St. Louis Rams Need A Richard Sherman-like Defender

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Ted Bryant
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/01/20/st-louis-rams-need-a-richard-sherman-like-defender/

sherman-750x256.jpg

Say what you want about his post-game antics after Seattle’s 23-17 victory over San Francisco last night, but Seahawk’s cornerback Richard Sherman is the type of defender the Rams’ desperately need as a member of their secondary.

For those of you that perhaps let your Rams’ allegiance steer you away from a game featuring two of their biggest rivals, or if you live in an obscure time zone and couldn’t sacrifice precious sleep to stay awake for it like me, feel free to catch yourself up here. While Sherman comes off a bit brash and over-the-top out of context, it’s difficult to make an argument against the guy’s skill-level. Sherman is very open about his claim as being the top cornerback in the game today, and though he may not yet hold the outright title, he’s definitely in the conversation. Pro Football Focus had him ranked as the sixth best cornerback among those that played at least 60% of their team’s defensive snaps this season with an overall grade of 12.4. According to the metrics, Tampa Bay’s Darrelle Revis is still the top performing cornerback in the league, as his grade of 18.2 topped the season chart.

What I’m getting at is that, while the young Rams’ cornerbacks made some progress in 2013, they’re still miles away from a level of production that Seattle is getting out of Sherman. Second-year cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson were the go-to guys on the outside this past season, and while they show flashes of high-level ability, their development must become a major focus if the defense is going to take the next step in 2014. It’s been well-documented that the Rams have limited cap space to work with this offseason and have glaring holes to fill along the offensive line, at outside linebacker, and at safety. With that said, it doesn’t appear that any veteran help will be brought in to complement Jenkins and Johnson.

Jenkins improved a bit in year two, but his play was still relatively streaky and he showed signs of youth. Both he and Johnson graded poorly in pass coverage overall, and were part of a secondary that finished 19th in the league against the pass, as opposed to a top-10 finish against the run. Johnson graded out as the 37th rated cornerback in the league among players with at least 60% of the team’s snaps, while Johnson – in his first year as a major contributor – finished 44th out of 59 total.. For comparison’s sake, Sherman was selected by the Seahawks in the fifth round in 2011 with expectations as modest as those given to Jenkins and Johnson. In his first year with the team, he showed impressive coverage skills and worked his way into the starting lineup. In year two, he made a gigantic leap and graded out as the top performing cornerback in the league behind only Minnesota’s Antoine Winfield and earned All-Pro honors. Moving forward, his status as one of the league’s best is no longer in question.

Don’t get me wrong, I think both Jenkins and Johnson have long-term starter potential. It appears at this point that the Rams will have to rely on the pair for at least one more season (if not longer), which means it’s reasonable and justified to expect improvement in 2014. Should one or both indeed make a significant leap, it would be a major complement to a defensive unit that’s made great strides in other areas.

The Rams’ defensive line has evolved into one of the league’s most ferocious units, thanks in large part to the duo of defensive ends Chris Long and PFWA Defensive Player of the Year Robert Quinn. Not to be outdone, William Hayes is easily one of the best backup defensive ends in the league, and second-year defensive tackle Michael Brockers is slowly but surely coming into his own as well. Just magine what a shutdown corner could do to increase the already stellar production levels of the Rams’ front four. Quinn might even have broken the league single-season sack record with a few more sacks resulting from tighter coverage. It’s extrapolation, yes, but something worth considering.

I’ve never been a fan of trash talk just for trash talk’s sake, but it’s obvious that Sherman’s confidence in his abilities brings a unique element to the top-ranked Seattle defense. Since it doesn’t appear likely that the Rams will bring in an immediate impact player at the position due to cap restrictions, the development of Johnson and Jenkins should be a major focus of the Rams’ defensive personnel.

Alan

Legend
An excellent point that I hope the Rams FO see too. #37 & #44 out of 59. It's a good thing that Finnegan got injured early enough that he didn't achieve that 60% of snaps mark or we'd have had #59 too. :disappoint:
OT, CB and FS EARLY please.

