St. Louis Rams' Bargain Guide to 2015 Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2350389-st-louis-rams-bargain-guide-to-2015-offseason

St. Louis Rams' Bargain Guide to 2015 Offseason
By Steven Gerwel, Featured Columnist

Some of the best offseason pickups are not the high-end acquisitions but rather the under-the-radar bargains. That's something the St. Louis Rams must search for this offseason.

The Rams have tried spending big money on flashy names, such as Jake Long, Jared Cook and Cortland Finnegan, but the low-end pickups, like Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Williams Hayes and Kendall Langford, have been just as beneficial, if not more so.

Rather than crippling the team's salary-cap situation, the Rams might be better off searching for cheap veterans who are capable of having a major impact.

This article will highlight five veteran players who might be available for St. Louis this offseason. It's not the most impressive list of names, but all of these players can help the team produce wins.

QB Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles

hi-res-71e6bac5a9b107dec3b3e22b297cddf4_crop_north.jpg

Bob Levey/Getty Images

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback has been pegged as an injury risk, a "system" quarterback and everything in between. He's also a Pro Bowler and an experienced starter.

No matter how you view Foles, it's easy to get on board if the price is right. And that's the key.

Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch recently suggested that the Rams could offer up the No. 10 pick in the draft in exchange for Foles. That's probably too steep for a quarterback who took a step back in 2014, but the idea of acquiring Foles should not be ruled out.

If Philadelphia's Chip Kelly is indeed eyeing his former Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, as Gordon hinted, the Rams can take advantage of that desire and get Foles at a bargain. If the bidding is slim, the Rams could possibly grab Foles by offering a mid-round selection or by swapping picks in the first (the Rams could even recoup their fourth- or sixth-round selection with a swap, since Philadelphia's No. 20 pick is a significant slide).

There's no clear-cut answer for a long-term quarterback this offseason. As a result, the Rams must settle with a promising veteran who can compete against Sam Bradford for the starting job, and that's exactly what they'd get with Foles.

G Willie Colon, New York Jets

hi-res-f9cea417cec1a03a960709df19731977_crop_north.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

After a miserable year with Davin Joseph at guard, Rams fans are a bit skeptical of one-year rentals. The team needs long-term answers on the offensive line, but that doesn't mean adding cheap veteran for depth and competition would be a bad idea.

Willie Colon struggled with run blocking, which will cause concerns for Jeff Fisher, given his run-first mentality. But the Rams also need to keep Bradford upright at all costs, and Colon was quite competent in pass protection this past season.

Pursuing Colon does not necessarily mean the Rams will give up on going after bigger offensive line names in free agency and the draft. They can still pursue those guys, but Colon is capable of being a competent No. 6 man, and he'll likely be a considerable upgrade over Joseph.

DT Tommy Kelly, Arizona Cardinals

hi-res-84de4c03bf2e7da89e1194935cc45da3_crop_north.jpg

Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Defensive tackle Kendall Langford is a likely cap casualty this offseason, which means the Rams will be searching for a new No. 3 to step in and take his place.

Tommy Kelly just turned 34 in December, but he was a starter for the rugged Arizona Cardinals defense this past season. He still has plenty to offer and will be entering free agency.

Rams defensive line coach Mike Waufle coached Kelly while with the Oakland Raiders in 2010 and 2011. Under Waufle, Kelly set a career high with seven sacks in 2010, and he went on to set a new career high with 7.5 sacks the following year.

The connection is there; it's just a matter of whether Arizona will re-sign him. If he does hit the market, he'd be an excellent replacement for Langford.

G Orlando Franklin, Denver Broncos

hi-res-10a45cc1da78debafca0cb7dda3cf447_crop_north.jpg

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

Orlando Franklin looked quite brutal against the St. Louis pass rush when the Denver Broncos played at the Edward Jones Dome this past season. Then again, the Rams defensive line has made better linemen than Franklin appear useless.

Franklin is not the keystone of the Denver offensive line, and his contributions seldom stand out among the many talented players of the Broncos offense. However, he's a four-year starter, and his unit has consistently performed quite well with him in the lineup.

Franklin is not Mike Iupati or Stefen Wisniewski, but he's a legitimate starter capable of upgrading the St. Louis offensive line. He deserves a look this offseason.

WR Kenny Britt, St. Louis Rams

hi-res-0fc7fb2e97fbe94aa87bdcaff71abd81_crop_north.jpg

USA TODAY Sports

There will be no bigger bargain for the Rams this offseason than re-signing Kenny Britt. This is an essential task for the organization this offseason.

Britt's 748 yards in 2014 was an excellent start, but his numbers are still well short of deserving a high-end contract. The Rams should be able to retain him with a multiyear deal that averages $3 to $4 million per year—similar to James Jones, Steve Smith and Hakeem Nicks.

If that's the true number, then retaining Britt would be a no-brainer.

It's possible Britt will decide to explore the market, but that would be rather foolish. He's in the process of reviving his career with the Rams, and a change of scenery could hinder that progress. Not to mention, Fisher's presence will motivate Britt to stay out of trouble and keep his priorities in check.

