Stadium Task Force Focused on Keeping Rams and Adding MLS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Force-Focused-on-Keeping-Rams-Adding-MLS.aspx

Stadium Task Force Focused on Keeping Rams and Adding MLS

Shane Gray

Earlier this week, the St. Louis NFL Task Force released its latest statement regarding the NFL's future in St. Louis and the prospects of bringing MLS soccer to the Gateway City.

In the Task Force's update, stadium committee co-head Dave Peacock touched on the possibility of the MLS expanding beyond 24 franchises and reiterated the committee's areas of focus.

The update., by the way, came via the Task Force's new website -- stlstadium.com -- and this article via LockerDome.

“It’s excellent news to hear MLS Commissioner Don Garber acknowledge the possibility of expansion beyond 24 clubs,” Peacock said in the aforementioned release. “The emphasis of our task force is to develop plans for a stadium on the North Riverfront of downtown St. Louis that could be the new home for the St. Louis Rams and a future MLS expansion club. We look forward to hosting MLS Commissioner Garber later this year to explore the possibilities and reintroduce everything St. Louis has to offer Major League Soccer.”

In addition, the Task Force's new twitter account -- @stlstadium -- went on to reiterate that keeping the Rams is the committee's "priority", that obtaining an MLS franchise is a "focal point of plan", that a new St. Louis stadium would be an "excellent home" for MLS just as it will be in Atlanta's new dual-purpose NFL/MLS venue and that the Task Force continues to "make great progress."

Meanwhile this week,

(Full article is available below. Thanks, ROD, for being the best Rams board on the planet. I'm sure this will likely go in the relocation thread but wanted to get it posted):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...Force-Focused-on-Keeping-Rams-Adding-MLS.aspx

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Nice article Shane....

That's one aspect that seems to be underplayed in the Stadium talks. The MLS is getting bigger all the time and is gaining an ever increasing following. Sporting KC on the other side of the state has a 54 consecutive sellout streak going at Sporting Park @ over 18,000 a game. I was at the home opener for Sporting KC and it's an electric atmosphere. Would love to see STL get a team, instant rivalry!!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Nice article Shane....

That's one aspect that seems to be underplayed in the Stadium talks. The MLS is getting bigger all the time and is gaining an ever increasing following. Sporting KC on the other side of the state has a 54 consecutive sellout streak going at Sporting Park @ over 18,000 a game. I was at the home opener for Sporting KC and it's an electric atmosphere. Would love to see STL get a team, instant rivalry!!

The biggest hurdle is that the MLS likes to play in MLS exclusive stadiums unless the owner of the MLS team is also the owner of the NFL team in the city. Then they can play in the same stadium.

With that said, I don't know how big of a sticking point it is.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I really, really hope MLS comes to St. Louis. I want to become a fan, but I just can't find a time I can get behind. A STL based team would peak my interest a lot.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I also really want a MLS team to come here. I like soccer a lot but without a local team here to support, I don't follow MLS. The World Cup doesn't come around often enough.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As soon as you soccer fans can explain to me how 2-0 is a blowout I will then and only then try to enjoy the sport. Although I concur the world cup is different for some reason.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
As soon as you soccer fans can explain to me how 2-0 is a blowout I will then and only then try to enjoy the sport. Although I concur the world cup is different for some reason.

Would you consider a 2 score lead a blowout in football? say, 21-7? It's the same thing, it just doesn't reflect 7 points on the scoreboard.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The biggest hurdle is that the MLS likes to play in MLS exclusive stadiums unless the owner of the MLS team is also the owner of the NFL team in the city. Then they can play in the same stadium.

With that said, I don't know how big of a sticking point it is.

Kroenke already owns one MLS team I wonder if they would let him own two.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Would you consider a 2 score lead a blowout in football? say, 21-7? It's the same thing, it just doesn't reflect 7 points on the scoreboard.

Very good that does help and when you factor in a two possession lead that makes sense too, but still seems like quite a bit of running around and not enough action, but you could make a similar debate for a well pitched baseball game.

However, if I ever do attend a professional soccer game as God as my judge I will never call the field "A Pitch" unless I'm in Europe because...When in Rome.

Big Willie

Starter
There are several players in MSL that grew up in St Louis or played collegiate soccer in the area. It would be cool to get to see home grown talent get a chance to play here. It is a growing sport and if you could have an NFL team and a MLS team share a stadium, that would allow STL to justify expenditures for keeping a high quality stadium over a long period of time.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I will say, we just got an MLS team here in Orlando and it has been really exciting to watch so far. I wish STL luck in getting a team.

image.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
More good stuff Shane.

I was just curious. Do you know how the NFL feels about the MLS and if it views having a team in the stadium is a positive for them? I haven't heard anyone voice opposition but with the increasing popularity of the MLS and what seems to be a slight tarnishing of the love affair with the NFL product, is there any chance the NFL is quietly opposed to the idea?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
No I would not consider 14 - 0 a blowout in football.