Alan

Legend
RamsOfCastamere with a truism:
Every team team needs a shutdown corner, not just the Rams
Except for the lucky bastards who already have one.

PhxRam

Johnson graded out as the 37th rated cornerback in the league among players with at least 60% of the team’s snaps, while Johnson – in his first year as a major contributor – finished 44th out of 59 total

Johnson and Johnson. Nice

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The size the speed and the refs not throwing flags every time he gets close to a WR makes it a bit easier for Sherman to make those plays too. The playoffs have been called completely different than the regular season that saw Jenkins getting flagged every game.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
An excellent point that I hope the Rams FO see too. #37 & #44 out of 59. It's a good thing that Finnegan got injured early enough that he didn't achieve that 60% of snaps mark or we'd have had #59 too. :disappoint:
OT, CB and FS EARLY please.

I agree with Alan. We need a FS early - assuming there is a playmaker in the draft. A good FS in SEA makes Sherman that much better. It instills confidence that he just needs to do his job and only his job. I think that Jenkins feels he has to play beyond himself currently. He's a talent and I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The dude is still a tool. Yeah - he's a very good corner but what a psycho. It's great though. He can keep whacking out and you know that means come contract time, he will expect the biggest payday ever awarded to a CB. Can't wait until they have to start paying some of these guys.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The dude is still a tool. Yeah - he's a very good corner but what a psycho. It's great though. He can keep whacking out and you know that means come contract time, he will expect the biggest payday ever awarded to a CB. Can't wait until they have to start paying some of these guys.
I can't wait to see someone stretch Sherman out on the field, his plan is transparent he's a self promoter and the press lap his TO like act up.
What blows me away is how people make excuses for him because of where he was raised yada yada,bottom line dysfunctional people remain dysfunctional because their apologists enable them F them all.
I REALLY object to the idea he is some sort of standard for what it takes to win in this league or we need someone like him,we need to score more points and keep what we have defensively and we'll be fine

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
IDK who Ted Bryant is, but his writing seems more calm than what Bernie spews out. Yet I still disagree. Here goes.

By Ted Bryant
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/01/20/st-louis-rams-need-a-richard-sherman-like-defender/

Say what you want about his post-game antics after Seattle’s 23-17 victory over San Francisco last night, but Seahawk’s cornerback Richard Sherman is the type of defender the Rams’ desperately need as a member of their secondary.

I'd rather have a guy like Champ Bailey in the secondary.

For those of you that perhaps let your Rams’ allegiance steer you away from a game featuring two of their biggest rivals, or if you live in an obscure time zone and couldn’t sacrifice precious sleep to stay awake for it like me, feel free to catch yourself up here. While Sherman comes off a bit brash and over-the-top out of context, it’s difficult to make an argument against the guy’s skill-level. Sherman is very open about his claim as being the top cornerback in the game today, and though he may not yet hold the outright title, he’s definitely in the conversation. Pro Football Focus had him ranked as the sixth best cornerback among those that played at least 60% of their team’s defensive snaps this season with an overall grade of 12.4. According to the metrics, Tampa Bay’s Darrelle Revis is still the top performing cornerback in the league, as his grade of 18.2 topped the season chart.

Yeah, no one is saying he's a bad at CB. Saying Richard Sherman comes off a "bit brash" is like saying Oprah Winfrey is slightly wealthy. He needs to be humble and let his play do the talking.

What I’m getting at is that, while the young Rams’ cornerbacks made some progress in 2013, they’re still miles away from a level of production that Seattle is getting out of Sherman. Second-year cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson were the go-to guys on the outside this past season, and while they show flashes of high-level ability, their development must become a major focus if the defense is going to take the next step in 2014. It’s been well-documented that the Rams have limited cap space to work with this offseason and have glaring holes to fill along the offensive line, at outside linebacker, and at safety. With that said, it doesn’t appear that any veteran help will be brought in to complement Jenkins and Johnson

Well duh. That could apply to any player @ at any position.

Jenkins improved a bit in year two, but his play was still relatively streaky and he showed signs of youth.