The Rams have been searching for a true No. 1 receiver since the departure of Torry Holt, and the 2015 version of Britt may finally be the guy the team has been waiting for.

Steven Gerwel is the longest-tenured Rams Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report and serves as the Rams' game-day correspondent. You can find more of Gerwel's work by visiting his writer profile or by following him on Twitter.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would take them all! I like Foles more than most Jim Thomas has squelched the fodder on the Rams and Foles, but I still hold out hope. Always have loved Tommy Kelly and Orlando Franklin would start at LG and add in Center Rodney Hudson from down the road in Kansas City and now the Offensive Line will be a force to be reckoned with regardless if they resign Joe Barksdale or draft Clemmings, Peat or Collins.

fearsomefour

Legend
Tommy Kelly is the first coming of Suh, but, he is a good player who had a very good year in Arizona. I am sure he will stay in Arizona, but, he is a good player.

FRO

Legend
I would take Foles, but at a certain cost. Britt is the only other guy on that list I want.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Even a 2nd round pick for Foles would be too high IMO. Trading that #10 pick for him would be cause to start taking up pitchforks and torches against the Snisher administration.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well one thing in our favor with QB Foles he is completely use to playing behind a pathetic weak OL.

Not sure his body can stand another round by round beatdown like in 2014. I would love to have him in here but it must NOT be at great cost to our draft selections. I would rather trade for this QB with players like Trumaine Johnson or one of our back up DE's Hayes or Sims or RB Zac Stacy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think swapping picks along with a 4th or 5th rounder would be a decent bargain for Foles. No guarantee he would be an answer to our questions, but I'd rather have him than Hill, Davis or most others that would be available. Maybe he could push Bradford harder than the others did.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just don't get the love for Foles. IMO - when we played Philly, he was clearly the second best QB on the field that day. If it were not for those HUGE bailouts via questionable PI calls, those balls (see ducks) are simply up for grabs to anyone within range. We should have had at least three picks that day. In two other games I saw him play in, he just looked plain bad. I know he had the one really good year but I watched tape from even that year and wasn't impressed at all. I think he worked well in Chip's offense but was pretty well exposed last year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Do not want Kelly. He has serious motivation problems.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's probably just me, but with the majority of these guys the writer has us 'Settling' for OK players! I don't like that!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's probably just me, but with the majority of these guys the writer has us 'Settling' for OK players! I don't like that!
The teams that get those pretty good players for decent salaries are the ones who really win at free agency. It's easy to identify the REALLY good guys, but to get them, you have to overpay.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think swapping picks along with a 4th or 5th rounder would be a decent bargain for Foles. No guarantee he would be an answer to our questions, but I'd rather have him than Hill, Davis or most others that would be available. Maybe he could push Bradford harder than the others did.

I think that's too much. They'd have to give us a third and Foles if we swapped firsts. I think Foles is worth a 5th on his own.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
u would have to over pay to get great players to come here. Thats why this abargainguide
I don't see it that way at all. We have overpaid for a few but got others pretty reasonably. I don't think you can peg anyone that would have gone elsewhere for less unless maybe it would be to a perennial playoff team.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't see it that way at all. We have overpaid for a few but got others pretty reasonably. I don't think you can peg anyone that would have gone elsewhere for less unless maybe it would be to a perennial playoff team.
like who?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Off the top of my head Hayes comes to mind. Supposedly Long also was offered more by the Dolphins. Long's injury aside, he was still being courted by other teams.

If I recall it right Jake Long wanted to play with the Fisher's run oriented offense & the Boudreau power blocking scheme vs the Phins Zone Blocking scheme. So he was a good fit here & still is if he were fully healthy & would work cheap.

In free agency 2012 DE William Hayes (who is a serious class act) had went through two straight yrs 2011 & 2010 where he was only healthy enough to start one game. Injured his knee early in 2010 & then his Shoulder in game one of 2011. Hayes had a good yr in 2009 after earning a starting DE position with 4 sacks. So Fisher drafted Hayes & thus a solid connection was there to save Hayes young NFL career. Hayes got both of those injuries fixed in the 2014 off seasons.

So in cases like the above two StLouis was just the right place without having to overpay for those two.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So in cases like the above two StLouis was just the right place without having to overpay for those two.
While this is partially true, the word everywhere I read was that Hayes could have gotten pretty substantially more money at the time if he opted for free agency. Also, it ended up being mostly between the fins and the Rams but that was after it was narrowed down. Those weren't the only two teams interested in Long's services.

lockdnram21

Legend
Off the top of my head Hayes comes to mind. Supposedly Long also was offered more by the Dolphins. Long's injury aside, he was still being courted by other teams.
i said Great players . I wouldnt consider Hayes great hes not even a starter. I also rember faulk saying that great Lt in there primes dont leave there teams. I dont think Miami offered as much as we did

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
i said Great players . I wouldnt consider Hayes great hes not even a starter. I also rember faulk saying that great Lt in there primes dont leave there teams. I dont think Miami offered as much as we did
Not sure then what GREAT FAs you think we are going to lose out on because of our supposed inferior situation. Or for that matter which ones we have previously.