St. Louis Rams: 5 Best Offseason Moves/Baxter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams: 5 Best Offseason Moves
by Russell S. Baxter

http://nflspinzone.com/2015/04/25/st-louis-rams-5-best-offseason-moves/

Talk about symmetry?

This past season, there were 13 teams that lost more games than they won. Of those clubs, 10 rang up double-digit totals in the loss column.

And those 10 franchises make up the teams that will be selecting in the Top 10 of this Thursday’s NFL draft.

We have already previewed 22 teams in a series we call the 5 Best Offseason Moves.

The first of those 10-loss squads is the St. Louis Rams, who have endured quite the drought when it comes to success. Playing in an NFC West that has sent a representative to the Super Bowl three straight years hasn’t helped.

Still, general manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher keep on trying to get this team back on track. How have they done so far this offseason? Let’s take a look.

1. Trading for quarterback Nick Foles

When it’s all said and done, the Rams traded away a quarterback who missed all of 2014 for a signal-caller who missed half of this past season.

Perhaps the biggest question regarding the acquisition of the former Pro Bowler is what to expect. Are we looking at a quarterback that in 2013 threw 27 touchdown passes compared to only two interceptions? Or will Foles have problems hanging onto the football, as evidenced by 13 touchdown passes and 13 turnovers in eight games in 2014?

Jeff Fisher must be hoping that his play falls somewhere in between, although it is interesting to note that Rams quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Austin Davis combined for 20 touchdown passes and just as many turnovers this past season.

2. Trading quarterback Sam Bradford

Obviously there are two sides to the deal that sent the number-one overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft to the City of Brotherly for quarterback Nick Foles – with some draft picks on both sides involved as well.

The bottom line was availability. Bradford started every game as a rookie and in 2012 as well. But his second season was cut short by injuries and after going down near midseason in 2013, he missed the final 25 games that the Rams played.

Hopefully healthy, it was time for a fresh start for the former University of Oklahoma star. And it wound up coming “Sooner” than later.

3. Re-signing wide receiver Kenny Britt

The one-time first-round pick of the Tennessee Titans while Jeff Fisher was still in Nashville put up half-decent numbers with the Rams in his first season in St. Louis.

This past season, Britt finished second on the team with 48 catches but led the club with 748 receiving yards, hence a very-respectable 15.6 yards per grab. He was tied for second on the team with three touchdown receptions.

You would hope that new Rams quarterback Nick Foles would utilize Britt like he did wide receiver Jeremy Maclin in Philadelphia this past season.

4. Signing defensive tackle Nick Fairley

The 6’4”, 298-pound defender should fit in quite well, granted he can elevate his game and once again look like a player that deserved to be selected with the 13th overall selection in 2011.

The Rams’ starting defensive line is made up of a quartet of former first-round picks. Defensive ends Chris Long (2008) and Robert Quinn (2011) and defensive tackles Michael Brockers (2012) and Aaron Donald – the latter the 2014 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year – make up for quite the quartet.

The former University of Auburn goes from being a teammate of Ndamukong Suh to being part of a defensive front with even more combined star power. Hopefully, he takes advantage of the situation a little better this time around.

5. Releasing tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells

The pair of veteran blockers, as well as right tackle Joe Barksdale, remains on the open market as the Rams continue their revamping of their offensive line.

After owning the distinction of being the number-one overall pick in the 2008 draft by the Miami Dolphins and reaching the Pro Bowl in each of his first four seasons in the league, injuries took their toll on Long. His two-year stint in St. Louis totaled just 22 games, including only seven contests in 2014 as rookie Greg Robinson took over at left tackle.

After making 100 starts in eight seasons with the Green Bay Packers, Wells joined the Rams in 2012 but did not manage to start all 16 games until this past year. Tim Barnes, who made four starts in Wells’ absence in 2013, is the heir apparent at center.

SierraRam

Recreational User
1. Trading Sam for Foles and draft picks
2. Resigning Britt & Kendricks for the offense
3. Signing Ayers and Fairley for the defense
4. Releasing Wells and Long. Cutting ties with Davin Joseph

5... Drafting 3 starting caliber OL's in the first 4 rounds.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
1. Trading Sam for Foles and draft picks
2. Resigning Britt & Kendricks for the offense
3. Signing Ayers and Fairley for the defense
4. Releasing Wells and Long. Cutting ties with Davin Joseph

5... Drafting 3 starting caliber OL's in the first 4 rounds.
I really, really hope we don't play three rookies on our line next year, along with a second year player and an oft injured guard in Saffold. That's a recipe for disaster...a disaster of epic proportions

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I really, really hope we don't play three rookies on our line next year, along with a second year player and an oft injured guard in Saffold. That's a recipe for disaster...a disaster of epic proportions

I hear this a lot and not sure I agree with the concern. If we have to start a couple of rookies can the play really drop off that much?

It not like our line has been The Rock of Gibraltar. We've been plugging in a mashup of players for years.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I hear this a lot and not sure I agree with the concern. If we have to start a couple of rookies can the play really drop off that much?

It not like our line has been The Rock of Gibraltar. We've been plugging in a mashup of players for years.
Don't get me wrong I think just about any rookie could replace the production from Davin Joseph. But more than one rookie and your asking for trouble. Heck Robinson didn't fare that well and he's one of the most athletically talented linemen in the NFL

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Jacksonville last year had the youngest line in the league, they started Luke Joekel at LT (5 previous starts, got injured @ Rams in 2013), 4 year veteran Zane Beadles at LG, rookie (6th round) Luke Bowanko at C, rookie (3rd round) Brandon Linder at RG, then a combination of 2 year veteran Austin Pasztor (15 previous starts, 8 in 2014) and Sam Young (4 previous starts, 6 in 2014) it was good for the 18th best OL according to PFF.

Just a useless piece of information :D.

SierraRam

Recreational User

I would like to see us get 3 solid rookies. Whether or not they start is up to Fisher. We need starters and depth. I've been a proponent of resigning Barksdale and giving Jones/Rhaney a shot a Center while our youngsters mature. Barksdale would be a fine swing Tackle. But as @CGI_Ram pointed out, the OL bar hasn't been set very high! And if we get the right guys (Scherf, Erving, Cann...) they will be fine on day one.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
1. Trading Bradford for Foles and two picks. (Trust me: that 2016 second is going to be a very good pick.)
2. Releasing Jake Long and Scott Wells. (Cutting dead weight and saving cap room. What's not to like?)
3. Re-signing Kenny Britt. (Signing our best receiver to a team-friendly contract? Sign me up for that.)
4. Re-signing Lance Kendricks. (With Kendricks in the fold, we can ignore tight end for now.)
5. Signing Garrett Reynolds. (Without him, we wouldn't have any depth.)

iced

Don't get me wrong I think just about any rookie could replace the production from Davin Joseph. But more than one rookie and your asking for trouble. Heck Robinson didn't fare that well and he's one of the most athletically talented linemen in the NFL

I'm thinkin barrett Jones at center - the biggest issue with scott wells was just getting physically beat..i would hope a young rook would be stronger compared to wells at his age

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
1. Getting a new OC, althouhgh they had nothing to do Shoot leaving it was still the best move.
2. Resigning K Britt
3. Dumping Long and Wells.
4. Signing Failey

Worst
1. Not signing at least one top OL player.
2. Not replacing the OC until forced too.
3. Resigning Kendricks to a contract that could have been used to sign an OL.