Stats are a funny thing.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

scifiman

I was just going over last season stats and comparing the different teams and where they ended up in offensive and defensive categories. Of course Seattle won the sb so lets look at them offensively. Passing was like 26th in the league in ypg. Rams were 29th only averaging 9 less ypg. Not much difference except Seattle allowed more sacks. Rushing Seattle was 4th while the rams were 19th. The difference is really 27 ypg. Seattle also had more rush attempts per game but the ypc was about the same.

Now you look at the defense and you can see why they won the SB. #1 in passing defense ypg and interceptions and #2 in td's allowed. Rams were 19th ypg and 20th interceptions and 8th in td's allowed. In rushing defense Seattle 8th, Rams 9th. The biggest difference is Seattle allowed only 4 rushing td's while the Rams allowed 18.

What does all this mean? I guess a dominant defense that creates turnovers has the best success in going to the playoffs and competing for a championship. At least it was last year. Denver got there though on a dominant offense. So go figure.

So what would be more important in this draft? Defense or offense? Heck I dont know. But gives everyone a chance to throw out their 2 cents.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well on one hand we need to score more points.
On the other hand, a couple of great players could make our defense incredibly tough for any team to face.

I'm leaning towards offense. That may change as soon as I'm done typing this.

SierraRam

Recreational User
With the talent we have on Defense (and G Williams), I think our D makes strides with or without draft help. But we've got 12 picks! We can do both - We'll shore up the secondary, maybe throw in a BPA pick (Donald) and look the F**K out!

On O, we'll get a top tackle, a good guard to compete with B. Jones, and quality depth all around. can't wait. Go Rams

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I like to think of statistics as symptoms of a trend instead of the trend itself. With the right understanding of data-mining anyone can make the numbers support both sides of any argument. The truth was last year our defense was a bend but not break....except we broke too many times.....and we couldn't get off the field enough to allow our offense to grind the clock......and I'm not sure we could do that against some teams anyway. Yes our 10 yd "press" defense didn't help things.......
But this year, we need our defense to dictate the game to the other team. We need our offense to play "keep away" and we need just enough "wow" plays to keep defenses honest. And then let the chips fall where they may.......

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It actually depends a lot on who the coaches are. We have to rely heavily on our defense because Schotty is a below average offensive coordinator and I trust Williams 50 times more. If Schotty had Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Jimmy Graham, Adrian Peterson, and Aaron Rodgers, he might be able to scratch out a 15th ranked offense. He structures his players around his coaching preferences instead of coaching to the strength of the players.

scifiman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It actually depends a lot on who the coaches are. We have to rely heavily on our defense because Schotty is a below average offensive coordinator and I trust Williams 50 times more. If Schotty had Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Jimmy Graham, Adrian Peterson, and Aaron Rodgers, he might be able to scratch out a 15th ranked offense. He structures his players around his coaching preferences instead of coaching to the strength of the players.
I have to agree with you on this. An innovator he is not.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Schottenheimer's Jets were 13th in the league a couple of times with Sanchez at QB. That has to stand for something.
And they were 9th in the league with Brett (22 TDs, 22 Ints) Favre...

And I totally disagree with the last part about not coaching to the strength of his players. He's the very definition of a pragmatist. When something isn't working, he doesn't stubbornly stick with the plan in the hopes it works ... ala Josh McDaniels.

scifiman

Schottenheimer's Jets were 13th in the league a couple of times with Sanchez at QB. That has to stand for something.
And they were 9th in the league with Brett (22 TDs, 22 Ints) Favre...

And I totally disagree with the last part about not coaching to the strength of his players. He's the very definition of a pragmatist. When something isn't working, he doesn't stubbornly stick with the plan in the hopes it works ... ala Josh McDaniels.
I dont think when something is working he sticks to it either. Have seen the rams open with an up tempo offense and it working only to see schotty abandon it and go back to the same old same old. And di you have to mention McDaniels? Amazing he still has a job. Terrible judge of talent as he will be forever known as the guy who drafted Teblow.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I dont think when something is working he sticks to it either. Have seen the rams open with an up tempo offense and it working only to see schotty abandon it and go back to the same old same old. And di you have to mention McDaniels? Amazing he still has a job. Terrible judge of talent as he will be forever known as the guy who drafted Teblow.
I'm no fan of McDaniels either, but if you're going to mention him drafting Tebow, you have to mention that he was able to get him in the position to lead a playoff win.

scifiman

I'm no fan of McDaniels either, but if you're going to mention him drafting Tebow, you have to mention that he was able to get him in the position to lead a playoff win.
OH no, you didn't just claim McDaniels got his team into the playoffs did you? The broncos defense did and they won in spite of Tebow. Look at his passer rating for that one playoff win. He got lucky. Nothing to do with McDaniels. I really dont want to get into that whole Teblow is great debate. He was not or he would have an nfl job. And he got cut as a 3rd stringer by McDaniels too in NE.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OH no, you didn't just claim McDaniels got his team into the playoffs did you? The broncos defense did and they won in spite of Tebow. Look at his passer rating for that one playoff win. He got lucky. Nothing to do with McDaniels. I really dont want to get into that whole Teblow is great debate. He was not or he would have an nfl job. And he got cut as a 3rd stringer by McDaniels too in NE.
lol. No, I didn't claim that. I claimed that he put Tebow in a position to get him a playoff win.
Which he did.

That's not to say I think Tebow is great either. But he did account for 18 TDs in 2011.