St. Louis Rams’ LB James Laurinaitis: On The Cusp?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Brandon Bate
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/29/4477108/st-louis-rams-linebacker-james-laurinaitis-patrick-willis-navorro-bowmam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/29/ ... rro-bowmam</a>

HgaPEkI.jpg

What do London Fletcher, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Daryl Washington, and James Laurinaitis all have in common?
Quite a bit actually...

For starters, they’re all middle/interior linebackers in the NFC. Fletcher, entering his 16th years as a pro, was with the Rams during the Greatest Show on Turf days, and obtained his lone Super Bowl [XXXIV] ring in 1999-2000 season. Willis, Bowman, Washington, and Laurinaitis don’t have the hardware, but their dynamic skill sets - paired with their leadership qualities - make their presence on the field no less imperative.

Another commonality amongst the group [at least the majority of it] is that the aforementioned leadership abilities haven’t gone unnoticed. Fletcher, Willis, and Laurinaitis all captained their team’s defensive units in 2012. Laurinaitis was asked to serve a leadership role in just his sophomore year in the NFL [2010]. He hasn’t let the Rams down. What he’s done on the field often goes unmentioned, but as a result of his work ethic, football intelligence, and consistent play, his role as captain has never been in question.

One final parallel I’ll draw amongst this group of LB’s comes in the form of statistic. Each of these middle/inside linebackers is notorious for their ability end the play when they make contact. To some, "tackles" is viewed as an overrated stat line, while "missed tackles" initiates campaign for one's prompt departure. This group has nothing to worry about. They’re some of the NFL’s best…

Most Tackles In The NFL [2010-2012]

YivCK8s.png

The chart above provides a quick snapshot as to why these players have been so valuable to their team’s defense, and why they’ve earned the respect of their peers throughout the league. More pertinent, let’s take a look at how these players performed in the most recent season:

k1wCffO.png

That’s enough about what they have in common. There are a couple of very key differences between these LB’s.

First, James Laurinaitis is the only true MLB of the bunch. There are obviously notable differences between 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, but with more field to cover - and being expected to patrol sideline to sideline - Laurinaitis’ ability to read the play and quickly take down ball-carriers shouldn’t go unnoticed. JL55 finished 2nd in the NFC in tackles in 2012, 22 behind league-leader Luke Kuechly, and two ahead of Seahawks’ MLB Bobby Wagner.

One final - more so defining - difference amongst these players is where they traveled in January of 2013. Four out of these five players hopped on a plane to Hawaii, put on a blue jersey, and played in one of the NFL's most meaningless exhibitions. Pro Bowl zings aside, it’s an honor to be named to the team, and James Laurinaitis is the only player in this group who wasn’t invited.

Now, to be fair, I’m not suggesting that Laurinaitis should’ve replaced any of these players. Moreover, I’m definitely not stating Pro Bowl selections should be based on one statistic. Fans are going to vote for their favorite players, and those on teams in larger markets are going to have an added advantage. It’s a popularity contest to an extent. Patrick Willis is the best inside linebacker in the game, but did London Fletcher - who is probably one of the most well-liked players in the NFL - make the trip to Hawaii because he’s one of the four best ILB’s in the NFC, or as a result of sustained respect from other NFL players?

Whether or not you buy what former Pro Bowler, and Vikings’ CB, Antoine Winfield is selling, he makes two valid points, and provides something to consider when pondering what's kept Laurinaitis out of the Pro Bowl. It took Winfield a decade before he made his first [of three] Pro Bowl appearance…He didn’t think it should’ve taken that long:

If you're in a small market, no one really gets to see you play…If you’re a quiet guy, it’s hard to get the attention.

Being outspoken and in a large market, are two things James Laurinaitis isn't, and I don’t suspect that either will change any time soon. The popularity of the team could increase with wins in 2013, but trying to compete for air time with the San Francisco 49ers would be futile. And while he’s vocal when necessary, the league probably won’t ask the Rams’ "Mike" linebacker to get mic’d up this season.

There are knocks on his game that may also contribute to being overlooked. His 0.5 sack in 2012 speaks to his involvement in the pass rush. Despite the Rams tying for the NFL lead in sacks [52], the scheme doesn't really require Lauinaitis to get heavily involved in the pass rush. Aside from an occasional delayed blitz - which rarely leads to taking down the QB - Laurinaitis won’t become a household name as a result of his sack celebrations.

Laurinaitis hasn’t always performed well in coverage, especially earlier in his young career. He has shown improvement from season to season, though. Having Alec Ogletree and Jo-Lonn Dunbar as a supporting cast should aid in his continued improvement, as he’ll no longer be expected to over-compensate for the inability of others [re: Leber & Poppinga, 2011].

With that being said, James Laurinaitis is a Top 10 inside linebacker in the NFL - who will likely be playing on a Top 10 defense - and it’s about time he got recognized for it. With the expected high-level of play from the ten players who surround him, 2013 could be a year in which James Laurinaitis puts together a Pro Bowl campaign.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
JL would rank a lot higher if he had more assisted tackles. He's at the top in solos and his lower assisted tackle total can largely be attributed to the lack of talent around him. I expect Ogletree to increase JL's stats in this area.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
A healthy and maturing Brockers should make his life a whole lot easier. When you look at some of the other guys on this list - Willis and Bowman have had Sopanga and Justin Smith, Washington had Dockett and Campbell...

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
PrometheusFaulk with another good point:
A healthy and maturing Brockers should make his life a whole lot easier. When you look at some of the other guys on this list - Willis and Bowman have had Sopanga and Justin Smith, Washington had Dockett and Campbell...

That too.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
albefree69 said:
PrometheusFaulk with another good point:

That too.

