State of Rams per a Scout.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here are my thoughts about the scout's "SB" reference. FWIW.

He was referring to the Ram FO impression, not his own.

And I took it to mean that the FO thought that the team was capable of reaching the SB as currently constituted, right or wrong.

The passing O wheels are now falling off, so that thinking looks sorta ridiculous, huh?

But with a closer look, I can see where they might have earlier had that opinion. Here goes...

On D:

Run D is very good.
Pass D is very good.
Scoring D and red zone D have been very good.

On ST:

Kick coverage is very good.
Punt coverage is very good.
Kick return is above average, I think.
Punt return is above average, I think.

On O:

Running game has really stepped up with Gurley.
Passing game is regressing. Among league worst.

When you step back and take an objective look, we are strong to very strong in 7 of the 8 sub categories. Put another way, if our passing O had been even average we would be in the conversation for a deep playoff run with a 6-2 or even a 7-1 record at the midpoint. That's right. The Steeler and Viking games would have been wins with even a mediocre O, much less average or above.

Obviously, the Rams grossly overestimated the development of their passing O and those SB comments look kinda foolish.

However...

And I know this looks like a big IF, but IF they can start clicking with their passing O in these remaining 8 games, they will be in the playoff hunt where anything can happen.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think I'm going to call bullshit.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Well THAT is constructive.

Well maybe not constructive...but realistic.

Gotta have doubts about some "scout" (not stating OP is false, but his source seems odd) that claims to be high enough in the org to know info on contract talks for JF, I doubt that gets talked about at that level besides rumors like most workplaces. Somehow management feels this team is SB level and that JF is a great talent evaluator worthy of an extension at this point...while only going 4-4? Something doesn't sync. I get having a great belief in his ability to evaluate D talent in a draft, but outside of that....but if you believe this team is SB challenging in talent this year then at this point you have to question the coaching...

RamzFanz

Damnit
And I know this looks like a big IF, but IF they can start clicking with their passing O in these remaining 8 games, they will be in the playoff hunt where anything can happen.

I agree completely. If this is an aged assessment, I could see how they thought this O would work out. The Cook collapse and Quick vanishing act are huge. Also, they probably projected the line improving faster. If the Rams find their passing game, they can play anyone.

Somehow management feels this team is SB level and that JF is a great talent evaluator worthy of an extension at this point...while only going 4-4?

We're talking about an owner who has Jerry Jones as a best buddy pal (BBP). Not a slam on Fisher, but maybe Kroenke isn't the best judge of people.

VinnyRam

UDFA
While visiting family and friends, I met a scout who did some work for Rams recently (that's all he would let me say about him :)). We touched on various Rams topics. Here is the summary of what the scout indicated:

1. Saffold will be back next year with Rams
2. Fisher and Snead contracts will be extended soon. He indicated Fisher and Belichick are two of the best coach cum player evaluators in the league. And there is no another coach even close.
3. Team is incredibly happy with jamon brown and E.J Gaines talents. Havenstein mehhhh.
4. Britt lost a step since Tennessee days. Except Britt, all other WRs run great routes only a % of time.
5. According to this scout, management, coaches, front office are all in agreement Rams are a super bowl team this year. He said watch the next 8 games you will get it.
6. Per the scout, 9ers will stink for the next 3-4 years. Called cardinals mostly a phony. He respects Seahawks.

I didn't want to be seen as pushing the envelope by asking about next years draft and Rams priorities right away. He agreed to stay in touch. BTW, I did ask him if I could post this and he said no problem.

The receivers we have now have been brought in by Fisher or drafted by him so why cant they run routes--or brought in by Fisher. Same thing was said about Givens and others? Who is responsible to coach these guys up and teach them to run better routes and who drafted them??? I think Fisher!!!! If our receivers run great routes any percent of the time---we could get a first down here and there and not have Hekker worn out by halftime.
Secondly, I got a few $$$$ that is willing to put some money on this team not being Super Bowl contenders. Being 4-4---we have to go 6-2 rest of the way to even make the playoffs and maybe 7-1. We blew 2 games that we should have won and making the playoffs is a long shot much less Super Bowl. Is there a switch that they are going to turn on and make Cook catch the ball or Foles get the line and read the defense correctly? I doubt it. Just being realistic here not negative.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well maybe not constructive...but realistic.

