Star Quality Does Not a Prolific Receiving Corps Make

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
D'Marco Farr
http://www.101espn.com/category/dfarr-b ... l-Attacks/

Let’s do a little myth busting, shall we!

While engaged in a semi-heated battle over whom the Rams should draft with the sixth overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, I injected a question about just how big of an impact a wide receiver like Justin Blackmon might actually have on the offense. Now, as a disclaimer, I believe it’s near impossible to predict what a player will or won’t do once he’s drafted. You can’t make a dog want to hunt; he’s either born with it or not, and sometimes the best hunting dogs don’t have to be taught a darn thing.

If predicting the success of a player coming out of the draft was an exact science, do you think New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz would have made it out of the first or second round? Instead, he went undrafted and then “went off” on the rest of the league. How many experts missed on Marques Colston? Hindsight tells me he would have come off the board well before the sixth round knowing what we know now. And speaking of the Saints, a little birdie told me to look at the NFL’s top passing offenses and see what they have done in the draft selecting wide receivers. So I looked at the top three from last season. This is what I found so far.

The New Orleans Saints finished the 2011 regular season as the top-ranked passing offense in the NFL, going for about 334 yards per game. They have been ranked in the top five in passing offense every year since 2006.

New Orelans has drafted just four wide receivers since 2006 and none since 2008:

2008 Adrian Arrington Michigan Seventh round, No. 237 overall
[hil]Career: Nine receptions, 110 yds, no touchdowns. Played in four games in 2011, catching two passes for 31 yards[/hil].

2007 Robert Meachem Tennessee First round, No. 27 overall
[hil]Career: 141 catches, 2,269 yards, 23 touchdowns. Last year, he recorded 40 receptions for 620 yards and six scores.[/hil]

2006 Mike Hass Oregon State Sixth round, No. 171 overall
[hil]He recorded three receptions for 28 yards in his first preseason game against the Tennessee Titans. He was released by the Saints on Sept. 3, 2006.[/hil]

2006 Marques Colston Hofstra Sixth round
[hil]Colston set the NFL record for most receptions in a player's first two seasons with 168. Just over a month ago, he signed a five-year, $40 million contract extension with the Saints.[/hil]

The New England Patriots were the second-ranked passing offense in 2011 at just over 317 per game.

The Pats didn’t even draft a wide receiver in 2011. In fact, of the five receivers that Bill Belichick has drafted since 2006, only one, Julian Edleman has had success as a true wideout. Matthew Slater’s impact has mostly been on special teams.

In the last five seasons, the Patriots have ranked in the top three as far as passing yards three times (2007, '09, and '11) and no lower than 12th.

2010 Taylor Price Ohio Univ. Third round, No. 90 overall
[hil]Career: Three receptions for 41 yards. Pats released him in 2011.[/hil]

2009 Brandon Taint UNC Third round, No. 83 overall
[hil]Career: 24 catches, 432 yards, three touchdowns. Released in 2011.[/hil]

2009 Julian Edleman Kent State Seventh round, No. 232 overall
[hil]Career: 48 receptions, 479 yards, one touchdown.[/hil]

2008 Matt Slater UCLA Fifth round

2006 Chad Jackson Florida Second round
[hil]Career: 13 catches, 152 yards, three touchdowns. Jackson was cut in 2008.[/hil]

Last but not least, we have the Green Bay Packers, who finished third in passing offense, throwing for over 307 yards per game. The Packers have had far better luck evaluating and selecting wide receiver talent since 2006. Of the six WRs drafted since 2006, all but two have made huge contributions to a wide open passing attack. The Packers haven’t finished a season ranked lower than eighth in passing since the 06 season.

