Stedman Bailey cleared to play football by doctors... not team dr though

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Schrager described a medical procedure that left Bailey with a titanium plate in place of the damaged part of his skull that is harder than human bone. He also reported that Bailey is in football shape and running a 4.4-second 40-yard-dash.
I heard this^ and my 1st thought was, I hope the Rams give him a shot! I would like to see him make a come-back!!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The biggest problem Bailey is going to have is he was an average receiver when he was playing. A lot of potential there but largely unrealized.
If he was a two time pro bowler....but he wasn't. Have a hard time seeing a team take a risk on a guy that isent a top flight guy.
Hopefully he can prove everyone wrong.
Even if he ends up a depth guy, a 4th or 5th WR and a coverage guy on ST he can create a lucrative career as a speaker, writer etc after football.
Go Steadman!!

You do recall that he was a receiver under Fisher, right?

And he was a better weapon and receiver than anyone we had. He ran better routes and had better hands than Britt.

The ONLY reason he wasn't highlighted more is because Fisher has this thing about vets (the older the better) and he really favors "his guys" and Britt was definitely one of "his guys".

Bailey was the best talent we'd drafted at WR until we got Kupp.

I have every faith and confidence that with proper coaching, he'll be not only solid, but very difficult to defend.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest problem Bailey is going to have is he was an average receiver when he was playing. A lot of potential there but largely unrealized.
If he was a two time pro bowler....but he wasn't. Have a hard time seeing a team take a risk on a guy that isent a top flight guy.
Hopefully he can prove everyone wrong.
Even if he ends up a depth guy, a 4th or 5th WR and a coverage guy on ST he can create a lucrative career as a speaker, writer etc after football.
Go Steadman!!
Totally agree.
And he also was on suspension for PED when the tragedy struck.
His recovery is amazing but like you said, this isnt somebody with Josh Gordon all pro potential...

fearsomefour

Legend
You do recall that he was a receiver under Fisher, right?

And he was a better weapon and receiver than anyone we had. He ran better routes and had better hands than Britt.

The ONLY reason he wasn't highlighted more is because Fisher has this thing about vets (the older the better) and he really favors "his guys" and Britt was definitely one of "his guys".

Bailey was the best talent we'd drafted at WR until we got Kupp.

I have every faith and confidence that with proper coaching, he'll be not only solid, but very difficult to defend.
You're making my point for me.
Why sign a guy who put up average numbers regardless of reason when he carries extra risk. Being the best WR on those teams was like being the tallest dwarf.
He wasn't a big enough name or come with pro bowl credentials, the reason why doesn't matter.
I hope I am wrong.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Why sign a guy who put up average numbers regardless of reason when he carries extra risk. Being the best WR on those teams was like being the tallest dwarf.
He wasn't a big enough name or come with pro bowl credentials, the reason why doesn't matter.
I hope I am wrong.
With that logic we should have considered Goff a bust and released him, kept Britt and he would be the next Jerry Rice, etc, etc. As much as i love Bailey and would love to see him back on this team, realistically the only person i could see him replacing is Austin, and i doubt he takes his best friends job. Bailey was severely under utilized and if he has retained the talent he left with, he could do some damage in a real offense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hope I am wrong.

@I like Rams said it better than I.

I realize I'm still bitter about the end of the Fisher reign, but damn, when I saw in all crystal clarity how systemically bankrupt the offenses Fisher employed... and how poorly his players, especially on offense were coached... I've remained viscerally upset.

And this point remains... if we give Goff credit for improvement and Gurley credit and Saffold credit and Joyner credit..etc... than other players also should be given the same benefit of the doubt.

Heck, even just watching Bailey catch off the jugs machine, there are little things like how he's embracing the catch, hand positioning and strength, the quick adjustments and "soft hands", etc, really showed that the critical talents are still there and maybe even better.

My ONLY question is whether he had speed. And it makes no sense for him to lie about running a 4.4 because if he gets a tryout and runs a 4.6, he puts his credibility on doubt about his other capabilities and would only reinforce a team's unwillingness to even give him a chance.

fearsomefour

Legend
With that logic we should have considered Goff a bust and released him, kept Britt and he would be the next Jerry Rice, etc, etc. As much as i love Bailey and would love to see him back on this team, realistically the only person i could see him replacing is Austin, and i doubt he takes his best friends job. Bailey was severely under utilized and if he has retained the talent he left with, he could do some damage in a real offense.
Chances of the Rams....0.0%

fearsomefour

Legend
@I like Rams said it better than I.

I realize I'm still bitter about the end of the Fisher reign, but damn, when I saw in all crystal clarity how systemically bankrupt the offenses Fisher employed... and how poorly his players, especially on offense were coached... I've remained viscerally upset.

And this point remains... if we give Goff credit for improvement and Gurley credit and Saffold credit and Joyner credit..etc... than other players also should be given the same benefit of the doubt.

Heck, even just watching Bailey catch off the jugs machine, there are little things like how he's embracing the catch, hand positioning and strength, the quick adjustments and "soft hands", etc, really showed that the critical talents are still there and maybe even better.

My ONLY question is whether he had speed. And it makes no sense for him to lie about running a 4.4 because if he gets a tryout and runs a 4.6, he puts his credibility on doubt about his other capabilities and would only reinforce a team's unwillingness to even give him a chance.
38 games, 8 starts, 14.2 YPC average....5' 10"....nothing remarkable in any way.
14+ YPC is nice but not crazy.
I think you and I are talking about two different things. I am talking about what is and you are a little more about what should be.
I liked Bailey. Liked his game and he was improving and strattled with a bad O.
I do want to see him succeed in his comeback and think his determination is remarkable and worth paying attention to even if he never plays again.
But, I can't see a logical reason a GM signs him now. Maybe for a camp next year, see what he has. I hope so. But, to pretend he was something he wasn't is silly.
He does not have remarkable size. He has good speed. Solid in a lot of aspects but dominant in none. A GM isent going to care about who O was or who the QB was. Who knows? Maybe he has 10 games worth of film where he is running uncovered all game.
But, reality is, he had ok production and was not a regular starter on a bad O (this is not to say he shouldn't have been).
So, 8 career starts, 14 yards per catch, 2 career TDs, average size, a PED suspension and a major head trauma with unknown longterm affects/reaction to contact.
His work ethic certainly can't be questioned.
All that said, I don't see how a GM pulls the trigger. Like I said before, I would love to be wrong.

