St. Louis Rams Can’t Give Up On Young Receiving Corps This Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If you live in STL you better off buying your seafood and cooking it yourself. Or paying 4 times the price at a good restaurant! Rather cook my own! Off topic, fer sure!
It doesn't change if you head west.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Tavon Austin and the pressure of him to fill Amendola's role during his rookie season was a bit too much IMO. This offseason, I believe he'll have the time to really learn how to play the slot and be able to read coverages and thus adjust to them He'll be able to read defenses and adjust his route to the defense just like Amendola could do, and thus become a really reliable WR who can make plays on a consistent bases. I wonder how big a role his height will play into playing the slot, but next year should be a real indication of what he can truly do as a WR IMO.
I actually think Bailey is going to fill the DA role. I think Tavon is a guy you move around to exploit defenses in a different way. DA - like I see Bailey - was a Mr. Reliable kind of guy. Quick to get to spots and great hands. Tavon is that guy who you design gimmick plays for and do whatever you can to give him a little space so he can totally burn the other team.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I actually think Bailey is going to fill the DA role. I think Tavon is a guy you move around to exploit defenses in a different way. DA - like I see Bailey - was a Mr. Reliable kind of guy. Quick to get to spots and great hands. Tavon is that guy who you design gimmick plays for and do whatever you can to give him a little space so he can totally burn the other team.
Your thoughts mirror mine on TA exactly. To use him effectively, they should line him up everywhere, X, Y, Z and even RB.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Your thoughts mirror mine on TA exactly. To use him effectively, they should line him up everywhere, X, Y, Z

Your thoughts mirror mine on TA exactly. To use him effectively, they should line him up everywhere, X, Y, Z and even RB.

yea i really like the idea of ta at rb. what does the df do then take out a lb if they do we run it . if they don't then we have a lb covering ta out of the back field

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
yea i really like the idea of ta at rb. what does the df do then take out a lb if they do we run it . if they don't then we have a lb covering ta out of the back field

I see a steely in your avatar. Where are you in the pic?

laramsoriginal

Starter
The rams have bigger needs on the OL and even Safety. If the rams can acquire multiple 2nd round picks by trading down with the overall 2nd pick then I would push for the rams to draft WR K. BENJAMIN 6'5 225 with a 2nd round pick. Benjamin is very Raw but has great athletic ability combined with the size that the Rams WR corp is lacking.

laramsoriginal

Starter
As far as the WR on the roster, it lacks a go to guy. Austin is nice but will never be more than just a slot guy, a number 3 WR. I am against taking Watkins with the #2 pick. If Cleveland trades both number 1's to move up then perhaps taking Watkins might be a good choice because the rama can draft the best available Guard to start the season (Richardson from Baylor or Martin from Notre Dame)

RamsFan14

Starter
Well I guess I disagree with you guys a little bit on his role. Yea I agree he should be used for gadget plays, but I mean how many gadget plays can a team possibly come up with to really use him consistently? I personally think he'll use his speed in the slot to quickly get open (kind of like Amendola) to help Bradford out in the pocket. He'll be more familiar with defenses next year (if he studies, which I'm sure he will) and he'll be able to dictate his route depending on what the defense does, just like Amendola used to do all the time (probably why Bradford loved to throw to him so much). Only thing is he's much more quicker and faster then Amendola which is SCARY, but he is shorter then him... Which is my only concern with him and I just hope it doesn't hinder him much because I personally think he can replace Amendola's role next year given the proper time this offseason to really focus on studying defenses rather then trying to just learn the playbook. Idk how tough it'll be to get someone who's 5'8 the football consistently on the shorter passes (because of the QB trying to find him over the OL and trying to find someone who's that short).

That's how I personally envision him, with of course his fair share of runs to trick the defense. He otta improve next year if he really tries, which he seems like the case because he seems to want to get better.

With that said I still wouldn't mind drafting a player of Watkins or Evans ability. Both bring there talents to the table we can use (Evans needs to get faster! He would be so complete if he were faster!!!)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well I guess I disagree with you guys a little bit on his role. Yea I agree he should be used for gadget plays, but I mean how many gadget plays can a team possibly come up with to really use him consistently? I personally think he'll use his speed in the slot to quickly get open (kind of like Amendola) to help Bradford out in the pocket. He'll be more familiar with defenses next year (if he studies, which I'm sure he will) and he'll be able to dictate his route depending on what the defense does, just like Amendola used to do all the time (probably why Bradford loved to throw to him so much). Only thing is he's much more quicker and faster then Amendola which is SCARY, but he is shorter then him... Which is my only concern with him and I just hope it doesn't hinder him much because I personally think he can replace Amendola's role next year given the proper time this offseason to really focus on studying defenses rather then trying to just learn the playbook. Idk how tough it'll be to get someone who's 5'8 the football consistently on the shorter passes (because of the QB trying to find him over the OL and trying to find someone who's that short).

That's how I personally envision him, with of course his fair share of runs to trick the defense. He otta improve next year if he really tries, which he seems like the case because he seems to want to get better.

With that said I still wouldn't mind drafting a player of Watkins or Evans ability. Both bring there talents to the table we can use (Evans needs to get faster! He would be so complete if he were faster!!!)
I guess the problem I have with that is that I just don't see him being fully utilized within the containment area of a defense. Danny was rarely used on plays other than those needed to move the chains. On rare occasions? Sure. But I really don't think crisp routes are his thing and that was Danny's forte and I really think that is Bailey's forte as well.

If TA is returning punts and maybe kicks as well and running gadgets, change of directions, and quick outs at the goal line, he can potentially AVERAGE a TD a game. 16 TDs would put him in the top two or three in the league and not get him beat to death by going across the middle several times a game. Who wouldn't be happy with a #8 pick scoring 16 TDs a game? The guy had 6 TDs as a rookie and 3 of them came in one game. Aside from the short goal line passes, didn't all of them come in space? I'm not saying to never use him in the slot but to have that be his bread and butter IMO would not only be a waste but every team in the league would be looking to slow down the jitterbug on all subsequent plays.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not up to speed enough to know all of the players yet or where I would take them but I would build the lines and secondary. Everything else would be later unless there was a just can't pass player available.

I hope they can wheel and deal and get a pocket full of picks.

Go Rams!

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think we have enough at WR. Our scheme needs to work with what we have instead of aching for what we don't have all the time.
Plenty of teams get by with WR by comittee - we need to beef up the o-line

laramsoriginal

Starter
You guys should check out my mock draft lol. A lot of beef up front.
After a few trades:

13th overall: OT Lewan 6'6 310
18th overall: S. Haha clinton 6'1 205
26th: OG Richardson 6'5 330
40th: T/G Martin 6'4 305
44th: Wr Benjamin. 6'5 225
78th: CB Purifoy 6'0 190

Then release Wells, Dhals, Finnegan to clear up 15+million in salary cap letting the rams resign Safford