Maybe b/c he is considered youth?

Both he and Johnson graded poorly in pass coverage overall, and were part of a secondary that finished 19th in the league against the pass, as opposed to a top-10 finish against the run. Johnson graded out as the 37th rated cornerback in the league among players with at least 60% of the team’s snaps, while Johnson – in his first year as a major contributor – finished 44th out of 59 total.. For comparison’s sake, Sherman was selected by the Seahawks in the fifth round in 2011 with expectations as modest as those given to Jenkins and Johnson. In his first year with the team, he showed impressive coverage skills and worked his way into the starting lineup. In year two, he made a gigantic leap and graded out as the top performing cornerback in the league behind only Minnesota’s Antoine Winfield and earned All-Pro honors. Moving forward, his status as one of the league’s best is no longer in question.

So how exactly how does should this effect the Rams' 2 CBs' development? Different players evolve @ different rates.

Don’t get me wrong, I think both Jenkins and Johnson have long-term starter potential. It appears at this point that the Rams will have to rely on the pair for at least one more season (if not longer), which means it’s reasonable and justified to expect improvement in 2014. Should one or both indeed make a significant leap, it would be a major complement to a defensive unit that’s made great strides in other areas.

Wait, if you think both CBs have long-term starter potential, why is it they "have to rely on them"? That sounds like it's a negative. As for development, that should apply to every player.

The Rams’ defensive line has evolved into one of the league’s most ferocious units, thanks in large part to the duo of defensive ends Chris Long and PFWA Defensive Player of the Year Robert Quinn. Not to be outdone, William Hayes is easily one of the best backup defensive ends in the league, and second-year defensive tackle Michael Brockers is slowly but surely coming into his own as well. Just magine what a shutdown corner could do to increase the already stellar production levels of the Rams’ front four. Quinn might even have broken the league single-season sack record with a few more sacks resulting from tighter coverage. It’s extrapolation, yes, but something worth considering.

Yes they have. Except both Robert Quinn and Chris Long took a few years to develop. Janoris Jenkins and Trumainie Johnson should be alloted that same time.

I’ve never been a fan of trash talk just for trash talk’s sake, but it’s obvious that Sherman’s confidence in his abilities brings a unique element to the top-ranked Seattle defense. Since it doesn’t appear likely that the Rams will bring in an immediate impact player at the position due to cap restrictions, the development of Johnson and Jenkins should be a major focus of the Rams’ defensive personnel.

I can't be the only one that gets annoyed at the "cap issues" issue. They team has been "against the cap" for quite some time and hasn't detered them from signing FAs and resigning their own guys.

As for trash talk, I don't see why it's OK for Richard Sherman to go into tirades w/o any repercussions while Ram players talk just as much smack and get flagged for it...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think Sherman is a great corner undoubtably but I do think having the safety talent that Seattle has allows him to look superior. When you have Earl Thomas behind you, you have much more freedom to make plays on the ball than, say, if you had Rodney McLeod behind you. I believe Jenkins would be just as great if he had the players around hi, that Sherman has.
image.jpg

But maybe I'm just biased....

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Sherman is a great corner undoubtably but I do think having the safety talent that Seattle has allows him to look superior. When you have Earl Thomas behind you, you have much more freedom to make plays on the ball than, say, if you had Rodney McLeod behind you. I believe Jenkins would be just as great if he had the players around hi, that Sherman has.
View attachment 1133
But maybe I'm just biased....

We will see. TJ was a rookie, but is solid and will only get better. I highly doubt we don't nab a starter opposite him.

We need something, we can't keep on going with over 68% completion and over 8 yards per attempt, I'll leave it to Fisher to figure out how to do it.

It's interesting looking at Fisher's last 5 pass Ds
2008 59.5% 12th
2009 66.9% 30th
2010 65.6% 31st
2012 66.2% 30th
2013 68.1% 32nd

Unsurprisingly 2008 was his last winning season

Last edited by a moderator:

Angry Ram

We need something, we can't keep on going with over 68% completion and over 8 yards per attempt, I'll leave it to Fisher to figure out how to do it.

