Stafford Rookie Game on the NFL Network

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Hit record-button last night. A 2009 game between the 1-8 Lions and the 1-8 Browns. Two Power-House Teams! It was also Matthew Stafford's 1st fourth quarter comeback, and very entertaining. Shown in 90 minutes, it was an easy watch. Scheduled to be re-aired on Sunday Night (10:30 PM ET) should anyone be interested.

Stafford was mic'd for the game, making it even more enjoyable.

One thing that struck me was how similar the rookie-Stafford looked to the 13-year-vet / Super Bowl Champ.

Stafford had a great game and showed amazing toughness and leadership (the final moments are spectacular). Sound familiar? Stafford was also too-aggressive, throwing two interceptions into deep-coverage. Sound Familiar?

Couple of negatives though. When pressured in his own end-zone, rather than quickly get rid of the ball (as his OC Scott Linehan told Stafford he should have done), he held onto the ball and carelessly flipped it at the last moment. Sound Familiar? This resulted in an intentional-grounding-penalty and a safety. Still, it reminded me of some very poor decisions against the Titans and Ravens this past season.

Finally, there was a fourth-down and one-foot QB-sneak that Stafford converted by an inch, with the help of a generous official's spot. All season and in the Playoffs, I thought the Rams' coaches would explain to Stafford that he needed to get lower on his QB-sneaks. He was simply too high. Guess what!?! Stafford was far too high as a rookie. He's never figured it out!

Anyway, it's a fun watch for Rams' fans that are enjoying the Rams' off-season but missing game action.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Thanks. Brady Quinn vs Matt Stafford. Was gonna wait but put on GamePass (got tired of watching the Masters practice green segment when guys are practicing 3 footers) and clicked "condensed" but apparently they don't have it for 2009, so I'm watching the complete version. "He can really gun the ball!". Other amusing things heard...."Brady Quinn and Matt Stafford have the same number of NFL starts. And Quinn has been in the league 3 years." and "wow, touchdown Quinn to Massaquoi. The Browns had just 5 passing TDs their last 15 games!" Mike Furrey was in that game.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Thanks. Brady Quinn vs Matt Stafford. Was gonna wait but put on GamePass (got tired of watching the Masters practice green segment when guys are practicing 3 footers) and clicked "condensed" but apparently they don't have it for 2009, so I'm watching the complete version. "He can really gun the ball!". Other amusing things heard...."Brady Quinn and Matt Stafford have the same number of NFL starts. And Quinn has been in the league 3 years." and "wow, touchdown Quinn to Massaquoi. The Browns had just 5 passing TDs their last 15 games!" Mike Furrey was in that game.
Mike Furrey, the WR converted to S. Forgot all about him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In addition to Furrey, former Ram John St. Clair was the Browns' starting RT.

Commentators also mentioned the Browns' OC ... current Giants' HC Brian Daboll.

Other than Stafford, I believe the only current player from that game is Niners' center Alex Mack.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
How shitty were Stafford's Lions in 2009?

They were down, at home, 24-3 IN THE FIRST QUARTER to the Brady Quinn led Browns (on 3 Quinn TD passes) who had been averaging less than 9 points per game in the previous 9 games and had only scored 9 points in the first quarter all season. 3 points in week 1, 6 points in week 2, zero points from week 3 to 9. Wow.

We're lucky Stafford was alive to join the Rams in 2021!!!!

But the sad part of it all was both teams had a better record than the Rams that year. In fact EVERY Team in the NFL had a better record than the Rams that year!!!!! As a consulation, we got Sam Bradford the next draft! My god, isn't 2021 A GREAT TIME TO BE A RAM FAN???????

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I watched the Raiders vs Bengals wildcard game last night and as the game unfolded I sat there smugly thinking about how things were going to end. Carr had himself a heck of a game and it was hard to believe the Raiders were in it late given how poorly their defense played outside of the redzone. Burrow of course was a badass but one thing that struck me in that game was how many orders better the pass game weapons were for Cincy. I mean damn.

Weapons really matter man. Felt bad for Carr, early in the game he had a big third down throw dropped by DJax plus shitty ass field position all through the first half and he still had his team in position up until that final drive where he came up short. Not to mention a pass down where they had the TE blocking Hendrickson on a five step that led to a QB fumble.

So many things need to align for a QB to do his thing it's crazy. Right now Stafford must be on top of the world what with winning it all then getting gifted a player of Robinson's caliber. But I'll also observe that after watching Stafford do his thing how happy I am with a QB who controls safeties with his eyes and anticipates defensive pre-snap games.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How shitty were Stafford's Lions in 2009? They were down, at home, 24-3 IN THE FIRST QUARTER to the Brady Quinn led Browns (on 3 Quinn TD passes) who had been averaging less than 9 points per game in the previous 9 games and had only scored 9 points in the first quarter all season. 3 points in week 1, 6 points in week 2, zero points from week 3 to 9. Wow.

We're lucky Stafford was alive to join the Rams in 2021!!!!
That was he last game Detroit won that year, finishing 2-14.

Meanwhile, the 1-9 Browns lost their next two games before finishing with four straight wins.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So many things need to align for a QB to do his thing it's crazy. Right now Stafford must be on top of the world what with winning it all then getting gifted a player of Robinson's caliber. But I'll also observe that after watching Stafford do his thing how happy I am with a QB who controls safeties with his eyes and anticipates defensive pre-snap games.
Stafford had 17 4th quarter comebacks his first 7 years and the Lions were only 47-65. More than 1/3 of their wins were the result. He had 8 in 2016, when they finished 9-7!! That whole season was on Stafford. The next 4 years he only had 6 of them and they went 23-32-1.

On top of the world???? That guy has got to feel like he was pardoned from an undeserved execution. He only needed to bring the Rams back 3 times to win 12 games!! This is going to be fun to watch the next few years +. I think, as fans, we try not to get over our skis but it's pretty hard not to with the QB we have under center and the head coach designing for him.