn't yet comfortable in his return and he and then quarterback Austin Davis weren't exactly clicking.

“I think being a young player especially when you miss two weeks or whatever it was, there’s a little bit of a learning curve getting back," Schottenheimer said. "Then there’s a transition at quarterback, but again he’s playing really, really well right now.”

That transition at quarterback has apparently been a big part of helping Bailey get on track. In Hill's first start back against Denver, he and Britt hooked up repeatedly for Britt's best day as a Ram. With teams then more aware of Britt, it has opened more opportunities for Bailey over the past two weeks.

Bailey has taken advantage of those opportunities, setting a career high in receiving yards two weeks ago against San Diego with seven catches for 89 yards and a touchdown. He bettered that performance in an encore against Oakland last week in which he posted five catches for 100 yards.

"I’ve had lots of targets thrown my way and I’ve been able to capitalize on most of them and develop some good chemistry with Shaun," Bailey said. "He trusts me right now and I feel like I’m getting in a pretty good groove."

The key for Bailey now is to keep doing it consistently. He flashed similar promise near the end of last season but took those first 10 games before he offered more than special teams value this season. If Bailey can finish the season strong, Quick recovers and Britt returns, the Rams can finally feel pretty good about their receiving corps moving forward.

There's a lot of questions there, though, and only Bailey has the ability to supply his answer before the season is over.

"I think he’s real comfortable now, coming back," Schottenheimer said. "Dialed in on the system. Doesn’t surprise us, the catches that he makes, he makes those all the time out here. Got terrific body control, really good feet and those catches for him are kind of ... they’re just easy for him to make. Add him to the mix of the guys that we’ve got and try to spread people around and move the ball to different people.”

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Get Quick back and I think we are set at receiver, who would have thunk it?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
As long as they resign Britt if not that only leaves us with Quick,Baily,Austin, and Givens.
Yeah, if we have all our guys from this year back I think we're good to go. Let's pray there are some excellent OL prospects to choose from in the draft, that's where we are thinnest.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Yeah, if we have all our guys from this year back I think we're good to go. Let's pray there are some excellent OL prospects to choose from in the draft, that's where we are thinnest.

Yeah would like to get a look and see what Barrett Jones can do at center the last few games. If hes the future and we resign Barkesdale all we need is a RG and some depth.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Yeah would like to get a look and see what Barrett Jones can do at center the last few games. If hes the future and we resign Barkesdale all we need is a RG and some depth.
I'm with you, it's crazy to me how stocked with talent we are on this team all of a sudden, seems like we have some depth now at CB, S, DL, RB, WR, TE and our kickers are great. Not there yet, but we are a whole lot closer..

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Ain't nothing gonna break his stride. Ain't nothing gonna slow him down. Oh no. He's got to keep on moving.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm feeling a little paranoid with Quick tbh. Not sure he's gonna be a guy they can count on coming back on time and being productive from game 1 on, given all the comments about how bad that injury was. And it's not just the physical side but the mental side too.

But it's great to see what so many of us have been waiting for actually come to pass. Frustrating that it took that long, but whatever. At least it looks like we have a legit starter in Bailey and that's a big step forward for this offense.

Austin needs to be the next guy in that discussion. They need to get him into some go routes and posts to keep everyone from rolling up on him. Just like my belief in Bailey never waivered, same deal with Tavon. He can play in this league. Rams gotta get him going in more than just jet sweeps and gadget plays.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Wagoner's reasons for Bailey's early season struggle is bullshit. im really sick of this guy. Davis could only bomb passes to his 6'3+sized receivers and even they had to jump 4 feet off the ground to catch it. And he was only targeting those big guys and his first and second reads. Austin was fun to watch in the beginning and I knew he was a short term act that wouldv eventually implode and he shouldve been out of there two games earlier IMO and we could be sitting at 7-5 right now but i digress. Does anyone remember bailey's preseason and late last season emergence? he would've picked up right where he left off after the suspension with bradford or Hill under center. thats the reason its taken this long not this "learning curve" BS or whatever. doing your job for you again Wagoner

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still want DGB after a trade down...And I love B Quick....Not sure that Bailey isn't just a great slot wr.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I still want DGB after a trade down...And I love B Quick....Not sure that Bailey isn't just a great slot wr.
After a year off and no mandatory testing you just don't know what DGB has to offer anymore. Could be a hit, could have smoked it all away. You just never know.