It's interesting looking at Fisher's last 5 pass Ds
2008 59.5% 12th
2009 66.9% 30th
2010 65.6% 31st
2012 66.2% 30th
2013 68.1% 32nd

Unsurprisingly 2008 was his last winning season

But 19th overall...

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Richard Sherman just lost his freaking mind. That was a clear case of another player from the Seattle secondary maybe requiring a "substance" abuse test.

Yep I said it, roid rage + ghetto = for Pete's sake Caroll get that man away from the camera before your secondary is exposed!

Anyway, what does TJ McDonald have to do with whether or not they need talent at free safety, he's a strong safety.

Ramrasta said it. Earl Thomas.

Holy smokes if we could get Clinton-Dix and Gilbert I would be happy. Justin Gilbert may be more of a project, but you can't teach size.

Angry Ram

Richard Sherman just lost his freaking mind. That was a clear case of another player from the Seattle secondary maybe requiring a "substance" abuse test.

Yep I said it, roid rage + ghetto = for Pete's sake Caroll get that man away from the camera before your secondary is exposed!

Anyway, what does TJ McDonald have to do with whether or not they need talent at free safety, he's a strong safety.

Ramrasta said it. Earl Thomas.

Holy smokes if we could get Clinton-Dix and Gilbert I would be happy. Justin Gilbert may be more of a project, but you can't teach size.

Justin Gilbert is considered to be one of the top CBs in the nation. He's a great player.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's an egotistical sociopath.

Go check out his treatment on air of Skip Bayless (and I can't stand Bayless), it was embarrassing for him. Then consider the "you mad bro" after seeking out Brady on the field after the game, and the choke sign he threw at Keapernick. When you read his apology, written for him I'm sure, it rings hollow.

He's been a loudmouthed egotistical jock his whole career. Even his HC at Stanford who was on Mike & Mike this morning said he popped off then too. He defended it by saying he's a good person and the usual crap, but the fact is this.......

What people are claiming was "heat of the moment" wasn't heat of the moment at all. It was the same childish boorish behavior he has exhibited his entire career.

The thing that gets me is nobody wants to say that even if the ball was thrown the other way and a different player made the play if the camera was on him he would have popped off at the mouth pretty much just the same because that's the kind of guy he is.

An immature loudmouth.

The fact that he is one of the best at his position makes people over look it and makes him feel empowered to continue doing it without reserve.

Name
JP
They already have one. Cortland Finnegan. He just got old really fast and now his antics look really stupid because he can't back them up anymore. Similar to what will happen to Sherman when he gets older.

By Ted Bryant

sherman-750x256.jpg

What I’m getting at is that, while the young Rams’ cornerbacks made some progress in 2013, they’re still miles away from a level of production that Seattle is getting out of Sherman. Second-year cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson were the go-to guys on the outside this past season, and while they show flashes of high-level ability, their development must become a major focus if the defense is going to take the next step in 2014. It’s been well-documented that the Rams have limited cap space to work with this offseason and have glaring holes to fill along the offensive line, at outside linebacker, and at safety. With that said, it doesn’t appear that any veteran help will be brought in to complement Jenkins and Johnson.

Jenkins improved a bit in year two, but his play was still relatively streaky and he showed signs of youth. Both he and Johnson graded poorly in pass coverage overall, and were part of a secondary that finished 19th in the league against the pass, as opposed to a top-10 finish against the run. Johnson graded out as the 37th rated cornerback in the league among players with at least 60% of the team’s snaps, while Johnson – in his first year as a major contributor – finished 44th out of 59 total.. For comparison’s sake, Sherman was selected by the Seahawks in the fifth round in 2011 with expectations as modest as those given to Jenkins and Johnson. In his first year with the team, he showed impressive coverage skills and worked his way into the starting lineup. In year two, he made a gigantic leap and graded out as the top performing cornerback in the league behind only Minnesota’s Antoine Winfield and earned All-Pro honors. Moving forward, his status as one of the league’s best is no longer in question.