Stedman Bailey cleared to play football by doctors... not team dr though

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
I think there's a thread already but couldn't find it but mods please merge if so. Unbelievable though, hope he gets another shot and hope he truly is ok to play.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stedma...cleared-nfl-comeback-shot-head-062050215.html

Stedman Bailey says his doctors have cleared him for NFL comeback after he was shot in the head

02247a07bf21f16069f15b14e689fb14

Stedman Bailey is seeking an NFL comeback two years after being shot in the head. (AP)
Just before Thanksgiving in 2015, then-St. Louis Rams wide receiver Stedman Bailey was sitting in a car near his childhood home in Miami whenhe was shot three times, twice in the head.

The shots came from a nearby car that riddled the car Bailey and his cousin occupied with bullets. His cousin believes the shooting was a case of mistaken identity.

The shots fractured his skull. He didn’t suffer any damage to his brain tissue, but it was clear that survival and recovery were top priority, and he would never play football again.

Or so it seemed.

Two years later, Bailey, now 27, has been working out with Rams receiver Tavon Austin and Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Antonio Brown during their offseasons. And he wants to play football again.

He told West Virginia fan site DubVNation and ‘Good Morning Football’s’ Peter Schrager that his personal doctors have cleared him to pursue his dream of returning to an NFL field.

“Doctors say I can play,”Bailey, a former Mountaineer, told DubVNation. “But it’ll be up to teams to clear me, which I’ll be looking at this offseason.”

Schrager described a medical procedure that left Bailey with a titanium plate in place of the damaged part of his skull that is harder than human bone. He also reported that Bailey is in football shape and running a 4.4-second 40-yard-dash.

It’s a lot to overcome, and in this age of heightened awareness of head trauma, it still seems a long shot that NFL doctors would give Bailey the green light to return to football.

But Bailey is determined and is looking to be a free-agent pickup for next season.

“I’ll be looking for teams to bring me in for workouts so they can see me move personally,” Bailey told DubVNation. “From there I know I’ll be good.”

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I’d gladly take Stedman, assuming he can play and be medically cleared, and drop Tavon lol

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a great story, whether he plays in the NFL or not.

So glad he's recovered from that horrible incident.

Best of Luck, Bailey... I always liked him, right from the draft.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can imagine that before the league ever clears him to return... the legal team will have him sign a waiver of epic proportions.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I can imagine that before the league ever clears him to return... the legal team will have him sign a waiver of epic proportions.

Even then I doubt it happens. Doubt any team would want to risk the PR nightmare if god forbid something did happen to him

fearsomefour

Legend
The biggest problem Bailey is going to have is he was an average receiver when he was playing. A lot of potential there but largely unrealized.
If he was a two time pro bowler....but he wasn't. Have a hard time seeing a team take a risk on a guy that isent a top flight guy.
Hopefully he can prove everyone wrong.
Even if he ends up a depth guy, a 4th or 5th WR and a coverage guy on ST he can create a lucrative career as a speaker, writer etc after football.
Go Steadman!!

tempests

Hall of Fame
Didn't think he'd ever get clearance to play again.

Pretty amazing.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He wants to come play in LA, but I don't think there's a spot for him right now.

If he can play at the same level as before and is healthy, I might take him over Austin.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sorry, Tavon, but I'd take Stedman over you in a heartbeat.

Sign him, Rams!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper, Austin, Bailey.

Sounds like a receiver room that could be together for 10 years.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I really hope Stedman can make it back into the NFL. I think the likelihood is pretty small.

I hope some teams will bring him in for some workouts.

Where I see it ultimately landing is that the NFL, like said above, would be far too concerned about the chances of something happening and the resulting PR.

Stedman could also have that swing of PR for a real home run story. Shot, works his butt off to learn how to do many things again, then continues to work to get himself into NFL level physical ability, then makes it on with a team, then has true success with said team. . . !

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wants to come play in LA, but I don't think there's a spot for him right now.

If he can play at the same level as before and is healthy, I might take him over Austin.
It's a great story, but he needs to earn spot to actually make this team. It's not the same team as when he was injured and even if he is exactly the same player as he was before the injury, it would be hard for him to make this team. Show up to Camp and earn a spot bro...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The shots fractured his skull. He didn’t suffer any damage to his brain tissue

WAIT.......if there was no damage to brain tissue and the damage was contained to bone only then he would be fine.

I've NEVER heard thjis before has anyone else???

Sorry, Tavon, but I'd take Stedman over you in a heartbeat.

I love you two, but SB cannot effect the defense like TA can. But I'd want him on the roster in some capacity.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
He didn’t suffer any damage to his brain tissue,
Not a doctor, but I assume if someone is put into a medically induced coma to keep swelling in the brain down, there's some kind of damage there. Sure, bullet did not rip through brain, but the concussive effect of bullet slamming into skull sure seemed to cause some type of trauma there, imo.

As far as a comeback, on the one hand, y'know, back in college, Sted's last year at WVU, every 4.5 catches was for a TD. His college highlight vids (yeah, I know, they're just highlights) looked like he got behind a lot of coverages a whole lot of times. So yeah, I kind of wonder what if -- with that college production, what if Sted had had a competent OC with the Rams and a QB with a deep arm? Could Sted get some of that college production to translate to the League?

On the other hand, we got Mike Thomas and Josh Reynolds as depth receiver/deep threats, both with no medical history of bullet slamming into skull. Also, it seems that McVay might like the bigger receivers -- or at least bigger than Sted-sized receivers.

I was around when the Hank Gathers thing went down. Not pleasant. I would not like to see something similar with Sted. So, happy trails, Sted. Good luck and best wishes on your comeback. We'll put in a good word for you with your new team, if you find one.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WAIT.......if there was no damage to brain tissue and the damage was contained to bone only then he would be fine.

I may be completely wrong but it seems like I remember reading that they had to replace that part of his skull with a plastic plate. And that was the main concern with him taking shots to the head that might effect that? Or at least right away. Maybe it needed time to heal and solidify itself with the bone around it? Plus, there's just the unknown effect what the swelling and induced coma might have as far as making concussions more likely and more severe if he were to have one. But I'm no doctor so that is all assumptions. Overall, like people have said, it's a liability issue surrounded in a fog of uncertainty since this is a rare situation.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Thing is here's a guy who wants to play so bad, he'll play with a titanium plate in his head. Is there risk? Absolutely. So maybe he won't find an NFL team doctor who will give him clearance and a chance to play again. In the meantime, NFL teams will allow felons to play the game and pay them really well. SB just wants to play again and if he can make a few bucks in the process, all the better. Draw up the waiver, and see what he's got.