St. Louis' newest acquisitions invade Rams Park for rookie minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis' newest acquisitions invade Rams Park for rookie minicamp
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...-make-an-impression-and-get-acclimated-050815

ST. LOUIS -- On Friday, 26 guys showed up for their first day of work at Rams Park.

The Rams' 2015 draft class and rookie free agents fanned out over the indoor football field at the team's practice facility, receiving instructions from coaches, executing drills and trying to prove they belonged on an NFL field.

"It's kinda the same feeling as your first practice in college -- you want to make a good impression," said Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion, who was drafted 89th overall last weekend. "So maybe the first couple routes, I was throwing it a little harder than I really needed to. But it wasn't nervous. It's fun to be out here, and back practicing."

More than one rookie spent the week between last weekend's draft and Friday's workout prepping physically for the challenge. Linebacker Bryce Hager, one of two defensive players selected in the seventh round by St. Louis, tried to fit in a couple hours of conditioning and light lifting each day, with the goal of staying flexible and in shape.

"It's a lot of running out here," he said of the workouts, as the St. Louis humidity hung in the air. Fortunately, the city's elevated temperature didn't floor him -- he played both college and high school ball in the Lone Star State.

"(I'm) used to the heat," he said.

Missouri wide receiver Bud Sasser, who didn't participate fully in the drills due to a pending physical, resumed his normal workouts the day after getting a call from the Rams. He worked out a couple times in the Dallas area with quarterback Bryce Petty, who was drafted by the New York Jets in the fourth round.

"We got some good work in," Sasser said of their practices together, though he added the two didn't really exchange tips other than a "best of luck" here and there.

Since arriving in St. Louis, the rookies haven't had much time to explore their new city, but Mannion says he's looking forward to it -- and he already has an inside connection.

"That's what's exciting, too, is you're moving into a new place, you want to kind of check it out," he said. "I know (what's) really nice for me is having (punter) Johnny Hekker here. We were teammates in college. Every person I talk to around the building just talks about Johnny non-stop, so hopefully he can show me the ropes when we have a little bit of time off."

For those who don't have a Hekker to guide them, Sasser might prove a good alternative. While at Mizzou, he'd make occasional trips to the city and has already participated in one of its biggest traditions: attending Cardinals games. He admitted, however, he doesn't have a favorite Cards player -- yet.

"I'll have to find one," he said.

Gurley dresses, does not participate

• The Rams' first-round draft pick, Todd Gurley, was at Rams Park Friday, but did not participate fully in the drills as he continues rehabbing from a torn ACL.

"I would want to be back as soon as possible, but I'm not a doctor or a therapist, so I can't really tell you when I'll be back," Gurley said. "I'm just taking it day by day."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gurley, Rams Rookies Begin Orientation

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Gurley-Rams-Rookies-Begin-Orientation/4f4f677c-a6e3-48fd-9483-b51ae6827016

The new running back is in the building.

Along with his 23 fellow rookies and two tryout players, Todd Gurley, the No. 10 overall selection in the 2015 draft, was in attendance and on the field for the Rams’ first day of rookie orientation.

Though he’s limited while in recovery from his season-ending ACL tear last November, Gurley said it was still special to put on the horns for the first time.

“Oh it felt good,” Gurley said. “It felt real good, just to get the jersey, the helmet, the gloves. It’s been a while, so it definitely felt good just to be able to do that.”

Right now, though, there isn’t much else he is physically cleared to do. He did participate in some of the walk-thru portions of practice. Keeping in mind that it’s his first day at Rams Park, Gurley said that he’ll be getting on top of the next steps in his rehab very soon. He added that he’s been able to run for the past two months, and has been doing certain running back drills -- like the ladder -- during the process.

But as for a timetable, the running back said that’s not up to him.

“I’d like to be back as soon as possible, but I’m not a doctor or a therapist, so I can’t really tell you when I’ll be back,” Gurley said. “I’m just taking it day-by-day really.”

Head coach Jeff Fisher has previously stated that the team will likely be conservative in the way it eases Gurley back. And as for right now, Gurley says he still has plenty to do mentally when the offense is practicing.

“I can still go through the plays in the back by myself, so that’s always a good thing,” Gurley said, adding that it’s not a boring exercise. “It’s not like I know everything. I don’t know anything, really. So I’m trying to keep my mind busy.”

And once he’s full go, Gurley said that it’s definitely a dream of his to be a bell cow-type back. Many stated throughout the draft process that the No. 10 selection has that kind of potential, and he wants to live up to it.

“Everybody wants to be that three-down back, to be able to stay on the field the majority of the snaps,” Gurley said. “I definitely believe in it, and that’s what I’m working hard to come back and try to be.”

