Starting Cutler over McCown a Mistake?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...ay-cutler-benching-nfl-hottest-qb-josh-mccown

chi_a_cutler-mccown_mb_576x324.jpg

In terms of name recognition, the decision shouldn't be a hard one. Jay Cutler is the starter, Josh McCown has been the career backup. Even during the course of McCown's current stretch as the Chicago Bears' starter, coach Marc Trestman has maintained that Cutler is the preferred starter when he returned to health. In that light, Trestman's decision to go back to Cutler makes total sense.

But that position discounts the recent performance of McCown under center. Career backup or not, McCown has performed at an extremely high level since relieving the injured Cutler. And that's what makes Trestman's decision surprising. In sitting McCown, the Bears aren't benching a run-of-the-mill backup, they're benching the hottest QB in the National Football League. And in the context of what best aids Chicago's postseason chances, the Bears are making a mistake.

Let's start with the upside argument. Cutler's supporters often have pointed to his impressive potential, his big arm and his ability to be special if he ever could pull it all together. But at age 30, Cutler still hasn't materialized as a top-end NFL QB. In fact, Cutler has never been as good as McCown has been in this recent stretch.

It's not just that McCown is the NFC Offensive Player of the Week after shredding Dallas with five total touchdowns. He's been very good in all seven appearances this season. McCown has a 109.8 passer rating, which would officially rank as one of the highest in NFL history with four more attempts (224 needed to qualify). The best Cutler has done in eight seasons was an 88.5 rating on 137 attempts as a rookie in 2006. (He's at 88.4 this season.) McCown has had at least a 100.0 rating in his past three games, which is something Cutler has achieved once in his career (2009).

Total QBR factors in all facets of quarterback play, and McCown leads the league with an 85.7 this season (Cutler: 63.2). Yes, he's even ahead of Peyton Manning (83.5) entering Week 15. McCown's QBR would be the fourth-highest season by any quarterback since 2006. At Football Outsiders, McCown ranks sixth in DVOA passing efficiency this season, compared to 15th for Cutler, who ranked 21st or worse in his previous four seasons with Chicago.

Beyond efficiency, McCown's provided volume as well. He's passed for at least 348 yards and multiple touchdowns in his past three starts. Cutler has six games like that in his whole career and none was in back-to-back games. And McCown has more than just pretty individual stats. He's producing points to help the Bears rank second in the league in points per game (28.3). McCown has started 60 offensive drives this season and the Bears are averaging 2.65 points per drive with him. That would rank second in the league behind only Denver (2.91). On Cutler's 84 drives, the Bears have averaged 2.00 points per drive, which would rank 12th.

McCown's not putting up hollow stats; he's producing meaningful numbers. The Bears have won three of his five starts and he led a fourth-quarter comeback and game-winning drive against Baltimore. Off the bench, he was able to lead a go-ahead touchdown drive in Washington before the defense surrendered the late lead and against Detroit, he calmly directed a 74-yard touchdown drive in the final two minutes, but the two-point conversion run failed in a 21-19 loss.

To be fair, Cutler has played two of the stingier defenses (Cincinnati and New Orleans) this season, while McCown's toughest foe was Baltimore (No. 8 in DVOA) on a poor field following a significant weather delay. That said, Cutler's more daunting opponent has been himself.

One of the flaws in Cutler's game has always been the risky throws that get intercepted. Both quarterbacks have 13 touchdown passes, but Cutler has thrown eight interceptions compared to one for McCown, who leads the league with a 0.45 interception percentage. Cutler's never had a stretch in his career where he's done better than eight touchdowns with one interception. At times, he just can't help himself from scratching the turnover itch. Conversely, the only two turnovers by McCown this season came in St. Louis with the Bears down 14 and 21 points in the final minutes -- essentially desperation-time plays.

The Bears can get big numbers and clutch moments from Cutler, but after eight seasons he's never shown the ability to deliver consistently, perform efficiently and progress into a better quarterback. So much of today's Cutler is that same 23-year-old kid with the incredible arm who could make the highlight-worthy throw -- but kill his team with a bone-headed decision on the next play.

McCown may not be the long-term solution at quarterback for the Bears, and his career numbers suggest he may simply be riding a streak. But his recent play makes him the hottest quarterback in the NFL, and with the season coming down to crunch time, wouldn't you prefer to go with the hot hand rather than a historically erratic QB coming back from injury?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Mistake. I'm not saying Cutler should lose his starting gig but right now, ride that wave. If McCown comes out next game and is laying an egg, you can pull him and put in Cutler but go with the hot hand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's not like da Bears have been undefeated since Josh has taken over. Their defense needs to become more consistent for any QB to make a difference.

moklerman

Warner-phile
It makes you wonder what the coach/Gm are trying to do. By starting Cutler over McCown they are sending a message. That you don't lose your job to an injury. Which is respectable to the veterans who've put in their time. But is that really more valuable to the locker room than the message no matter how good you play and no matter what's best for the team, the guy with the big contract plays when he's healthy?

