St Louis Rams Press Conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Sam focused on football
By Nick Wagoner
ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10928202/michael-sam-st-louis-rams-focused-football

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Michael Sam's long, excruciating wait lasted nearly three full days before the St. Louis Rams drafted him Saturday night.

In the nearly three full days since, Sam hasn't taken much time to reflect on what his status as the first openly gay player selected in the NFL draft.

But obvious and emphatic reminders surrounded Sam on Tuesday afternoon as one of the largest media contingents in the Rams' St. Louis tenure turned all eyes to him in his introductory news conference.

Throughout the course of the nearly 20-minute question-and-answer session, Sam made it clear his focus is on moving past the bright lights and cameras and on to making the 53-man roster.

"Right now I am just looking forward to continuing on my dream," Sam said. "And if it inspires other people then, hey, I'm with you. Anyone that's not OK with that, if someone disowns you, hey, be a part of my family, I'll welcome you."

The Rams set out to use Tuesday's news conference as the first step in allowing Sam to continue that dream without having to worry about the intense media spotlight that has followed since his landmark announcement on ESPN in February.

First, they wanted to address their decision to draft Sam. After introducing each of their 10 other draft picks, coach Jeff Fisher offered some background on the steps that ultimately led to choosing Sam.

General manager Les Snead followed by making it clear the franchise's understanding of the importance of the decision and its place in history.

"All of us in our draft room were aware the decision would be a pivot in history," Snead said. "We started the maiden journey yesterday when Michael got here. As coach Fish has said before on Kenny Washington being the first African-American to get into the NFL post-World War II, was signed by this organization.

"The nice thing when you Google Kenny Washington is (he's a) forgotten hero. What's nice about that is there's going to be a timeline here and Michael is the first. Somewhere in the future, guess what? He's just going to be a name and a dot that some kid in middle school has got to memorize. We won't think it's anything special because it will be normal."

In his conference call with local media Saturday night, Sam said he believed he should be taken in the first three rounds after earning the SEC's Co-Defensive Player of the Year award in 2013. After having to wait for almost the entire draft, Sam was asked Tuesday if he thought his sexual orientation had anything to do with his fall to one of the draft's final picks.

Sam brushed off the question and made it clear he has no regrets about making his announcement and the attention that followed.

"I wouldn't do a thing different," Sam said. "I waited and I waited and I waited. And I said long ago that whoever picked me, whatever team does pick me, they'll know about my sexuality, they'll know everything about my past and that's the team I want to play for."

That team became the Rams and Sam said they have welcomed him with open arms.

Sam spent Tuesday morning watching the veteran defensive linemen go through an offseason workout and said each member of the group said hello to him and let him know it's time to get to work.

Sam's fellow rookies also offered no concerns about the attention that goes with having Sam as a teammate.

"Judge him by what he does on the field," tackle Greg Robinson said. "I think everybody wants to make his own decisions and, if that's the way he wants to live his life, I don't think it will interfere with football."

As for serving as a role model to others who will follow his path, Sam isn't rejecting the notion entirely so much as putting it off while he focuses on the tall order of making the Rams at their most crowded position.

"I will support all equality," Sam said. "It doesn't have to be just about gay rights. Right now I am focused on football. I will always support equality. Period. My job right now is to focus on football and making this team so I can help win championships."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Robinson and Joyner are really easy to like, and root for. Great listen Rams fans, know who you are rooting for.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Sam goes to work amid hoopla
• BY JEFF GORDON

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_0be15ca6-693d-5fd4-85c6-2c26b0ebb41d.html

Rams defensive end Michael Sam gained international fame as the first openly gay player drafted by a National Football League team.

He would much rather be known as an exceptional football player.

"I'm determined to be great," he said Tuesday afternoon at Rams Park during his introductory news conference. "I'm going to train hard and try to make this team."

He accepts his standing as a role model, but he prefers to define himself as an athlete.

"I will always support equality, period," Sam said. "But my job is to focus on football and help this team win a championship."

That will be no simple task, as the media crush at Rams Park demonstrated. Reporters came from all over the country to chronicle his first days on the job.