Also, pretty amazing that so many of these good defensive front seven players come from the NFC West! Even Arizona at the bottom has them.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Don't get me started on JL.

I can't get on board with this comparison at all. Watched every game so far in his career. He must be racking up 10-20 solo tackles every time I go to the bathroom.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
VCRam with intestinal problems:
He must be racking up 10-20 solo tackles every time I go to the bathroom.

Metamucil works for me. The extra gas keeps the wife at bay too.

jap

Legend
The Baby Animal, just like Sam the Ram, will be entering his second straight season as the Rams' defensive signal caller. Everything should go much more smoothly for him just as it will for Sam. It should help that he will be needed less to cover for less talented teammates.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
VCRam with intestinal problems:
He must be racking up 10-20 solo tackles every time I go to the bathroom.

Metamucil works for me. The extra gas keeps the wife at bay too.
After all the good med. advice I gave you to switch to Citrucel ,you are STILL using Metamucil :shock: ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wULOyg8jc9s[/youtube]

Now get your shit together :ww:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy underestimating my gullibility:
After all the good med. advice I gave you to switch to Citrucel ,you are STILL using Metamucil :shock: ?

Now get your shyte together :ww:
First of all, at my age I doubt I'll ever get my shit together.

Second of all, I listened to your advice about Citrucel and followed it. :shock:

Metamucil in the morning and Citrucel in the evening. my wife (an RN) did some research on both and they act differently and in fact can complement each other. It's overkill unless you're really in bad shape like me. :=:)

Thanks again for the advice. :bg:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:

First of all, at my age I doubt I'll ever get my shyte together.

Second of all, I listened to your advice about Citrucel and followed it. :shock:

Metamucil in the morning and Citrucel in the evening. my wife (an RN) did some research on both and they act differently and in fact can complement each other. It's overkill unless you're really in bad shape like me. :=:)

Fiber and gas advice? The forum is going to shit! :lmao:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:

First of all, at my age I doubt I'll ever get my shit together.

As long as you don't request a refund ,you are free to disregard my invaluable advice.

I find it advantageous to keep my shit together, spreading it is such a messy thing and when I lose it, I prefer to lose it all at one time.

SO here I suppose is the dialogue within Als large intestine transpires:
Citrucel: Gee Metamucil ,you seem to be awfully ebullient today.

Metamucil: In deed ? Please call me Met,can I call you Cit?

Citrucel : Feel free

Metamucil: And you Cit , orange is such a becoming color on you,oops time to.. "go".

Citrucel : See ya at the treatment plant we'll stir some there :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
From James Laurinaitis to Metamucil.

That's one fucked up game of telephone. :lol:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:

Maybe give these two a forum of their own to discuss their colons.

:bummed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
X said:

Maybe give these two a forum of their own to discuss their colons.

:bummed:
Did you want access to that one too? :shifty:

nighttrain

Legend
well, #55 is gonna knock a lot players on their Ass, so I guess this thread hasn't truly foundered.
train

fearsomefour

Legend
JL has already arrived. He is one of the best LB in the NFL. When the team wins more and makes the playoffs the idiots in the national press will then jump on board and "clue" everyone in. The comment someone made about Brockers maturing and freeing up JL even more is very true. I think Brockers is going to prove to be a steal where he was drafted. If we get that second DT, be it Cudjo or Langford, to be consistant and help occupy the interior....look out. The Rams are so, so close to being an elite D. Having the kind of speed we have now at OLB will assist JL and allow him to be more disciplined.
There are potential playmakers all over the D. If Ogletree can pick things up enough and not get fooled enough to be effective there are 7 potential difference makers on D by my estimation. Developing the S spots and that second DT are key. Amazing how much progress has been made in a short period of time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
JL has already arrived. He is one of the best LB in the NFL. When the team wins more and makes the playoffs the idiots in the national press will then jump on board and "clue" everyone in. The comment someone made about Brockers maturing and freeing up JL even more is very true. I think Brockers is going to prove to be a steal where he was drafted. If we get that second DT, be it Cudjo or Langford, to be consistant and help occupy the interior....look out. The Rams are so, so close to being an elite D. Having the kind of speed we have now at OLB will assist JL and allow him to be more disciplined.
There are potential playmakers all over the D. If Ogletree can pick things up enough and not get fooled enough to be effective there are 7 potential difference makers on D by my estimation. Developing the S spots and that second DT are key. Amazing how much progress has been made in a short period of time.
Good post. And I agree with the surrounding talent comments.
That really does cut both ways (Offense and Defense).

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Thordaddy said:
albefree69 said:

First of all, at my age I doubt I'll ever get my shyte together.

As long as you don't request a refund ,you are free to disregard my invaluable advice.

I find it advantageous to keep my shyte together, spreading it is such a messy thing and when I lose it, I prefer to lose it all at one time.

SO here I suppose is the dialogue within Als large intestine transpires:
Citrucel: Gee Metamucil ,you seem to be awfully ebullient today.

Metamucil: In deed ? Please call me Met,can I call you Cit?

Citrucel : Feel free

Metamucil: And you Cit , orange is such a becoming color on you,oops time to.. "go".

Citrucel : See ya at the treatment plant we'll stir some there :ww:

Your both full of Shyte
t9706.gif

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
fearsomefour said:

Exactamundo! And a couple nice things about the safety development -

1) Between Finny, JJ and Johnson the Rams have some of the better run support corners in the NFL.

2) The new DC has a profile of developing young safeties.

If they are able to force opposing offenses into 3rd and 4 plus, then Quinn, Long and Hayes have a field day. You're right, this is a unit that's very close to being something special. Now your turnovers Marty, you've gotta do something about your turnovers!