St. Louis Rams considering new uniforms

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
stan said:
bluecoconuts said:
stan said:
bluecoconuts said:
stan said:
bluecoconuts said:
A uniform can help a team play better. The psychological effect of what you're wearing can help or hinder play on the field.

in your opinion....

And the opinion of many other teams in various sports. The Dallas Cowboys are a huge example of that.

Cool, then you'll have no difficulty in getting that in writing.

Getting what in writing?

Proof of what you claim. That "A uniform can help a team play better. The psychological effect of what you're wearing can help or hinder play on the field."

I don't know why you're trying to pretend like superstitions doesn't exist in sports. Baseball is a big example, the Cowboys again are an example. There's the belief that their home jerseys are cursed, in fact other teams will sometimes wear their roads when the Cowboys come into town just to force them to wear their homes. We did it when we beat them in 2008.

The San Jose Sharks wear their alternates in the playoffs because they felt their regular homes carried bad juju in the postseason. The Los Angeles Kings did the same thing, in fact that was part of why they made the full time switch to the Alternates and created a road version of it, they knew the players like the jersey better. Worked out pretty well for them.

There's also playoff beards, where players believe that you don't shave once you're in the playoffs until you are eliminated. In the Finals after New Jersey fell behind LA 3 games they all shaved their beards convinced that something needed to change and won the next 2 before falling in 6.

Sam Bradford talks about how he has to do everything the same otherwise he doesn't feel right going into a game, and it screws him up. He talked about in college needing to have to sit at a certain table and have a certain number of mints after the meal. He even said at one point a teammate had to go talk to someone when they didn't have enough mints.

How a player feels has a huge impact on how they play. If they don't feel good about themselves for whatever reason, jersey, hair, beard, etc. then their heads might not be in the right place and they could have a down game.

stan

Rookie
bluecoconuts said:
I don't know why you're trying to pretend like superstitions doesn't exist in sports. Baseball is a big example, the Cowboys again are an example. There's the belief that their home jerseys are cursed, in fact other teams will sometimes wear their roads when the Cowboys come into town just to force them to wear their homes. We did it when we beat them in 2008.

The San Jose Sharks wear their alternates in the playoffs because they felt their regular homes carried bad juju in the postseason. The Los Angeles Kings did the same thing, in fact that was part of why they made the full time switch to the Alternates and created a road version of it, they knew the players like the jersey better. Worked out pretty well for them.

There's also playoff beards, where players believe that you don't shave once you're in the playoffs until you are eliminated. In the Finals after New Jersey fell behind LA 3 games they all shaved their beards convinced that something needed to change and won the next 2 before falling in 6.

Sam Bradford talks about how he has to do everything the same otherwise he doesn't feel right going into a game, and it screws him up. He talked about in college needing to have to sit at a certain table and have a certain number of mints after the meal. He even said at one point a teammate had to go talk to someone when they didn't have enough mints.

How a player feels has a huge impact on how they play. If they don't feel good about themselves for whatever reason, jersey, hair, beard, etc. then their heads might not be in the right place and they could have a down game.

Don't confuse the superstitions of an individual player with that of a wholesale change as with a uniform change. Players can generally do what they like but a uniform change isn't the same. A uniform change is mandated. And it's not mandated for added juju to win either. It's mandated to get people to buy what they already have for no other reason than to make MONEY. Could easily take your logic to change the name of a franchise too. Yet a name change destroys an established brand which costs MONEY to establish. The issue is making money not superstition.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
stan said:
bluecoconuts said:

Don't confuse the superstitions of an individual player with that of a wholesale change as with a uniform change. Players can generally do what they like but a uniform change isn't the same. A uniform change is mandated. And it's not mandated for added juju to win either. It's mandated to get people to buy what they already have for no other reason than to make MONEY. Could easily take your logic to change the name of a franchise too. Yet a name change destroys an established brand which costs MONEY to establish. The issue is making money not superstition.
And yet, the *thing* you disputed was the psychological effect a uniform can have on a player/team. I think Libertad made a few good points about that as well. There are lots of studies out there about behavior being influenced by certain colors too. It was an interesting point in its own right.

Now you're making it about the financial motives of an Organization though. If you dispute what he said, then offer some data to the contrary. We all know the players have no say in whether or not the Organization keeps the uniforms or makes a change. That's not what he was talking about.

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:
bluecoconuts said:

And yet, the *thing* you disputed was the psychological effect a uniform can have on a player/team. I think Libertad made a few good points about that as well. There are lots of studies out there about behavior being influenced by certain colors too. It was an interesting point in its own right.

