Starting Position Battles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Heading into camp there were 4 starting jobs up in the air, each with their favorites and underdogs

RB
LG
WR2
S

RB:

Pre camp: Richardson, Pead, Stacy, Gannaway, Cunningham, Reynolds

Post camp: Richardson, Pead, Stacy, Cunningham

Who I think will be the starter: Richardson won the battle outright throughout camp and preseason. Many picked Pead to overtake DRich, but Pead didn't do enough and Richardson has shined in yet another camp.

Who I WANT to be the starter: Richardson

LG:

Pre camp:
Williams, Watkins, Smith, Washington, Jones

Post camp: 1A Williams, 1B Smith, Washington, Jones

Who I think will be the starter: Williams hasn't run away with the job but I think he will do enough, barring any major setbacks before Week 1, to win the job. Smith hasn't looked terrible but he is a finesse guard with little power who struggles to anchor vs bigger lineman. Williams on the other hand, seems like he can win a handful of battles vs Brockers which is a good sign. I'd much rather have a guy with some girth back there than another finesse guy (Turner).

Who I WANT to be the starter: Williams

WR2:

Pre camp:
Pettis, Quick, Bailey

Post camp: Pettis, Quick, Bailey

Who I think will be the starter: Quick, even though I know, I know, we're going to be cycling the 3 guys in and out based on the situation. This doesn't mean there won't be a guy who gets more of the snaps. I'm not sure if Quick has earned it, or if it will be more of Pettis not doing enough. Still 2 preseason games to go, but WHERE HAS PETTIS BEEN? Camp hero, preseason ZERO. Pettis basically inherited WR2 by default this offseason, being the only WR with 2 years+ on the roster, knowing the offense, and having played w/Sam for 2 years. Doesn't have the speed or athleticism to consistently win as a WR2, but can be used situationally. I think we'll see Quick get the nod Week 1 because he provides for more explosive, game altering plays. Yes there's still room to improve, but I think Quick can make a bigger impact learning on the fly in year 2, than Pettis can where we basically know what we're getting. Bailey hasn't been given the WR2 reps in GAMES, I would like to see; not that I want him to get all or even most of the reps, I just want to see what he can do vs another team with our starting O. I'm very high on the kid and see him as a poor mans Steve Smith (CAR) clone. Underrated downfield speed, great hands (maybe best on team), good routes, and incredible athleticism when he's in the air. I also think Bailey has the best ALL AROUND GAME of the WR2s. If we saw Pettis/Quick/Bailey given 1/3 each of the WR2 reps in GAMES this preseason, we may have seen Bailey emerge as WR2 Week 1. However I don't think that will be the case, so I nab him just behind Pettis heading into the season, passing him soon thereafter and battling Quick by midseason for WR2.

Who I WANT to be the starter: Bailey

S:

Pre camp:
Stewart, McDonald, McLeod, Daniels, Davis, Hall

Post camp: McDonald, 1A Stewart, 1B McLeod, 2A Davis, 2B Daniels, Hall

Who I think will be the starter: Stewart can still start Week 1 but he's on thin ice. I've heard he's played solid in camp and has looked decent through 2 preseason games, BUT he has been dodging the injury bug like in years past and its almost a certainty that he won't play Saturday. This could be a defining moment for McLeod who has been very good in coverage and in run support this preseason and is legitimate competition for Stew at his position. If Stew falters at all the remainder of the preseason McLeod is the obvious next man in line. If he has a standout performance I could see Fish giving him the Week 1 nod. McDonald seems entrenched in the other safety spot. Cody Davis, as I predicted when I popped on his tape for the first time, has exceeded expectations. His ability to tackle and his football IQ (for a rookie) in addition to what he contributes on special teams makes him a keeper. But don't sleep on Matt the Hat who looked good in his first game back (albeit limited snaps), who also brings special teams ability, ranginess in coverage, and of course a strong HAT. Hall has been solid and looks to be a PS candidate, just too much depth at this position to see him making the final 53.

Who I WANT to be the starter: Stewart

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'll second that good stuff comment even though I don't agree with your assessment of the safety situation. :bg:

A55VA6

Legend
I'd much rather have McLeod start over Stewart, but I agree with everything else!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
A55VA6 said:
I'd much rather have McLeod start over Stewart, but I agree with everything else!

Yup. I'm in the McLeod Jr. camp too. He looks active and sharp out there. A true FS though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good read 24/7.