Gurley added that he feels some personal pride in being the first running back taken in the first round since 2012.

“And then Melvin [Gordon] went after me,” Gurley said. “It’s just good. And it’ll make everybody else --running backs around the world -- feel good. We didn’t disappear.”

Perhaps the most notable player to campaign for the bell cow back is former Rams RB Steven Jackson, who founded SaveTheRunningBack.org. While the video has its satirical qualities, Gurley is well aware of Jackson’s history when it comes to the Rams franchise.

That was clear when Gurley was explaining his decision to wear No. 30.

“There really aren’t too many numbers available. There’s 39, which is SJ’s number. I’m definitely not going to touch that,” Gurley said. “I respect him. I wouldn’t do that.”

Gurley and the Rams will have their second rookie session on Saturday.

RamBill

Legend
Gurley dresses for Rams rookie minicamp
From AP

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...itzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnfl-topstories

ST. LOUIS (AP) — As a fan of running back Steven Jackson, Todd Gurley passed on the opportunity to wear No. 39 with the St. Louis Rams.

Instead, he settled on No. 30. He wore the jersey for the first time Friday as he took part in the rookie minicamp at Rams Park.

"There's not too many numbers available," Gurley said about how he made his decision. "There was 39, but that was SJ's number. I'm definitely not going to touch that. I've looked at a lot of running backs in the NFL. SJ had multiple 1,000-yard seasons with the Rams and that's pretty cool."

The 6-foot-1, 222-pound Gurley did not do any running on the first day of the two-day minicamp. Gurley is rehabbing an injured left knee.

The Rams hope Gurley may be the next Jackson, who put together eight consecutive 1,000-yard seasons with St. Louis. The Rams grabbed with the 10th overall pick in the 2015 draft, the first running back taken that high since 2012.

"It's a good feeling from a personal pride standpoint," Gurley said about his draft position. "Knowing they went after me, it's good. It makes every running back around the world just feel good that we didn't disappear."

The club knows it likely will have to wait for Gurley to heal before he suits up in a game. Gurley tore his ACL during last year's game with Auburn on Nov. 15 while playing for Georgia.

He's doing what he can in the minicamp.

"I'm getting the mental reps so I know what's going on," Gurley said. "I'm listening to the play calls. I can still go through the plays by myself. I'm in the back trying to make sure I'm on my stuff.

"It's not like I know everything. I know nothing really. I'm keeping my mind busy."

Just getting dressed and putting on a Rams helmet and jersey made Gurley's day.

"It felt real good," Gurley said. "It's been a while."

Gurley finished his junior season with 911 rushing yards and nine touchdowns.

In 2014, Gurley started first five games before being suspended for four games for violating NCAA rules when he accepted $3,000 for signing memorabilia over a two-year span.

In his career at Georgia, Gurley rushed for 3,285 yards. He also had 615 yards receiving on 65 receptions. In 30 games, Gurley scored 44 touchdowns to rank second for the Bulldogs. Herschel Walker is No. 1 with 52.

St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher likes the running game. The Rams have drafted five running backs in the four years since Fisher arrived in St. Louis.

It is anticipated that Gurley will be the centerpiece of the offense.

"We have a good group," Fisher said after drafting Gurley. "We really like our group in the room, but this was an opportunity that we could not pass up."

Gurley knows the Rams like to run the ball and he wants to be a part of that. He will be competing with Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead and Trey Watts for playing time once he is healthy.

He knows what he is working to be.

"It's definitely a dream to be a three-down back and to stay out on the field for the majority of the snaps," Gurley said. "That's why I'm working hard to come back."

It's uncertain when Gurley will be available to play.

"I want to be back as soon as possible but I'm not a doctor or a therapist," Gurley said. "I can't really tell you when I'll be back. I take it day by day really. I'm not a trainer bro. I just do what they tell me."

NOTES: The only quarterback in camp is Oregon State's Sean Mannion, who was taken in the third round. "The level of detail here is so much higher," Mannion said. "It was so cool to put this helmet with the horns on it. Putting it on, it hit me that I'm a pro." ... Tackle Rob Havenstein, taken in the second round out of Wisconsin, was happy to be practicing. "This is the dream and we get a chance to make it a reality," Havenstein said. "I'm looking forward to learning." ... All the rookies practiced indoors for almost two hours because of rain.

RamBill

Legend
Long snapper Ott hopes to hook on with Rams
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_494e3026-8506-5445-baec-c3e875faca8a.html

For the other 25 players involved in rookie orientation Friday and Saturday at Rams Park, this is all new. It’s the first day of what they hope will become a long and rewarding NFL career.

But things are a little different for long snapper Tyler Ott.

First off, the 23-year-old from Tulsa, Okla., is here for a tryout. Most of the other players are recent draft choices or were signed as undrafted free agents.