Now you're making it about the financial motives of an Organization though. If you dispute what he said, then offer some data to the contrary. We all know the players have no say in whether or not the Organization keeps the uniforms or makes a change. That's not what he was talking about.

If you followed all my posts in this thread I've always been consistent that it is about MONEY.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let's let Prime Time and The Nature Boy settle this.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP6LWNrYrS0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDj_E0QLNs[/youtube]

Don't make me look for some Michael Irvin mink coat footage.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
bluecoconuts said:

If you followed all my posts in this thread I've always been consistent that it is about MONEY.
I did follow your post(s). I understand your original objection to a change, but I don't see how it ties into what Colin was saying about the psychological effects certain uniforms/color schemes can have on players or teams as a whole. Those are mutually exclusive points.

stan

Rookie
X said:
stan said:
X said:
stan said:
bluecoconuts said:

I did follow your post(s). I understand your original objection to a change, but I don't see how it ties into what Colin was saying about the psychological effects certain uniforms/color schemes can have on players or teams as a whole. Those are mutually exclusive points.
Show that the uniform change is being done because of superstition. Show that the change is being made to win more games. You can't. It will bring in more money. If there was any validity to changing the uniform gets more wins then big money for coaches must come into question. Which it won't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
Show that the uniform change is being done because of superstition. Show that the change is being made to win more games. You can't. It will bring in more money. If there was any validity to changing the uniform gets more wins then big money for coaches must come into question. Which it won't.
That's still not the point Colin was making, Squeaky.

Again, I KNOW that making a uniform change will bring in more money. That's one of those "duh" concepts.
It's also (IMO) based on Demoff fielding questions about the uniforms every single time he hosts a chat. There isn't a single Q & A session with him that doesn't contain at least one question about uniforms. Be it about the throwbacks or the current scheme. This isn't soley about the money if you follow the breadcrumbs. All that aside, Colin was making a side-point about the adverse effects uniforms or colors can have on a player's (or team's) psyche. You haven't offered anything that disproves that assertion.

stan

Rookie
X said:

Again, I KNOW that making a uniform change will bring in more money. That's one of those "duh" concepts.
It's also (IMO) based on Demoff fielding questions about the uniforms every single time he hosts a chat. There isn't a single Q & A session with him that doesn't contain at least one question about uniforms. Be it about the throwbacks or the current scheme. This isn't soley about the money if you follow the breadcrumbs. All that aside, Colin was making a side-point about the adverse effects uniforms or colors can have on a player's (or team's) psyche. You haven't offered anything that disproves that assertion.

I'm stan. I also don't have to disprove that which hasn't been proven. That being the uniform change is for improving the team psyche. However making more money, proven.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
stan said:
X said:

I'm stan. I also don't have to disprove that which hasn't been proven. That being the uniform change is for improving the team psyche. However making more money, proven.
Whatever. :neh:

Talk to you later.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
stan said:
X said:

WHO CARES if making money is one of the major drivers behind a uniform change? The Rams are a business. The goal of a business is to maximize shareholder wealth. Making money maximizes shareholder wealth. Is making money a bad thing? Especially considering a lot of the money will find its way back into the organization.

stan

Rookie
libertadrocks said:
stan said:
X said:

WHO CARES if making money is one of the major drivers behind a uniform change? The Rams are a business. The goal of a business is to maximize shareholder wealth. Making money maximizes shareholder wealth. Is making money a bad thing? Especially considering a lot of the money will find its way back into the organization.

I already have a Rams jersey. No doubt it is about making more money just don't give BS justification for it by claiming better player psyche more wins etc.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I already have a Rams jersey. No doubt it is about making more money just don't give BS justification for it by claiming better player psyche more wins etc.

Money is the major driver. Its a business. If the finance gurus figured a uniform change would result in a negative NPV they wouldnt do it.

When a business goes through a rough patch, they often need to rebrand the business. In the NFL a uniform is a big part of the rebranding process. The Rams need to rebrand.

Uniforms do effect players psychology tho. Colors have subconscious effects on the player and the opponent. Also if you feel more confident you will preform better. Hard to feel confident in shitty uniforms. (Yes some of our current scheme are shitty looking)

I have already posted academic journals proving the psychological correlation.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Maybe...just maybe, this organization should worry more about winning games before worrying about which uniform the team looks best in. :nono:

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
peanuts-charlie-brown.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
MontanaRamsFan said:
Maybe...just maybe, this organization should worry more about winning games before worrying about which uniform the team looks best in. :nono:

Not sure they are mutually exclusive. IMO, they should always be doing both.