I'm not sure why you'd want Bailey over Quick. I mean... look at the weapons; Givens (speed), Austin (slot-quickness), Cook (slot-size),... the ideal compliment is what Quick brings; speed and size.

I'm not rooting against Bailey. I just see Quick as the better compliment.

lockdnram21

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Good read 24/7.

I'm not sure why you'd want Bailey over Quick. I mean... look at the weapons; Givens (speed), Austin (slot-quickness), Cook (slot-size),... the ideal compliment is what Quick brings; speed and size.

I second that. Imo bailey is better suited to play the slot. He want beat out Quick. Not a chance

CoachO

Hall of Fame
lockdnram21 said:
CGI_Ram said:
Good read 24/7.

I second that. Imo bailey is better suited to play the slot. He want beat out Quick. Not a chance

So far in camp, they have had Bailey backing up Givens at "Flanker", with Quick behind Pettis at "Wide Out".

Make a lot of sense to me.

The thing that stands out to me watching practice, is just how much they seem to target Quick, and by default, Bailey seems like the forgotten man. (they are on the field a lot together)

The past two weeks, outside of Cook, Quick has been targeted more than any receiver on the field. That includes Givens.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
lockdnram21 said:
CGI_Ram said:
Good read 24/7.

So far in camp, they have had Bailey backing up Givens at "Flanker", with Quick behind Pettis at "Wide Out".

The thing that stands out to me watching practice, is just how much they seem to target Quick, and by default, Bailey seems like the forgotten man. (they are on the field a lot together)

The past two weeks, outside of Cook, Quick has been targeted more than any receiver on the field. That includes Givens.

Good insight.

Coach; you think that's building up for the regular season and "the bag of tricks" we haven't seen? Or... do you think it's just reps to improve him as a player behind Pettis?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
lockdnram21 said:
CGI_Ram said:
Good read 24/7.

Good insight.

Coach; you think that's building up for the regular season and "the bag of tricks" we haven't seen? Or... do you think it's just reps to improve him as a player behind Pettis?

I think Pettis will "start", but Quick will get more snaps. In much the same way they put Gibson in the role as starter, I think there's a certain comfort level in giving the "vet" the opportunity.

Unlike Gibson, who always played just well enough to KEEP the job, Quick is just too talented when compared to the overall game that Pettis has.

They will both have their roles. But Quick is UNCOVERABLE running the deep dig route. No one has stopped him yet when he makes that break to the middle, and he is a BIG TARGET. Only downfall, is he is going to drop a few passes. But the upside is just too great with him.

IMO, Pettis will continue to be a RedZone weapon, and a clutch "go to" guy on 3rd down. He can be the "Ricky Proehl" of this offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
I think Pettis will "start", but Quick will get more snaps. In much the same way they put Gibson in the role as starter, I think there's a certain comfort level in giving the "vet" the opportunity.

Unlike Gibson, who always played just well enough to KEEP the job, Quick is just too talented when compared to the overall game that Pettis has.

They will both have their roles. But Quick is UNCOVERABLE running the deep dig route. No one has stopped him yet when he makes that break to the middle, and he is a BIG TARGET. Only downfall, is he is going to drop a few passes. But the upside is just too great with him.

IMO, Pettis will continue to be a RedZone weapon, and a clutch "go to" guy on 3rd down. He can be the "Ricky Proehl" of this offense.

I like hearing this.

While you've seen more first hand than most of us; Quick's skill set supports your observations.

Pettis will do an awesome job in the RedZone. Just like last year. So, not a knock on him... he's at his best in situational play.

jjab360

Legend
I agree on pretty much everything, word for word. I also think that while Bailey would probably be the best bet at WR2, the coaching staff is going to give the majority of opportunities to Quick first due to the fact that they have more invested in him and he has superior physical abilities. That being said once Bailey finally gets his time to shine I think he's going to run away with the opportunity. His toughness, soft hands, and underrated speed are attributes that will show up moreso on gameday than in practice where he seems to be getting overlooked right now.

jjab360

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Good read 24/7.

To me, it's more about putting the best players on the field rather than who complements each other the best. Do you think the Rams ever got frustrated because Bruce and Holt were just too similar in playing style?

IMO, Bailey is the better player, but I guess we'll see by midseason.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
lockdnram21 said:
CGI_Ram said:
Good read 24/7.

Good insight.

Can't argue with any of this.

And, very good post, 24/7, I agree with most of your assessments, and I like how you laid it all out.