State of the Running Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Below is a snip from an article at The Athletic.

A lot of chat around here about running the ball more… and I agree with that… But, this article really highlights our run game has only been so-so.

The yards after contact… getting Michel more carries might help there?

Anyway, interesting data in that article…

It’s important to not conflate a popular social media sentiment — “the Rams need to run the ball more” — with situational reality: Can they, actually?

To be clear: Running the ball is important, yes. This is notan argument against running the ball. But in the past two weeks, when those cries were perhaps at their highest of the year to date, the Rams were facing a two-turnover deficit and hardly any clock to work with, by design from the other team. If simply a turnover deficit, the argument to run the ball more earlier on is especially valid. But the 49ers doubled the Rams’ time of possession throughout the game and, coupled with the deficit, getting the ball downfield quicker and in larger chunks-per-play, is a sound plan.

Even if they wanted to run the ball at a higher clip, can they? Or would that currently actually be an inefficiency? The numbers say the latter may be true.

The Rams are averaging 4.03 yards per carry behind Darrell Henderson and Sony Michel (No. 23 in the NFL) and they are also averaging only 2.29 yards after first-contact, according to TruMedia, which is No. 29 in the NFL. They’re doing this despite only facing eight or more box defenders on 25.1 percent of snaps, which is the second-lowest in the league, and their successful rush-play rate is just 39 percent. In fact, 21 percent of their rush plays have amassed zero or negative yards, which is 25th-worst in the league. So, they’re seeing “loaded” boxes against the run far less frequently than almost any other team in the NFL, and still rank among the worst in rush production. Part of this may be because Henderson has been dealing with a variety of injuries since training camp, and it’s hard to build a rush plan around a player who isn’t staying on the field consistently even series-over-series, at times.

Because of this, it doesn’t seem like the Rams are going to turn into a methodical, ground-and-pound ball-control team overnight. That’s just the reality people have to face.

Adjustments, game planning, myth-busting: What’s next for Rams out of the bye?
https://theathletic.com/2972548/202...ms-out-of-the-bye/?source=user_shared_article

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good post.

So, it does seem that we don't have the talent to run the ball well. Hopefully, McVay and the run game guys can figure something out, because we all know this offense can be deadly with a good run game, and the play-action integrated.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Run the ball and be able to stop the run. We haven't proven that we can do either that well. This game is a definite gut check.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm hoping the bye healed-up and recharged our OL.

Hendo's never going to be a yards-after-contact guy, but I bet he gets more yards before contact than most. He just needs to stay healthy, and I think we need to get Sony going more.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Free Buddy Howell!
95eef50d4cc449368f377a5011eb9b8e.jpg

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'd love to see more 12 personnel but our back up te's were not drafted because they're intimidating and physical blockers.

Gurley's and CJ Andersen's field day against the Cowgirls in the playoffs seems so very long ago.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I disagree with this article 100%, it is ignorant of the fact that the Titans and Niners predominantly lined up with less than seven in the box. Further there LBs were typically five yards off the line of scrimmage.

Who gives a shit about yards after contact!?!? If the defense is giving you five yards a carry, take it. Make them respect it. Further, this should be our game plan against Green Bay since we want to keep Aaron Fibbers off the field.

Instead, every team knows McVay cannot get away from and is in love with the pass. That is how we've lost two in a row.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

A lot of chat around here about running the ball more… and I agree with that… But, this article really highlights our run game has only been so-so.

It’s important to not conflate a popular social media sentiment — “the Rams need to run the ball more” — with situational reality: Can they, actually?

To be clear: Running the ball is important, yes. This is notan argument against running the ball. But in the past two weeks, when those cries were perhaps at their highest of the year to date, the Rams were facing a two-turnover deficit and hardly any clock to work with, by design from the other team. If simply a turnover deficit, the argument to run the ball more earlier on is especially valid. But the 49ers doubled the Rams’ time of possession throughout the game and, coupled with the deficit, getting the ball downfield quicker and in larger chunks-per-play, is a sound plan.

Even if they wanted to run the ball at a higher clip, can they? Or would that currently actually be an inefficiency? The numbers say the latter may be true.

The Rams are averaging 4.03 yards per carry behind Darrell Henderson and Sony Michel (No. 23 in the NFL) and they are also averaging only 2.29 yards after first-contact, according to TruMedia, which is No. 29 in the NFL. They’re doing this despite only facing eight or more box defenders on 25.1 percent of snaps, which is the second-lowest in the league, and their successful rush-play rate is just 39 percent. In fact, 21 percent of their rush plays have amassed zero or negative yards, which is 25th-worst in the league. So, they’re seeing “loaded” boxes against the run far less frequently than almost any other team in the NFL, and still rank among the worst in rush production. Part of this may be because Henderson has been dealing with a variety of injuries since training camp, and it’s hard to build a rush plan around a player who isn’t staying on the field consistently even series-over-series, at times.

Because of this, it doesn’t seem like the Rams are going to turn into a methodical, ground-and-pound ball-control team overnight. That’s just the reality people have to face.

https://theathletic.com/2972548/202...ms-out-of-the-bye/?source=user_shared_article

I won’t by into that & think when Cam Akers is back in The Playoffs there will be a bigger difference.

First I’ll say The Rams are ok in the backfield.HENDO is tough &’Sony is a nice complementary back.

Stay away from 1st &’longs and this Rams running will start to explode.

Last I’ll add This Rams Offensive Line is PISSED OFF! Say what you want & talk all the crap as anyone wants. The Rams have a good running game.

Johnny Mundt seems to be missed more than anyone wants to say,Plus Roberts Woods has been amazing as The Best Pound 4 Pound blocker in The NFL!! The team voted for him as there MVP a few years ago because of his all around game.