“As of right now, I’m day to day,’’ Ott said. “Obviously, I’m hoping to get a contract and stay for a while. I’ve got today and tomorrow. ... I’m just trying to do the best I can to make it happen.

“I’m in a specialized skill position, so every day, I’m working to get better, honing the skill.’’

This is Ott’s second go-round in the NFL. Signed by New England as an undrafted free agent out of Harvard a year ago, he worked through OTAs and training camp with the Patriots before being cut prior to the start of the 2014 season.

He re-signed with New England on March 4 and was released Tuesday, a few days after the Patriots selected Navy long snapper Joe Cardona in the fifth round of last weekend’s draft.

“They did what they had to do, the Rams called and I’m here, trying to make the most of the opportunity,’’ said Ott, an economics major who stands 6 feet 3 and weighs 252 pounds. “I love it here. I love the attitude, the mentality and the team morale.’’

Ott said the time he spent with the Patriots has helped him avoid “that deer-in-the-headlights feeling.’’

“Great experience with the Pats; I learned a ton there,’’ he said. “You know what resources are available, what you can take advantage of — training staff, nutritionist and meals. That helps you get physically and mentally prepared so that you can focus more on the fine-detail stuff.’’

Born and raised in Oklahoma, Ott was introduced to long snapping by pee wee football coach David Alexander, who played 10 years as an offensive lineman in the NFL with the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles. A three-sport athlete at Tulsa prep powerhouse Jenks High, Ott was recruited to play tight end at Harvard. There, he spent four years as the primary long snapper for the Crimson. As a senior, he also started at tight end and earned a trip to the Senior Bowl after making 15 catches for 188 yards and four touchdowns.

Any chance he could help at tight end here?

“Not officially, but I wouldn’t mind jumping in,” he kidded. “Back to the glory days, scoring touchdowns.’’

ROOKIE NUMBERS

Following is a rundown of uniform numbers assigned to the Rams’ 2015 draft class: running back Todd Gurley (No. 30), tackle Rob Havenstein (79), guard Jamon Brown (68), quarterback Sean Mannion (14), tackle Andrew Donnal (64), wide receiver Bud Sasser (81), guard Cody Wichmann (69), linebacker Bryce Hager (54) and defensive end Martin Ifedi (96).

In related moves, wideout Kenny Britt has switched to No. 18 and tackle Greg Robinson, the team’s top draft pick in 2014, has taken No. 73, his number as a college player at Auburn University.

RAM-BLINGS

• Twenty-six players took part Friday in the first of two days of rookie orientation at Rams Park in Earth City. The players will remain in town for conditioning work until the start of organized team activities in early June.

Late additions to the list of undrafted free agents were Montell Garner, a 5-foot-11, 188-pound cornerback from South Alabama, and 6-2, 260-pound linebacker Keshawn Malone from Bacone (Okla.) College.

• As expected, running back Todd Gurley watched but did not participate in Friday’s workout. The tenth overall pick in last weekend’s draft, Gurley will be brought along slowly by the Rams after undergoing ACL surgery in November.

Wide receiver Bud Sasser, a sixth-round pick out of Mizzou, also sat out as he awaited results of his physical.

• Rams punter Johnny Hekker had a hole-in-one and won a car Friday at golf tournament benefiting families battling cancer.

• Former Virginia Tech linebacker and team captain Chase Williams, the son of Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, is getting a tryout this weekend with the New York Jets. In nine starts as a senior last fall, he had 72 tackles, including nine for loss, and 3½ sacks.

RamBill

Legend
War hero has Rams tryout
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a67faff5-af20-5031-a01d-f73edc81e9c2.html

You can debate whether the smallest player on the practice field Friday has the biggest heart. But this cannot be disputed: Former Clemson wide receiver Daniel Rodriguez, 5-8, 180, was the only one at Rams Park with a Purple Heart.

Rodriguez, 27, was in the Army from 2006-10, reaching the rank of sergeant and serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. At the battle of Kamdesh in Afghanistan on Oct. 3, 2009, 300 Taliban insurgents battled with 38 U.S. soldiers. Eight Americans lost their lives, and Rodriguez was one of 22 Americans wounded.

He took a bullet to the shoulder and shrapnel in his legs and neck from a rocket-propelled grenade. The leg wounds slowed him down for a while.

“Until I got all the shrapnel out,” Rodriguez said after Friday’s rookie minicamp practice. “Whatever. I have friends without legs, so I don’t really complain much.”

He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his valor, and then ... he decided to give college football a try.

Originally a walk-on, Rodriguez spent four seasons at Clemson, playing mainly on special teams. In 39 career games, he had one start from scrimmage, 11 catches for 39 yards and a touchdown, a 5-yard carry, and six punt returns for 57 yards.

