St. Louis Rams, who had the best rookie season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Jordan Palmer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football/article/389327/30/Whothe-best-A-look-at-Rams-Rookie-seasons-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ksdk.com/sports/pro_football ... e-seasons-</a>

130613063056_st-louis-rams.jpg

(KSDK Sports) -- Rams rookies report to training camp today, and with several high profile college athletes looking to make a mark in their first NFL seasons, perhaps we should look back at some of the best rookie seasons in St. Louis Rams history.

First, let's lay down some ground rules. This is St. Louis Rams history, so sorry Jerome Bettis and Eric Dickerson but you're not on the list. It has to be a season in which they were eligible for the rookie of the year, so breakout years from Kurt Warner and Isaac Bruce won't be here either.

Finally, the player has to make an impact on the recordable stats or the team's record, so, sorry Orlando Pace but the 43 sacks allowed and the 5-11 record just won't cut it.

So here we go.

6. Pisa Tinoisamoa's 2003 season / 43rd overall pick in the 2003 draft.

Pisa Tinoisamoa was a key contributor to the Rams' "bend but don't break defense" in 2003. In that season, The Rams forced five more turnovers than any team in the league and helped them finish with their last winning record in team history, and Tinoisamoa was a strong contributor to that. He was second on the team in tackles with 67, had three interceptions and forced four fumbles.

His rookie year was his finest in overall production, and after two years with the Chicago Bears Tinoisamoa called it quits after 8 years in the league.

5. Marc Bulger's 2002 season / 168th overall Pick in the 2000 draft. Marc Bulger drafted by Saints in 2000 168 overall but went without a team until 2002 when he started 7 games as a part of the QB carousel of 2002. While the other two were struggling to the tune of 10 touchdowns to 21 interceptions and a record of 1-8, Bulger was succeeding. A quarterback rating of over 100, 6-1 record and a 14-6 Touchdown to INT ratio made him the best option, but his injury bug that plagued him throughout his career was already becoming evident.

He missed three games in a row with an injured finger after taking over the starting role mid-season, then was removed from the game in late December with a back injury, and missed the following week. His production and win-loss record made him the starter in 2003, but his injuries would continue behind a weak offensive line, and made his last NFL appearance in 2009.

4. James Laurinaitis 2009 Season / 35th overall pick in the 2009 draft. A stand out performer at The Ohio State University, James Laurinaitis entered the draft as one of the highest rated linebacker prospects. After being a tackling machine as a Buckeye, Laurinaitis picked up right where he left off in the pro game.

His 107 tackles led the young defense and was the first 100-tackle season in 3 years. He announced himself as the leader of the team even as a rookie. He also threw in 2 interceptions, 2 sacks and 1 fumble recovery for good measure. Although the Rams were 1-15 in 2009 and their defense ranked second to last in terms of scoring, Laurinaitis showed that better times were ahead.

3. Janoris Jenkins 2012 Season / 39th overall pick in the 2012 draft. There was no question that Janoris Jenkins had talent when he declared for the draft, but his off the field issues kept his name on the board for 38 picks in 2012, long enough for gambling head coach Jeff Fisher to snatch him early in the second round.

Jenkins was a good addition to a young defense that is growing together, but his biggest impact was in game changing plays. He led the league in defensive touchdowns, and with his three INT returns for touchdowns he now ranks seventeenth among active players in that category after just one year.

2. Torry Holt 1999 season / sixth overall pick in the 1999 draft
Torry Holt was the Rams sixth pick in the 1999 draft, and was teamed up with the most talented offense St. Louis had ever seen. First year starter and league MVP Kurt Warner, All-Pro Isaac Bruce, scoring machine Marshal Faulk and all-time great Orlando Pace all made the pro-bowl on the offensive side of the ball, so Holt just had to slide in and contribute.

His regular season stats were good, but not great. 788 receiving yards, 6 touchdowns, and 4 fumbles while making 15 starts made him the team rookie of the year, but his real presence came in the Super Bowl. A third quarter touchdown to put the rams up 16-0, and 109 receiving yards in the game helped the Rams to their first and only title.

1. Sam Bradford 2010 season / first overall pick in the 2010 draft
Some fans have been critical of Sam Bradford's play in the first three seasons of his career due to the successes of other rookie quarterbacks, but what they forget is that Sam was one of the first QBs to be a first year starter.

His 590 passing attempts and 354 completions both set rookie passing records, and he became only the third rookie to pass for over 3000 yards. His success wasn't in statistics, it was on the scoreboard. Following the 1-15 season of 2009, Bradford led the Rams to a 7-9 record and one win away from the playoffs. His performance in that final game against the Seahawks left something to be desired, but Bradford was still voted AP Offensive Rookie of the Year. He became the only St. Louis Ram to win the award, and joined Hall of Famers Jerome Bettis and Eric Dickerson as the third winner in the organization's history.

So there it is, my list. There are many others like it but his one is mine. This is purely my opinion, and you may have your own, so leave a comment of your top six, or top eight or top ten or whatever. Let's hear it.

iced

how do they call bulger injury prone?

Bulger has been sacked 240 times in only 87 games. Compare that to Peyton Manning who has been sacked 205 times in 176 games.

nighttrain

Legend
iced said:

Bulger has been sacked 240 times in only 87 games. Compare that to Peyton Manning who has been sacked 205 times in 176 games.
no fixing stupid
train

jjab360

Legend
iced said:

Aaron Rodgers has been sacked 202 times in 78 games and has only missed a game due to injury once in five years. Bulger missed 23 games and only started a full season once in his entire career. He was injury prone.

iced

jjab360 said:
iced said:

Aaron Rodgers has been sacked 202 times in 78 games and has only missed a game due to injury once in five years. Bulger missed 23 games and only started a full season once in his entire career. He was injury prone.