Gotta have doubts about some "scout" (not stating OP is false, but his source seems odd) that claims to be high enough in the org to know info on contract talks for JF, I doubt that gets talked about at that level besides rumors like most workplaces. Somehow management feels this team is SB level and that JF is a great talent evaluator worthy of an extension at this point...while only going 4-4? Something doesn't sync. I get having a great belief in his ability to evaluate D talent in a draft, but outside of that....but if you believe this team is SB challenging in talent this year then at this point you have to question the coaching...
I have my doubts as well and have since the opening quote by the OP. But we've been discussing it and it has been a pretty open dialogue. So I'm not inclined to outright be dismissive of the subject or the OP without knowing his situation. I always feel that posers will be exposed here so if he is fibbing, then it will become evident. I have been wrong more than once when I assumed someone was bullshitting me. I tend instead to just discuss the points and leave that to be determined later.

I have a friend that used to do some scouting for the Lakers. He knew quite a bit about the Lakers and what they were saying and doing even though IIRR he only spent a few weeks each year actually working with them.

Still, I understand the skepticism. Anytime I hear the "unnamed source" thing, I tend to shake my head.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, I think Foles has proved he's got a lot of issues but his lack of accuracy and pocket presence must look that much worse if receivers are running the wrong route or a route poorly a good percentage of the time. Nothing like looking for a receiver and them not being where they're supposed to be. Pretty much a guaranteed sack for the defense there.

I think the info specifically pointed to running poor routes or "not great" routes but we've seen on more than one occasion the WR not reading the defense or getting the check at the line and causing a sack. See heavy set with Quick not prepared for the slant pass.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Well, I think Foles has proved he's got a lot of issues but his lack of accuracy and pocket presence must look that much worse if receivers are running the wrong route or a route poorly a good percentage of the time. Nothing like looking for a receiver and them not being where they're supposed to be. Pretty much a guaranteed sack for the defense there.

I think the info specifically pointed to running poor routes or "not great" routes but we've seen on more than one occasion the WR not reading the defense or getting the check at the line and causing a sack. See heavy set with Quick not prepared for the slant pass.

Lets be honest, the "Veteran" receiver we brought in (who in theory should be the locker room leader/teacher for the young guys) was Britt. Not exactly a font of knowledge or winning ways experience. I realize he was cheap, and not saying he hasn't been worth what little the rams are paying him, but when I think of receivers I want my team to emulate he doesn't pop to mind. I will say I don't ever want the rams to overpay for a veteran guy...but would have liked the rams to have gone out and gotten a bit more of a top end veteran to lead the young guys...

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
There will have to be significant improvement from everyone on the offennse from anybody not named Todd or Tavon for us to finish above .500 let alone make playoffs. Superbowl? Dont hate on me but that seems silly with the passing game as poor as it's been. And part of that improvement has to come from the coaching in the form of more creative gameplans and playcalling. Frankly if this regime is happy with this offense that's a bigger problem than tb e offense itself.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thanks for the info.

I think people are getting hung up with who is on the team versus who Fisher has evaluated as superior talent. Some of those superior talent guys have not made it to the Rams

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not sure who the scout is but it seems to me that the problem with the WRs and Foles is putting in more work. I watched Brian Quick pretty intently against the NIners. What I came away with was he's a very good WR and an excellent blocker.

The Niners played off of Quick and Britt the entire game. Most of the time they were running mid to deep pass routes. It seems to me that right now the book on the Rams is to get pressure on Foles. If the Rams continue to be predictable in the pass game this season could be a wash.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If this post is true it would go a long way in explaining why the Rams can't win. The FO is completely delusional!

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Superbowl contender huh?

Jordan_laughing.gif~c200

200_s.gif

35k9atk.gif~c200

giphy.gif

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
While visiting family and friends, I met a scout who did some work for Rams recently (that's all he would let me say about him :)). We touched on various Rams topics. Here is the summary of what the scout indicated:

2. Fisher and Snead contracts will be extended soon. He indicated Fisher and Belichick are two of the best coach cum player evaluators in the league. And there is no another coach even close.
3. Team is incredibly happy with jamon brown and E.J Gaines talents. Havenstein mehhhh.
4. Britt lost a step since Tennessee days. Except Britt, all other WRs run great routes only a % of time.
5. According to this scout, management, coaches, front office are all in agreement Rams are a super bowl team this year. He said watch the next 8 games you will get it.
6. Per the scout, 9ers will stink for the next 3-4 years. Called cardinals mostly a phony. He respects Seahawks.

I didn't want to be seen as pushing the envelope by asking about next years draft and Rams priorities right away. He agreed to stay in touch. BTW, I did ask him if I could post this and he said no problem.
Did u ask him what his drug of choice is?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

I have not read this thread all the way through, but I'd like to apologize for the beating you are probably taking after the Bears game.
Sorry man.

KDS73

Rookie
If this FO really believes that Foles can lead a team to the Super Bowl, then fire them all I say.