Sam faces more media scrutiny than any seventh-round draft pick in league history.

"We've definitely got to be aware that Michael Sam and the social impact of the pick needs a special place," Rams general manager Les Snead told ESPN Radio on Monday. "We'll prepare for that. We'll handle it, but at the end of the day we want this to become as normal for everybody as possible."

Yeah, well, that is going to be easier said than done.

His initial news conference as na NFL hopeful drew more than 80 media types. Satellite trucks crowded the parking lot. TV reporters did stand-up reports out in front of the complex, under a tent protecting them from the persistent drizzle.

Photographers took footage of other photographers waiting to get footage of Sam.

These folks had lots of questions. What was his message to others who have suffered from social stigmas?

"It's OK to be who you are, gay, straight, black, white — it's OK to be comfortable in your own skin," Sam said.

And . . .

"I'm just looking forward to continuing on my dream. If it inspires other people, I'm with you."

Has he heard homophobic insults on the football field?

"It did not happen last season because nobody knew," Sam said.

How does he handle the hateful response his selection triggered in the social media and elsewhere?

"How do I handle it?" he asked rhetorically. "I don't read it."

Was he nervous meeting his new teammates?

"I had no nerves at all," Sam said. "They came to me, 'welcome to the family, let's get to work'."

The other Rams rookies had to field Sam questions in addition to inquiries about their own hopes and dreams.

"He seemed like a real good guy," top pick Greg Robinson said. "We did a commercial together.

"I don't think he will be a problem in the locker room. I don't think it will interfere with football."

Third-round pick Tre Mason shrugged off the issue. "We're a team," he said. "He's almost a family member."

Has second-round pick Lamarcus Joyner ever played with a gay teammate?

"Not that I know of," he said. "That's why I respect him so much. He is a courageous young man."

Demetrius Rhaney was selected in the seventh round, right after the Sam selection. "I'm happy they gave him an opportunity," Rhaney said. "He had a great senior campaign. He earned it."

And now Sam wants to earn his place in the NFL.

"The work is just starting," coach Jeff Fisher said, bringing the news conference to a close. "We are looking forward to being part of this journey

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
All these guys come off as having great personalities in my opinion. I think they will gel well together and bump this team to the next level.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Did you fucking hear that? "If someone has disowned you then be part of my family. Ram Up!"

How fucking awesome is that. We're going to have so many new loyal fans. This is wild.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Did you freaking hear that? "If someone has disowned you then be part of my family. Ram Up!"

How freaking awesome is that. We're going to have so many new loyal fans. This is wild.
That was very cool. He seems genuine. I really liked his message about equality, and he really seems eager to play some football. I can't remember so many good stories on this team...Superbowl worthy stories.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
That was very cool. He seems genuine. I really liked his message about equality, and he really seems eager to play some football. I can't remember so many good stories on this team...Superbowl worthy stories.
We're a marketers dream. And I can't think of a better kid to put on the podium in front of the world's media than Michael Sam. This kid is gong to do wonderful things for the NFL's image.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We're a marketers dream. And I can't think of a better kid to put on the podium in front of the world's media than Michael Sam. This kid is gong to do wonderful things for the NFL's image.
I truly hope that the young man does well, all that can do is benefit the team, and the league, in every way.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All these guys come off as having great personalities in my opinion. I think they will gel well together and bump this team to the next level.

I watched all 4 videos... And that was my same thought. I hadn't really had that vibe before from an entire class.

I wish them well and hope they all kick ass!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Lamarcus Joyner is fun to listen to. Got a feel he's going to be a beast.

Have you seen this play by him? The definition of effort and motor. Follow him, he blitzes the QB and gets pressure.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Have you seen this play by him? The definition of effort and motor. Follow him, he blitzes the QB and gets pressure.

That's an insane effort by Joyner. First he was chasing the QB, then he circled around and chased him downfield getting blocked to the ground. I have no idea how he got back up and actually caught Epps. Amazing.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
D'Marco said Lady GaGa is sporting the Sam jersey.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Wow!

That is the definition of never quit on a play.

Again... Wow!