PatDaddy13

Rookie
Good on him getting healthy. Would love if the Rams took a chance on him. He showed some real flashes before getting shot.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't think you got what I was saying.
Nothing in your comment related to what I was saying at all.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I don't think you got what I was saying.
Nothing in your comment related to what I was saying at all.
You said that Bailey being the best wr in that regime was like being the "tallest midget". Well if being the tallest midget isn't good enough to sign, what would you say about Goff, who had one of the worst performances of all time in that regime? You can't sit here and say someone who did decent in a bad regime means nothing but someone who did absolutely terrible deserved a shot? Everyone on offense who was here during Fishers regimen has done a 180, so common sense would say that someone who was our best wr then would do even better and worth a shot. Now if your main argument is his injury, then i could understand that, but that has nothing to do with his performance.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
38 games, 8 starts, 14.2 YPC average....5' 10"....nothing remarkable in any way.
14+ YPC is nice but not crazy.
I think you and I are talking about two different things. I am talking about what is and you are a little more about what should be.
I liked Bailey. Liked his game and he was improving and strattled with a bad O.
I do want to see him succeed in his comeback and think his determination is remarkable and worth paying attention to even if he never plays again.
But, I can't see a logical reason a GM signs him now. Maybe for a camp next year, see what he has. I hope so. But, to pretend he was something he wasn't is silly.
He does not have remarkable size. He has good speed. Solid in a lot of aspects but dominant in none. A GM isent going to care about who O was or who the QB was. Who knows? Maybe he has 10 games worth of film where he is running uncovered all game.
But, reality is, he had ok production and was not a regular starter on a bad O (this is not to say he shouldn't have been).
So, 8 career starts, 14 yards per catch, 2 career TDs, average size, a PED suspension and a major head trauma with unknown longterm affects/reaction to contact.
His work ethic certainly can't be questioned.
All that said, I don't see how a GM pulls the trigger. Like I said before, I would love to be wrong.
Bailey doesnt have to be our Jerry Rice, he doesnt even need to be our number 1. At a good price we would be a steal if he kept what he left us with. I dont think we keep Austin or Thomas next season, so that gives us some openings. I'd like us to at least bring him in to try out next season. He can't be worse than Tavon and can be utilized more than we have Thomas imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You said that Bailey being the best wr in that regime was like being the "tallest midget". Well if being the tallest midget isn't good enough to sign, what would you say about Goff, who had one of the worst performances of all time in that regime? You can't sit here and say someone who did decent in a bad regime means nothing but someone who did absolutely terrible deserved a shot? Everyone on offense who was here during Fishers regimen has done a 180, so common sense would say that someone who was our best wr then would do even better and worth a shot. Now if your main argument is his injury, then i could understand that, but that has nothing to do with his performance.
Part of Fisher's miserable offense was his choices on receivers. Now the QB's have done well away from the Fish, but WR? Cant say any of them have amounted to anything.
In fact the only receiver who appears to have been "held back" by JF is Jared Cook, who is having a quiet good year :eek:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
First and foremost get rid of Austin than bring Bailey into camp next year, let's see what he can do.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bailey doesnt have to be our Jerry Rice, he doesnt even need to be our number 1. At a good price we would be a steal if he kept what he left us with. I dont think we keep Austin or Thomas next season, so that gives us some openings. I'd like us to at least bring him in to try out next season. He can't be worse than Tavon and can be utilized more than we have Thomas imo.
Maybe.
Bet minmum, feel good sort of story.
Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper....if both Austin and Thomas leaves he could come in as the 6.

fearsomefour

Legend
I was saying he wasn't remarkable....AND....key thing....AND had a suspension and a traumatic head injury. Those things really tilt the scales away from a signing.
If he was remarkable and didn't not have the other issues it makes it easy, or, if he posted the results he did and did not have the issues it makes it easy. But, that's not the case.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I was saying he wasn't remarkable....AND....key thing....AND had a suspension and a traumatic head injury. Those things really tilt the scales away from a signing.
If he was remarkable and didn't not have the other issues it makes it easy, or, if he posted the results he did and did not have the issues it makes it easy. But, that's not the case.
The suspension I dont think means anything. Fact of the matter is PEDS are rampant in pro sports, and the coaches know it. Head injury on the other hand, all depends on what the doctors say is current state of health is. I haven't heard a doc say anything about what his brain scans look like or if there is any remaining damage that can be aggrevated and made worse. Although if that were the case i dont think they would have cleared him.

fearsomefour

Legend
The suspension I dont think means anything. Fact of the matter is PEDS are rampant in pro sports, and the coaches know it. Head injury on the other hand, all depends on what the doctors say is current state of health is. I haven't heard a doc say anything about what his brain scans look like or if there is any remaining damage that can be aggrevated and made worse. Although if that were the case i dont think they would have cleared him.
There will be doubt until there is a track record re established.
A hard head to head hit, seizures etc. That is what I could picture.
So a guy is looking to pick a guy up for camp. One has no traumatic brain injury and no suspension one has both. Easy choice for a GM. Or maybe, they sign both as they go into camp with 12 WRs.
We shall see.