Modest stats to be sure, but he did get an invitation to one of the college all-star games, the Medal of Honor Bowl on Jan. 10 in Charleston, S.C. Rodriguez remembers talking to some Rams scouts during the practice week there, and then last Sunday the Rams called and said they were inviting him to this weekend’s rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

“It’s pretty surreal,” Rodriguez said. “You kind of hope for an opportunity as a kid to say you got a chance to play in the NFL. For me it’s no different, coming back for more (after his time in the Army) and having the opportunity to play Division I football. I just felt, why give up there? So I just kept working.”

Since he’s here on a tryout basis only, Rodriguez basically has three days to make enough of an impression to get signed to the 90-man offseason roster. The Rams currently have 88 players either signed or drafted.

So there are a couple of spots open, and Rodriguez and Harvard long snapper Tyler Ott are the only players here on a tryout basis this weekend.

Rodriguez is under pressure to get noticed. Certainly not the kind of pressure faced when getting attacked by Taliban insurgents. But pressure nonetheless.

“For me, that’s how it’s been,” he said with a shrug. “I was a walk-on at Clemson. And I had to show out at camp just to make the ... roster. And it’s no different here. Obviously, this is a top-caliber paid environment with freaks of nature.

“But you know, I feel that I can compete and I’ve worked my (butt) off to get to where I’m at. Even if it’s a three-day trial and they say ‘thank you for coming,’ I can’t say anything but ‘thank you’ back. Because this is all I’ve ever wanted — this is a chance to try to do it.”

It seems safe to say that Rodriguez has an ally of sorts in Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who has been very active in the Wounded Warrior Project.

Fisher visited troops in the Persian Gulf in 2009 and climbed Mount Kilimanjaro during his year off from coaching (2011) to raise funds and awareness for Wounded Warriors. Every year at the end of training camp, the Rams have a light practice with service men and service women at Scott Air Force Base.

Rodriguez was vaguely aware of Fisher’s involvement in Wounded Warriors before getting the call from the Rams. He’s since looked into it.

“I’m just so very appreciative from my standpoint of being a wounded veteran and having friends that are part of the Wounded Warrior program,” Rodriguez said. “I think that’s awesome of him. To be in his position and to give back means a lot to me.”

But Rodriguez knows his tryout isn’t some kind of gimmick. He’ll have to earn an offseason roster spot from Fisher to make it to training camp.

“I don’t want to say that it’s an all feel-good story,” he said. “I like to think that me training in the offseason, and getting into EXOS (performance center), and doing the full-time grind, and going to my pro day and putting up the numbers that I did, gave me an advantage.

“But whatever gets your foot in the door is what can solidify where you go in your future. If it doesn’t work out, at least I know I came out here and competed with the best of ’em, and made the most of the run that I had.”

If it doesn’t work out, Rodriguez already has a very good start on life after football.

His autobiography “Rise: A Soldier, A Dream, and a Promise Kept” reached best-seller status. His story has been told all over television, radio, and the cable networks. Sony TriStar Entertainment purchased the book rights and plans a movie on Rodriguez’s life.

Rodriguez has moved to Los Angeles, where he’s already working as a consultant on the movie projejct, and has been on the public speaking circuit as well. While in LA, he did his pre-draft training at the EXOS athletic training center there.

That training helped those legs that once contained shrapnel run a 4.58 in the 40 at Clemson’s pro day. He also caught everything thrown his way that day.

But he didn’t return to football to draw attention to himself. He was almost reluctant at times Friday to talk about his time in the military. Of the 25 other Rams rookies on hand for the weekend minicamp, only Georgia Tech fullback Zach Laskey knew who he was.

(Georgia Tech and Clemson are rivals in football.)

At Rams Park this weekend, and as long as this opportunity lasts, Rodriguez says, “I just want to be another football player.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ok, we have the New Draftee's Jersey #'s, does anyone have the Jersey #'s for the New UDFA's!?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why is his physical so late and the results taking so long?

It has me somewhat concerned I hope everything is okay. The Doctor's might have found something they saw and sent it out for further testing just to make sure.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It has me somewhat concerned I hope everything is okay. The Doctor's might have found something they saw and sent it out for further testing just to make sure.
Yeah .. when I read that I was wondering what is up ... he was at the combine, no?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Only one QB in camp.....guess they want his undivided attention...

For this mini-camp it's okay, OTA's will include the vets and you always want usually 4 QB's during training camp so the arms don't fall off.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah .. when I read that I was wondering what is up ... he was at the combine, no?

Yep so we'll have to keep up to speed, it could be they just wanted to run an additional test, but again hopefully, he'll be cleared.