PhxRam

It makes you wonder what the coach/Gm are trying to do. By starting Cutler over McCown they are sending a message. That you don't lose your job to an injury. Which is respectable to the veterans who've put in their time. But is that really more valuable to the locker room than the message no matter how good you play and no matter what's best for the team, the guy with the big contract plays when he's healthy?

They could very well be following protocol and give Cutler the hook early if he underperforms.

If Cutler is given the hook and McCown comes in and wins the game, I would think it is his job to lose.

moklerman

Warner-phile
They could very well be following protocol and give Cutler the hook early if he underperforms.

If Cutler is given the hook and McCown comes in and wins the game, I would think it is his job to lose.
I see what you're saying but I don't agree. That'd be like Green getting his job back after Warner won the MVP. Sometimes the next guy up just does more with his chance and those are the breaks. It isn't like Cutler hasn't had any chances to produce for this team and this group of players. It's unfortunate that he got hurt and he got hurt playing for these guys but I find it pretty foolish to bench the guy who just won NFC player of the week on national tv.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Mistake. McCown earned his spot and benching him hurts his confidence. If Cutler gets yanked then that creates termoil. Whatever... I get it though. Gotta play your big money guy unless your the Redskins.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
They're putting Cutler back in b/c they don't believe McCown's numbers are due to McCown. Rather, they believe its due to the guys around McCown + the head coach. Plus Cutler can make throws that McCown can't. Plus they don't want to piss off Cutler as they want to resign him. It's a gamble to start Cutler because he's going to be rusty. BUT what if they start McCown and lose the next game??? Then you've pissed off everyone, including the vets on the team.

They have to start Cutler. If they don't they'd have to cut in/let him go.

Look at McCown's career numbers; prior to this year his passer rating is in the 70's and his completion percentage is below 60%, more INTs than TD's... He's the perfect backup QB. But he's a backup QB.

moklerman

Warner-phile
They're putting Cutler back in b/c they don't believe McCown's numbers are due to McCown. Rather, they believe its due to the guys around McCown + the head coach. Plus Cutler can make throws that McCown can't. Plus they don't want to piss off Cutler as they want to resign him. It's a gamble to start Cutler because he's going to be rusty. BUT what if they start McCown and lose the next game??? Then you've pissed off everyone, including the vets on the team.

They have to start Cutler. If they don't they'd have to cut in/let him go.

Look at McCown's career numbers; prior to this year his passer rating is in the 70's and his completion percentage is below 60%, more INTs than TD's... He's the perfect backup QB. But he's a backup QB.
Not sure how you can come to those conclusions. With that line of thinking, Rich Gannon never wins the MVP. Sometimes a guy can take time to develop and/or find the right offense for his skillset. Maybe McCown comes back down to Earth but maybe he's found the perfect combination of experience, scheme and coaching to reach his full potential. The Bears are acting like they owe Cutler something and now starting a guy who isn't playing as well as his replacement.

Big risk and IMO, a mistake. McCown got a chance to play and took advantage. Cutler should have to now wait for the same opportunity.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Not sure how you can come to those conclusions. With that line of thinking, Rich Gannon never wins the MVP. Sometimes a guy can take time to develop and/or find the right offense for his skillset. Maybe McCown comes back down to Earth but maybe he's found the perfect combination of experience, scheme and coaching to reach his full potential. The Bears are acting like they owe Cutler something and now starting a guy who isn't playing as well as his replacement.

Big risk and IMO, a mistake. McCown got a chance to play and took advantage. Cutler should have to now wait for the same opportunity.

I was just trying to explain their reasoning. Personally, I don't like Cutler and never have.

I really think, they think, that McCown's success is NOT due to McCown.

Don't worry, this whole thing is going to burn down when Cutler plays like only Cutler can.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I was just trying to explain their reasoning. Personally, I don't like Cutler and never have.

I really think, they think, that McCown's success is NOT due to McCown.

Don't worry, this whole thing is going to burn down when Cutler plays like only Cutler can.
I suppose that could be their motivation but it's still hard to buy it. I mean, when Jim Druckenmiller put up good numbers in SF that's one thing but when McCown comes in and outplays Cutler under similar circumstances, not sure how they could rationalize that it's the system and not the player. I agree that McCown probably isn't going to get much of a medium/long term shot at keeping the job but if he's playing at this level and leads them to the playoffs or maybe even a win, then he deserves a shot to prove he's turned a corner or that he just got on a hot streak.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I suppose that could be their motivation but it's still hard to buy it. I mean, when Jim Druckenmiller put up good numbers in SF that's one thing but when McCown comes in and outplays Cutler under similar circumstances, not sure how they could rationalize that it's the system and not the player. I agree that McCown probably isn't going to get much of a medium/long term shot at keeping the job but if he's playing at this level and leads them to the playoffs or maybe even a win, then he deserves a shot to prove he's turned a corner or that he just got on a hot streak.

Jim Druckenmiller! ROFL! Gotta love them 9'ers. I'm thinking the Kapernschnick thing works out the same way.