Stat of the day - the importance of sacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
We can debate until the cows come home as to why #SackCity has become #OneSackCity, but I was curious as to how big of an impact sacks actually play for our D.

Last season we faced 171 drives, allowing 39 TDs and 18 FGs.
We sacked the QB on 49 of those drives allowing 3 TDs and 7 FGs on those 49 drives.
We didn't sack the QB on 122 drives, allowing 36 TDs and 11 FGs on those drives.

In essence on drives where we got to the QB we gave up 0.86 points per drive (assuming 7 for a TD, 3 for a FG (ignoring 2 PAT)), when we didn't we gave up 2.34 points per drive.

This season our none sack drive D has been only slightly worse, 2.40 point per drive.

What that means is the difference between #SackCity and #OneSackCity keeping all other things the same is the difference between the 13th scoring D (where we were last year) and the 27th scoring D.

Sorry I was bored :coffee:.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Sacks are extremely important, especially to this defense which relies on them. They are usually drive killers and we live/die by them apparently.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hope this problem gets solved this week, and we start getting Sacks in bunches!!(y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sorry I was bored :coffee:

Great use of time...Hope you get bored more often....(y):love:;):):p:cool::D

It's easy to see that 3rd & longs, 2nd & longs = less overall points....Bigger concern, besides Long being injured is why? But actually, we get to see how weak other areas of the defense are...especially the linebackers & secondary....

I used to also think the lack of converting on 3rd downs by the OFFENSE hurt the defense too...Being on the field all day...2010 or 2011 was the year specifically. Could have been 2009, think we averaged 15-17 points a game...Figured the better offense, the defense would improve...

Overall, something smells funny on defense...My big question is why/what?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
And so IMO if you take the implication a step further , IF you don't give up sacks your offensive production should be as much higher .
SO ? draft linemen in the first round cuz evabody knows that's where the game is played

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
We can debate until the cows come home as to why #SackCity has become #OneSackCity, but I was curious as to how big of an impact sacks actually play for our D.

Last season we faced 171 drives, allowing 39 TDs and 18 FGs.
We sacked the QB on 49 of those drives allowing 3 TDs and 7 FGs on those 49 drives.
We didn't sack the QB on 122 drives, allowing 36 TDs and 11 FGs on those drives.

In essence on drives where we got to the QB we gave up 0.86 points per drive (assuming 7 for a TD, 3 for a FG (ignoring 2 PAT)), when we didn't we gave up 2.34 points per drive.

This season our none sack drive D has been only slightly worse, 2.40 point per drive.

What that means is the difference between #SackCity and #OneSackCity keeping all other things the same is the difference between the 13th scoring D (where we were last year) and the 27th scoring D.

Sorry I was bored :coffee:.
What this tells me is that if you want to "sway" an NFL game, one of the best ways to achieve this is to under or over-enforce offensive holding, as one can impact the score by 3X and the typical fan won't notice as they are too busy watching the skilled positions and not the trenches.