Stadium Talk, Quick's Ready, Hill at Helm & More Than 12 Other Observations Entering Season (101ESP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
(Full feature via link below intro serves up 17 separate points including why losing Bradford is not necessarily a death sentence, why Quick is ready to roll, much talk on the stadium, a look at the run game, four under-the-radar players to watch and much more. Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoy it):

Notables and Predictions for Rams in 2014

Shane Gray (@ShaneGmoSTLRams)

Oftentimes, people focus on specific St. Louis Rams opponents in attempting to diagnose the most difficult portion of the schedule. And while there is certainly some merit in doing so, each and every year teams that are expected to flourish eventually fail and clubs expected to flounder take flight.

*But the sequence of home and away matchups is invariable, and thus the most predictably difficult stretch of the Rams’ season will come in Weeks 8-12 – a brutal five-game period that includes three straight games on the road and four matchups occurring away from the Edward Jones Dome.

*Prior to Sam Bradford’s disappointing season-ending injury, I had St. Louis going 10-6 and earning a wild-card berth.

After reassessing the team following his trip to the injured reserve list, I have the Rams finishing just one game worse at 9-7.

*Obviously, I don’t view Sam Bradford’s injury as necessarily equating to some sort of death sentence for the upcoming campaign.

While Bradford looked terrific in the preseason and appeared poised for a possible breakout season, history proves that teams with a great defense, a good running game and a solid quarterback – quarterbacks of similar ilk to that of projected St. Louis starter Shaun Hill – can not only survive but thrive.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson throwing the rock, the Baltimore Ravens earned a title with pedestrian Trent Dilfer at QB and the Washington Redskins took home the prize with backup Doug Williams under center.

Like these aforementioned teams, the Rams have the pieces in place to unleash a defense dominant enough and a run game rugged enough to win with a marginal-to-average quarterback.

And while one would be foolish to project a deep playoff run with a backup signal-caller running the offense, one would be just as erroneously presumptuous to write off the club’s chances of earning a postseason berth just because Hill is at the helm.

*In fact, some of the numbers would suggest that St. Louis might potentially be better off with the veteran quarterback in the lineup.

Albeit in relatively limited activity, Hill’s career completion percentage and quarterback rating are superior to Bradford’s. In addition, Hill’s 13-13 record as a starter easily betters Bradford’s 18-30-1 mark and corresponding .370 winning percentage.

While not suggesting that the Rams will flourish without No. 8 and certainly not predicting improvement because of his absence, it isn’t as if St. Louis lost Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, either. The Rams lost a quarterback who has yet to perform that much better than one’s average, run-of-the-mill starting NFL pass-thrower to this point of his five-year career.

*Four under-the-radar players to watch in regard to making more impact than most expect: cornerback E.J. Gaines, linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong, tight end Cory Harkey and running back Trey Watts.

*It’s time for third-year wide receiver Brian Quick to shine.

Quick, at 6-4 and 225 pounds, possesses prototypical height and size. Furthermore, “Quickie” boasts elite athleticism, plus-rated speed and above-average strength.

In short, the tall receiver has everything in the toolbox necessary to become a force in this league.

This year, Quick produced what most observers labeled his best training camp to date, displaying the abilities that enticed the Rams into making him an early second-round pick. Additionally, Quick had a very impressive preseason, running some great routes and making several big plays.

While he struggled to adapt to the intricacies of an NFL playbook in his first two seasons after using a limited one at small-school Appalachian State, he told me the struggles are behind him.

For the full feature and talk on the stadium situation, Robert Quinn, why I like the Rams run game even more than a season ago, Forbes values and much more, please click below. Thanks!:
http://www.101sports.com/2014/09/02/ram ... iscussion/

https://twitter.com/ShaneGmoSTLRams

Last edited:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Thanks for the article, Shane! I agree with you that the team has the people in place to get victories despite the loss of Sammy B! Hoping it's a couple more victories than your guess!