No excuses but will say the 2nd half
If the season we’ll all see a Bug difference. Let’s Go

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I disagree with this article 100%, it is ignorant of the fact that the Titans and Niners predominantly lined up with less than seven in the box. Further there LBs were typically five yards off the line of scrimmage.

Who gives a shit about yards after contact!?!? If the defense is giving you five yards a carry, take it. Make them respect it. Further, this should be our game plan against Green Bay since we want to keep Aaron Fibbers off the field.

Instead, every team knows McVay cannot get away from and is in love with the pass. That is how we've lost two in a row.

Won’t agree,but your points are Semi-valid. The Rams should get those 5 yard a carry because it is there. The holding penalty’s & playing from behind has been more of the problem IMO.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Sounds like the argument is even though those deficits are in the first quarter it’s still more important to continue attempting to throw 50+ times a game than fixing the defense.

Stop the opponent and get the F@$;ing ball back for the offense and there will be plenty of time to run a balanced offense. :explode1:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Unless I’m mistaken, Henderson actually did pretty well after first contact last year.
But, yeah… he gets dinged up a lot.

I hear/read a lot about the game plan having to change because they were down.. I still say that’s impatience.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This article smacks of a bunch of BS excuse making, and ends with a terrible strawman:

Who the hell has been calling for the Rams to become a methodical, ground-and-pound ball-control team? We just want some fucking balance - something that is sorely lacking and something that is making things far too easy for opposing defenses. Eight rushes in a game while throwing 40 or more passes just isn't going to cut it.

I realize we don't have Cam right now, but Hendo has put up decent numbers when given a shot. Hendo often times is one tackle away from making a house call. Michel is capable of being a physical runner. The problem isn't that these guys aren't capable, the problem is they aren't used enough. I understand the injury concern with Hendo, but you still have to try to get him involved and get him a good 15-18 carried a game. Between him and Michel, there's probably no reason you can't get 25-30 rushes per game. And Michel can take more pounding, perhaps he should get the lion's share of the carries and have Hendo spell him. But the talent to have a running game that is at least effective and can keep defenses on their toes (not to mention, set up the play action) is there.

The early deficits excuse doesn't fly either. When you are down 14 in the first quarter is means you have three quarters to catch up. Hell, McVay stuck with the run with less than a half to play at Buffalo when we had a 25-point deficit and we managed to come back and actually take the lead in that game.

You don't have to have Todd Gurley or even Cam Akers to have an effective running game. You can still run the ball when you have an early deficit. When the D is giving you the run, you take it. And you absolutely must run enough to keep the defense honest. If they know it's going to be pass every play, you've already done part of the work for them.

The coaches and the writers need to stop making loser-ass excuses for the lack of even attempting to establish the run.

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What this article also fails to mention is that almost every running back has to wear down defenses. Once a defense is tired is when you see the broken tackles or yards after contact. And to be quite honest the Rams only running the ball 10 times (9ers game) in a game isn't going to wear down a defense.
The Rams problems running the ball is 100% gameplannning and has nothing to do with talent or players. Mcvay is choosing this approach and mcVay is the only one who can change it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Akers loss was enormous. Without him in our backfield we are back to the same old shit with a bunch of guys who can't be counted on carry the load.

That said McVay needs to find a way to trust what he's got and keep calling run plays. I get wanting to live or die on the arm of the QB you traded for btw. But like I said before the season my worst fear was him throwing for insane yards this year and us being an imbalanced attack because those offenses always get shot down and die in the playoffs.

Two goals remain for us here in the regular season IMO (re: that side of the ball)...

1. Win enough games to get into the playoffs.
2. Balance the fucking offense.

But I will observe that McVay said if they don't fix what ails them now the playoffs don't matter. So I think he sees the problem and some of it is definitely the calls and being willing to keep things grounded just for balance sakes.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

It is a bit imprecise to use the quoted 4.03 as running "behind" Henderson and Michel. Henderson and Michel together are averaging 4.37 yards per carry which is imo respectable.

(Henderson 126 for 593, 4.7 yds per carry; Michel 76 for 291, 3.8 yards per carry; together, 202 for 884, 4.376 average.)

The quoted 4.03 overall includes 23 carries by Stafford for not much gain (38 yards). These reflect short scrambles from ineffective passing plays, not ineffective designed runs.

The overall stats also don't tell you about the situation. McVay often runs the ball late when leading to run down the clock and the yards gained are not so important.

On the other hand, depth at RB and protecting these guys is a factor (unless or until we get Akers back). Don't know how many carries Henderson can handle. And we have lost Mundt and now Woods as blockers. But I suspect that Michel in particular could do better with more carries in a game and in different situations.

Regardless of the stats, Rodrique agrees that Rams using some more runs and play action would be a good thing. Many of us agree, at least as needed to get the other team out of a light line, deep LBers and deep safeties.

Rams in any event need these or other different tactical approaches to re-introduce some element of unpredictability and force defenses to adjust. The reality imo is that the Rams can't just "dictate" all the time from the same formations against defenses with deep coverage designed to stop our passing game. We need an element of surprise.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and honestly stats don't show the rhythm of the game. It seems to me like every game where we need Hendy to carry the load he gets dinged up or pulled out for something or can't dress. And when he's in there he is not a guy who gets stronger as the game goes on and starts to take over. He's just not good enough. Hasn't been for years now and it's why you could feel the difference with Akers when he started hitting his stride.

This team needs a RB in the worst way IMO. But McVay not calling run plays feeds that too. All I can say is Michel should be good enough to do that for us, how long he'll be able to go before he gets dinged up I have no idea but it's time to ride his ass.