Aaron Rodgers also has taken sacks from scrambling around.

Bulger was a pocket QB with a o-line that changed more often than paris hilton's boyfriends

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bradford. AP Offensive ROY. It's hard to argue against that.

But, I'd put Jenkins a very close 2nd and Laurinaitis a solid 3rd. Holt 4th. Tinoisamoa 5th.

I don't think it's fair to put Bulger on this list. He wasn't a rookie. Yeah... it was his first year playing... but still... that's not the same. So he's disqualified IMO.

iced

CGI_Ram said:

But, I'd put Jenkins a very close 2nd and Laurinaitis 3rd.

eh sorry but I don't think Bradford should be #1... I'm leaning toward 3 or 4.

London Fletcher and Tori Holt are top 2 for me. Argument can be made for Archuleta too

jjab360

Legend
CGI_Ram said:

But, I'd put Jenkins a very close 2nd and Laurinaitis a solid 3rd. Holt 4th. Tinoisamoa 5th.

I don't think it's fair to put Bulger on this list. He wasn't a rookie. Yeah... it was his first year playing... but still... that's not the same. So he's disqualified IMO.
I'd put Holt over Laurinaitis. He was a large part of his team winning a Super Bowl, and I'm a big fan of JL but he was the leader of one of the worst teams in league history.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
CGI_Ram said:

London Fletcher and Tori Holt are top 2 for me. Argument can be made for Archuleta too

While Fletcher, Holt, and Archuleta had good seasons... none of them won a nationally recognized award at one of the most difficult positions in the league.

Bradford was pretty darn solid for a rookie.

iced

CGI_Ram said:
iced said:
CGI_Ram said:

While Fletcher, Holt, and Archuleta had good seasons... none of them won a nationally recognized award at one of the most difficult positions in the league.

Bradford was pretty darn solid for a rookie.

Because the QB position is over rated and bradford was in a dunk 'n dunk offense. And it's not like he had any competition either. Shurmur's offense was a joke and Bradford rarely went downfield.

It's not like his rookie season was anywhere near A Peyton Manning, RG3, or Andrew Luck.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
Because the QB position is over rated and bradford was in a dunk 'n dunk offense. And it's not like he had any competition either. Shurmur's offense was a joke and Bradford rarely went downfield.

It's not like his rookie season was anywhere near A Peyton Manning, RG3, or Andrew Luck.
For the purpose of that article though, he's not up against them either.

Context.

iced

X said:
iced said:

Context.

Doesn't have to be - I'm evaluating his performance, as a Rookie. It was not that impressive to me. That's just my opinion on it.

I felt other people had stronger seasons

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

Context.

Doesn't have to be - I'm evaluating his performance, as a Rookie. It was not that impressive to me. That's just my opinion on it.

I don't have a problem with this opinion. I don't think Bradford's rookie year was amazing either.

But... Torry Holt's rookie year doesn't compare to AJ Green's... or other examples I could cite comparing the player's you've mentioned to other rookies at their position.

In that perspective; I don't walk away all that impressed with the rookie seasons of Holt, Archuleta, or Fletcher.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Sam won the OROY so he has to be on the list but I rank his performance in the Pisa range. The problem for me is that I don't think we have ever had a player who really set the league on fire like a J.J. Watt or A.J. Green or even Suh. All the players listed had decent years but not anything more than that IMO. I'd put Holt's first among those listed.

iced

CGI_Ram said:
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

Context.

I don't have a problem with this opinion. I don't think Bradford's rookie year was amazing either.

But... Torry Holt's rookie year doesn't compare to AJ Green's... or other examples I could cite comparing the player's you've mentioned to other rookies at their position.

In that perspective; I don't walk away all that impressed with the rookie seasons of Holt, Archuleta, or Fletcher.

It's not about the year so much as it is the system and their contribution to the team.

Tori Holt's presence dramatically helped get us to the SB 34 and put a ring on the finger. I don't think you'll find someone else who had that same kind of impact.

But without question I think Bradford's rookie season was overrated, and I apparently am not alone.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9017</a>

I think that was the weakest schedule we had played in a long, long time. It actually was the 2nd easiest schedule going into the season

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2010/08/13/st-louis-rams-2010-strength-of-schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2010/08/1 ... -schedule/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

Context.

It's not about the year so much as it is the system and their contribution to the team.

Tori Holt's presence dramatically helped get us to the SB 34 and put a ring on the finger. I don't think you'll find someone else who had that same kind of impact.

But without question I think Bradford's rookie season was overrated, and I apparently am not alone.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=9017</a>

I think that was the weakest schedule we had played in a long, long time. It actually was the 2nd easiest schedule going into the season

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2010/08/13/st-louis-rams-2010-strength-of-schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2010/08/1 ... -schedule/</a>

You don't have to convince me it wasn't the amazing performance you want from ROY or that the 2010 Rams weren't very good.

But, he still earned it.

The other players in this debate didn't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
iced said:
CGI_Ram said:
iced said:
X said:
iced said:

Context.

I agree that Torry Holt is probably the winner in a situation like this. But the 1999 Rams' schedule was absurdly easy. The cumulative winning percentage of their opponents that year was .363.

I wouldn't say that Bradford's performance was "overrated" though. Who put it so high up on a pedestal that it has to be taken down a notch in the first place? I'd say it was okay by comparison to his predecessors. He was very efficient, and his ability to manage games and keep turnovers to a minimum helped the team a lot for a guy who had been about of football for as long as he had been (and who had come from spread roots while converting to pro-style).