Alan

Legend
It's good to see you decided not to go the hara-kiri route after Sam's injury Shane. :LOL:

Good stuff as usual.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the article, Shane! I agree with you that the team has the people in place to get victories despite the loss of Sammy B! Hoping it's a couple more victories than your guess!

Thank you, rhinobean. I appreciate that. Hope you were able to view the entire 17 point feature via the link as there is a lot more to the article that wasn't shared here. Thanks again and I stand in agreement with you in hoping the Rams won-loss is better than that of which I predicted.

ShaneG

Starter
It's good to see you decided not to go the hara-kiri route after Sam's injury Shane. :LOL:

Good stuff as usual.

Haha, thanks Alan! And I appreciate the kind words. Hope you were able to view the entire 17 point feature.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
(Full feature via link below intro serves up 17 separate points including why losing Bradford is not necessarily a death sentence, why Quick is ready to roll, much talk on the stadium, a look at the run game, four under-the-radar players to watch and much more. Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoy it):

Notables and Predictions for Rams in 2014

Shane Gray (@ShaneGmoSTLRams)

Oftentimes, people focus on specific St. Louis Rams opponents in attempting to diagnose the most difficult portion of the schedule. And while there is certainly some merit in doing so, each and every year teams that are expected to flourish eventually fail and clubs expected to flounder take flight.

*But the sequence of home and away matchups is invariable, and thus the most predictably difficult stretch of the Rams’ season will come in Weeks 8-12 – a brutal five-game period that includes three straight games on the road and four matchups occurring away from the Edward Jones Dome.

*Prior to Sam Bradford’s disappointing season-ending injury, I had St. Louis going 10-6 and earning a wild-card berth.

After reassessing the team following his trip to the injured reserve list, I have the Rams finishing just one game worse at 9-7.

*Obviously, I don’t view Sam Bradford’s injury as necessarily equating to some sort of death sentence for the upcoming campaign.

While Bradford looked terrific in the preseason and appeared poised for a possible breakout season, history proves that teams with a great defense, a good running game and a solid quarterback – quarterbacks of similar ilk to that of projected St. Louis starter Shaun Hill – can not only survive but thrive.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson throwing the rock, the Baltimore Ravens earned a title with pedestrian Trent Dilfer at QB and the Washington Redskins took home the prize with backup Doug Williams under center.

Like these aforementioned teams, the Rams have the pieces in place to unleash a defense dominant enough and a run game rugged enough to win with a marginal-to-average quarterback.

And while one would be foolish to project a deep playoff run with a backup signal-caller running the offense, one would be just as erroneously presumptuous to write off the club’s chances of earning a postseason berth just because Hill is at the helm.

*In fact, some of the numbers would suggest that St. Louis might potentially be better off with the veteran quarterback in the lineup.

Albeit in relatively limited activity, Hill’s career completion percentage and quarterback rating are superior to Bradford’s. In addition, Hill’s 13-13 record as a starter easily betters Bradford’s 18-30-1 mark and corresponding .370 winning percentage.

While not suggesting that the Rams will flourish without No. 8 and certainly not predicting improvement because of his absence, it isn’t as if St. Louis lost Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, either. The Rams lost a quarterback who has yet to perform that much better than one’s average, run-of-the-mill starting NFL pass-thrower to this point of his five-year career.

*Four under-the-radar players to watch in regard to making more impact than most expect: cornerback E.J. Gaines, linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong, tight end Cory Harkey and running back Trey Watts.

*It’s time for third-year wide receiver Brian Quick to shine.

Quick, at 6-4 and 225 pounds, possesses prototypical height and size. Furthermore, “Quickie” boasts elite athleticism, plus-rated speed and above-average strength.

In short, the tall receiver has everything in the toolbox necessary to become a force in this league.

This year, Quick produced what most observers labeled his best training camp to date, displaying the abilities that enticed the Rams into making him an early second-round pick. Additionally, Quick had a very impressive preseason, running some great routes and making several big plays.

