St. Louis Rams Can’t Give Up On Young Receiving Corps This Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

With the St. Louis Rams holding the No. 2 and No. 12 overall selections in the 2014 NFL Draft in addition to their full complement of picks in the later rounds, many are calling for the team to grab yet another wide receiver. Though they may want to add another late-round project type of guy like Chris Givens was in the 2012 draft (fifth round), spending a day one or day two pick on a wideout would be a misguided move by the franchise.

When the Rams allowed both Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson to leave via free agency last offseason no one could have anticipated quarterback Sam Bradford’s torn ACL in the 2013 season which took a toll on the production from all of the team’s young weapons. Transitioning from catching passes delivered by Bradford to snagging balls from Kellen Clemens is kind of like going from a steady diet of Red Lobster to your daily dose of Burger King. It still tastes alright at times, but you still crave that consistency of the previous dining destination.

Analogies aside, this Rams team with weapons like the aforementioned Givens, the ever-disappointing Brian Quick, rookie jitterbug Tavon Austin, his collegiate teammate Stedman Bailey and the ever-present Austin Pettis is more than adequately stocked at receiver. Add in the fact that they also have tight end Jared Cook who doubles as a wideout frequently and the space for another mouth to feed dwindles.

The real story here is that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was forced to adapt his system into one that accommodated Clemens rather than Bradford after his injury. Once the team started picking its spots more in the passing game rather than lining up in the shotgun every single down it freed up more space on the field. Giving a quarterback of Bradford’s caliber these weapons listed above with a run-heavy offense led by Zac Stacy would do wonders for the production of the receiving corps. Having a legitimate rushing attack forces the safeties to cheat up in run support which leaves the defense susceptible to shots over the top. Clemens didn’t always take advantage of these opportunities, but Bradford certainly wouldn’t shy away.

What it all boils down to is that the Rams have more than enough weapons at their disposal for the long-term. This team needs to focus on building in the trenches on offense along with finding some guys who can actually cover in the secondary rather than wasting frivolous choices on a receiver. Impact players are needed in those areas, not receiver, and this team would be wise to hold off on addressing the position until round four at the earliest.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...ing-corps-this-offseason/?q4D4kpsQyRL6f3l8.99

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I tend to agree..lets build the trenches..we have more than enough weapons to succeed if we can dominate the line of scrimmage

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not for nothin', but Red Lobster is disgusting.

RamsFan14

Starter
Tavon Austin and the pressure of him to fill Amendola's role during his rookie season was a bit too much IMO. This offseason, I believe he'll have the time to really learn how to play the slot and be able to read coverages and thus adjust to them He'll be able to read defenses and adjust his route to the defense just like Amendola could do, and thus become a really reliable WR who can make plays on a consistent bases. I wonder how big a role his height will play into playing the slot, but next year should be a real indication of what he can truly do as a WR IMO.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Let's see what Quick, Austin and Bailey can do with (hopefully) a full sixteen games of Bradford throwing to them behind an improved offensive line. Getting the trenches sorted should be our number one priority this off-season.

Having said that, it'd be very difficult to ignore Watkins if he is still available when we pick.

jjab360

Legend
I tend to agree..lets build the trenches..we have more than enough weapons to succeed if we can dominate the line of scrimmage
I don't see why we can't do both at the same time. After we trade down, we're probably going to have multiple firsts and multiple second rounders. Plenty of picks to upgrade pretty much every part of our team including our receiving corps. A truly dominant weapon will be able to make it so much easier for all of our other players, especially a guy like Tavon who can break open a game when he's not the focal point of the defense.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I still don't think this team (under Fisher) will ever feature a true #1 WR like a lot of people keep clamoring for. Line em up and kick em in the teeth with occasional play action to keep the box clean. We have the WRs we need to run that offense from what I can see. This team needs more beef up front on O and more speed in the back of the D.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 going down the rabbit hole:
I don't see why we can't do both at the same time. After we trade down, we're probably going to have multiple firsts and multiple second rounders. Plenty of picks to upgrade pretty much every part of our team including our receiving corps. A truly dominant weapon will be able to make it so much easier for all of our other players, especially a guy like Tavon who can break open a game when he's not the focal point of the defense.
I know that mock draft site is probably fun to play with but I think a dose of reality is in order.

Just saying.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
If we trade down, and the BPA is Watkins, we have to take him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Don't we pick 2nd and 13th?

Anyway, my choice would be to draft a STUD WR with our top pick.

And Red Lobster does suck. They are consistent at sucking though.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There is no guarantee that Watkins could come in and produce year 1. What if it takes him a year or two to pick up the offense. What if Bradford get pummeled and is on the IR again because the O line problems were not given sufficient resources to make them a solid unit?

Dominant teams have dominant lines on both sides of the ball, it is time for the Fisher's regime to put some young guys on the O line who will be there and grow with the rest of this team. Resign Saffold only to play ROG. Hopefully have Jones ready to play at LOG Barnes at C and Matthews and Barksdale at T. When J Long comes back play the best 5.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Rams don't have to give up on any of them. But like any other player or unit on the team if a upgrade can be found then you do it.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If you live in STL you better off buying your seafood and cooking it yourself. Or paying 4 times the price at a good restaurant! Rather cook my own! Off topic, fer sure!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's hard for me to go against BPA, unless the position of need breaks a tie between equally graded players.

While I agree, the oline is priority 1... There are ways to lessen the need for most of the draft spent on it.

If a guy like Watkins is believed to be a stud by the scouts; you take him. Same with Clowney. It's about more than just 2014.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Funny. Yeah for me that's an instant disqualification for the guy. I almost stopped reading right there.

I did continue and agree with him on the Rams related parts.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If a guy like Watkins is believed to be a stud by the scouts; you take him. Same with Clowney. It's about more than just 2014.

What if Bradford doesn't produce in 2014 because he can't get time to throw? Or Stacy has no room to run because the O line can't create any holes? Are we then in need of upgrades to our skill positions?

I understand what you are saying but I have never bought in the the exclusive BPA theory, I mean who really knows who that is going to be???

Everything starts up front fix that first before worrying about additional skill positions. If they can do that before the draft, then by all means lets look for improvement in other areas.