2011 Randall Cobb Kentucky Second round
[hil]As a rookie, he made 25 catches for 375 yards and a touchdown.[/hil]

2008 Jordy Nelson Kansas State Second round
[hil]Career: 168 receptions, 2,531 yards, 21 TDs.[/hil]

2007 James Jones San Jose State Third round
[hil]Career: 187 catches, 2,704 yards, 20 TDs.[/hil]

2007 David Clowney Va. Tech Fifth round
[hil]Cut in 2007. Never played a down.[/hil]

2006 Greg Jennings West Michigan Second round
[hil]Career: 384 receptions, 6,171 yards, 49 TDs.[/hil]

2006 Cory Rodgers TCU Fourth round
[hil]Cut in 2006.[/hil]

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
In those three cases, it's true that star quality did not make those wr corps so prolific- the presence of an elite qb did. While I love Sam and believe he will be elite one day, he is still developing. If he was already Brees, Brady or Rodgers then there's an argument for getting your receivers late... But we just aren't there yet. It's true that late round wrs can develop into great players, and wrs drafted early can bust, but when you're rebuilding you have to play the odds. Fuck more project receivers, let's go get a star who can grow with Sam and help to make him better. I don't know whether that's Blackmon or not but the time to get a stud is now.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The other thing he failed to mention was that on his team...you know the greatest show on turf...he had Isaac Bruce-2nd round pick (would be a first round pick today based on number of teams selecting at where he was picked), Torry Hold-1st round pick (#6 overall, sound familiar), Az Hakim-4th round (would be 3rd round pick today). Plus Marshall Faulk (1st round pick) coming out of the backfield.

If Blackmon will be a good receiver, take him. I really don't think it matters what round we find a good receiver we just need one or two.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Im not sure I understand Farr's point. We should think twice before drafting Blackmon because NOLA, NE, and GB only draft one WR in the first round since 2006?

NE was exposed as having a poor group of WRs. They would have had a dominant offense if they had an outside threat. Maybe they should have used a first round pick on a WR

GB and NOLA have groups of B+ WRs. They only prove when you have enough receiving threats you can overcome not having a single dominant threat.

I would counter D'Marco's point by looking at the impact Andre Johnson, Fitz, Megatron, Nicks, Green, and Holmes have had on the offenses they were brought into. Anyone that would suggest they didnt significantly improve the overall offense would lose all credibility.

BTW all of those teams also have FREAK TEs too. While they may not have been first round picks they were close to the top of their TE class.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
People can "question" whether or not Blackmon would have an impact on the offense all they want (per Farr's article). I don't think that's the question we should be asking. The question should be, "what impact is the Rams receiving corps having on anything as it is right now?"

Who's our outside threat?

Quickly.

Ennnnnnnt! Time's up.

Who rolls coverages on the Rams? Anyone? If the Rams don't think Blackmon's the best receiver in this draft, then I sure as hell hope they have their sights set on getting the guy they think IS the best receiver in this draft. For a team that consistently ranks in the bottom of the league in receiving, too many head coaches and GMs here seem to think that's not an issue. "You can get a receiver anywhere."

Yeah? Well. Go get one then. Maybe the third year's the charm.

Speeps

Starter
I have no idea what Farr is talking about in that article. Just because those three teams did it (all has prolific QB's) doesn't mean everyone can do that.

Rams need WR's point blank. We don't need a role player. We don't need a slot guy. We need a stud.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This sorta thing happens every year w/ any posistion a team needs. I don't get that logic. Why is it every year a team needs a QB, they bring up Brady as the 6th round pick over the more known, researched player? But then they just totalliy ignore the Mannings, Rivers, Roethlisberger, McNabb (pre-Washington), etc.

I just don't get why there has to be a detractor at any posistion of need. "Oh you can't take him b/c this team didn't..." If there's problems w/ character (like Crabtree), then yeah I'd pass on him. But if everything checks out, why not take the consensus best QB, or in this year's Ram case, best WR? What's so wrong w/ that?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The only way I wouldn't take Blackmon is if Kalil falls (which would likely make Blackmon gone anyway).

But to the point of lack-luster receiver names, I think the better list would be teams without a 1st or 2nd round receiver that try and make it work out. Off the top of my head... Browns, Jags, Rams, Chargers, Bills? There might be a second rounder in there (Kendricks as a TE) but even the mighty Philip Rivers struggled at times last year. You've got to have a really good ground game to compete without elite pass catchers. Like LaDanian Tomlinson, Steven Jackson and Maurice Jones-Drew good.

steferfootball

Starter
Warner4Prez said:
The only way I wouldn't take Blackmon is if Kalil falls (which would likely make Blackmon gone anyway).

But to the point of lack-luster receiver names, I think the better list would be teams without a 1st or 2nd round receiver that try and make it work out. Off the top of my head... Browns, Jags, Rams, Chargers, Bills? There might be a second rounder in there (Kendricks as a TE) but even the mighty Philip Rivers struggled at times last year. You've got to have a really good ground game to compete without elite pass catchers. Like LaDanian Tomlinson, Steven Jackson and Maurice Jones-Drew good.
Steven Jackson and MJD may not be the best examples of that. :p