While he struggled to adapt to the intricacies of an NFL playbook in his first two seasons after using a limited one at small-school Appalachian State, he told me the struggles are behind him.

For the full feature and talk on the stadium situation, Robert Quinn, why I like the Rams run game even more than a season ago, Forbes values and much more, please click below. Thanks!:
http://www.101sports.com/2014/09/02/ram ... iscussion/

https://twitter.com/ShaneGmoSTLRams

Nice article again Shane.
Thanks for posting my friend.

I totally agree with you. It's a mistake to totally write off this season.
And the stadium thing, has a LONG way to go.

Alan

Legend
ShaneG thinking I'd forget:
Haha, thanks Alan! And I appreciate the kind words. Hope you were able to view the entire 17 point feature.
I always go to your site at least three times Shane because you're probably looking for number of hits. I always hit the more buttons and read that too. ;) I like to encourage writers I like to post here. (y)

ShaneG

Starter
I always go to your site at least three times Shane because you're probably looking for number of hits. I always hit the more buttons and read that too. ;) I like to encourage writers I like to post here. (y)

That's tremendous. Honored that you take the time to do that, truly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Shane; great piece. Packed with good stuff.

I found these two pieces as "new info" to me.

It has been understated by many, but there are a significant number of would-be ticket buyers who continue to flat-out refuse to purchase seats and attend games due to the combination of an unresolved stadium issue and “Silent” Stan’s refusal to say anything about the team’s long-term intentions. With all the losing, the lease issue and the continued no comment from the organization’s owner, those overly critical of some vacant seats are disingenuous, delusional or altogether ignorant of the overall situation.

Bernie Miklasz reported that Kroenke enjoys it when hearing of Rams-to-L.A. rumblings.

I personally understand why fans would feels slighted and hesitant to support the team in this state of uncertainty. But... Hadn't heard that before.

And... Bernie has been banned from these parts for a period due to his negativity... So I missed the piece you quote. Surprising if true.

RamDynasty

UDFA
image.jpg

Thanks Shane. Kroenke (mr. burns) continues to be a douche to the fans of STL as he always has. Kick his ass Homer!

Last edited by a moderator:

ShaneG

Starter
Shane; great piece. Packed with good stuff.

I found these two pieces as "new info" to me.

I personally understand why fans would feels slighted and hesitant to support the team in this state of uncertainty. But... Hadn't heard that before.

And... Bernie has been banned from these parts for a period due to his negativity... So I missed the piece you quote. Surprising if true.

Thank you my friend. Yes, some interesting stuff there, particularly re: Kroenke.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Shane, very nice article. I look forward to continued articles throughout the season. Go RAMS!

Edit: Shane, I pointed this out in another thread, but if Stan wants to move the RAMS he might as well move them to Montana. He has a bunch of ranch/farm land he can build the stadium on. :whistle:

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
RamDynasty with this:
Kroenke (mr. burns) continues to be a douche to the fans of STL as he always has.
Can you give me even one example of that? Because for some reason, I have the exact opposite opinion of him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Can you give me even one example of that? Because for some reason, I have the exact opposite opinion of him.

Yeah, I call BS on that as well!

RamDynasty

UDFA
Not once has he been on a tv station to talk about this team. Most owners are community oriented. He makes himself always unavailable for ANYTHING Ram related. Has he mentioned anything about planning to stay in STL? Has he mentioned anything about STL? Does he say he likes the fans here? Did he just buy stadium sized property in LA? Why would you have a warm feeling about Kroenke based on his interaction with the STL public since 1995? I saw him interviewed 1 freaking time in 20 years here, after he waited until the last second to basically shaft Shad Khan from buying the team. He is a snake and will move this team sooner than later I feel. What has Silent Stan done to show the STL Ram fans that he's here for us?

209RamsFan

Yeah the guy is very Aloof, I've seen Elvis, the Tooth fairy and Santa Claus, more than I've seen his ass, he needs to let fans know what's up? This is total BS on his part....what a lousy way to keep fans in the Dark.