St.Louis Fans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
At least we had a Valentine type year this year. That should make you feel better lol. Like my Rams I can look forward to a high draft pick, as a matter of fact we pick higher than the Rays! That is how bad we sucked this year lol

Yea it did make me feel a Lil better, though not much since you won the damn world series last year lol. I'm still bitter over losing Price. Guess there is always next year.......now where have I heard that before...:whistle:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think STL is going through what Boston went through 20 years ago. The Rams have been in STL for just under 20 years. Much more losing than winning.

The Patriots were an after thought and because of blackouts they were never on TV. Giant fans ruled the area as well as Cowboy, Steelers and Niners. Things changed when Parcells came and then the Patriots took over the region after they cheated, I'm sorry won.

Point is there are probably thousands of great football fans in the area, but the old timers probably root for Arizona. Rams started bringing in new fans 20 years ago. Once the Rams start winning all the local Chief or Cowboy fans or pick the team will suddenly be Ram fans.

It's funny I see kids I grew up with that I have not seen in 20 years and all they want to talk about is the Pats. I'm always like what happened to the steelers. You wore all there garb through high school.

Every city is a football city, but if your team sucks and your baseball team is great and been around for 70 years you will be labeled a baseball town.

Boston was a baseball town for 100 years, it's no longer. If it can happen here it can happen in St Louis

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yea it did make me feel a Lil better, though not much since you won the damn world series last year lol. I'm still bitter over losing Price. Guess there is always next year.......now where have I heard that before...:whistle:

As a baseball fan I hated seeing you lose Price. You still have some great arms with Cobb and Archer and I'm sure I missing one or two more

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I've never seen that, the most my Cardinals fan or Blues fan friends tell me is sorry and that they hope the Rams come around even if they don't actively root for them, but that might have to do with most of the fans I have are from STL. Remember a lot of Cards fans aren't necessarily from Missouri, as they've pretty much engulfed all the surrounding states that have no baseball team.

Regardless, who cares? Brats will be brats, who gives a damn what they have to say. Don't let it color your perception of a whole town.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Baseball is boring and slow. How they dont jump for joy after seeing a DT slam a RB is beyond me.
Only those who don't truly follow and understand the game of baseball says this. If you don't really know what you're looking at, then yeah it's boring and slow. And to the person who says all of the games don't count, they absolutely do. The Cardinals won their division by 2 games this year. TWO games. That means it would have taken as little as 3 games for them to lose the division.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I would also think that most Cards fans talking crap about the Rams are most likely fans from other cities.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They aren't. The ones I see are from right here

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Only those who don't truly follow and understand the game of baseball says this. If you don't really know what you're looking at, then yeah it's boring and slow. And to the person who says all of the games don't count, they absolutely do. The Cardinals won their division by 2 games this year. TWO games. That means it would have taken as little as 3 games for them to lose the division.

I understand the game really well.

A girl's softball game is way faster pace and way better to watch. That was funner than watching the pitch step off the mound, the batter stepping out to scratch his balls, the catcher farted and has go talk to the pitcher to get away from it, the batter steps away and walks half way to first because he knows what the catcher did.

The game sucks, man. It use to have some real grit to it 20 years ago or more. Now they just stink.

I will admit, though. I followed the Cards super close a few years ago when they won it all with Freeze and back when Waino was the closer. I loved those teams.

I think it all died for me when they lose some guys I loved over the last 5 years. First Pujols, then Berkman, Beltran, and now Freeze isn't even a Card.

There's not much for me to care about. Holiday and Adams just don't do it for me. I like Carp, but I don't really care. I keep up with it but almost never watch it. It is boring, now. Recent developement, I suppose.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I love my rams, cardinals, and blues almost equally! The football season is much more exciting but you cant beat playoff baseball and hockey.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I hate it every time someone uses the Cardinals as an excuse to dismiss the Rams in St. Louis. The fact is that baseball is a painfully lopsided and unfair sport. When some teams pay out more to one player than another teams entire roster, it discredits so much of the accomplishments unless you are the lesser team.

Don't tell me to respect the Cardinals for winning with an enormous advantage. Respect the Royals who have overcome an incredible handicap after 29 disprivileged years. To me, they give meaning to an otherwise bland league, proving that an underdog can rise to the heights of the heavyweights and beat them senseless.

I am thankful that football holds the salary cap standard that it does so that I can feel justified pride when the Rams achieve greatness. Being a true fan is understanding that it's not all reward but that's what makes the prize so sweet when it is finally gained. If you overlook the Rams for losing and shift your allegiance only to franchises that have an upper hand or are reaping benefits in that moment, then you can only call yourself a fair weather or band wagon "fan".

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Since moving to this area I have noticed that pretty much no women I have talked to are Rams fans. Being a single guy I have been talking to various women. They are always Cards and Blues fans but rarely even care about the Rams. Somehow they're all Packers, Saints, Steelers, Patiots, Colts, Broncos fans; teams that have been good for most of these last ten years the Rams have not been good. I have a sneaking suspicion that if the Rams were good then they would all of a sudden be "fans" of them. Seeing things like this reallty makes me question the real loyalty of a lot of women sports fans. Not saying men don't do this. But being a single guy here I've noticed this with almost every single woman I've talked to lol. I am going to equally support the Rams, Cards, Blues, Mizzou forever despite how long they are good or bad. Any other single guys on here notice the same thing?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Baseball is boring and slow. How they dont jump for joy after seeing a DT slam a RB is beyond me.
It is until you begin to appreciate the drama of each pitch,then each pitch can be as dramatic as a down of football ,I'm not into it that far but I do appreciate the battle between the batter and pitcher far more now than I use to.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Since moving to this area I have noticed that pretty much no women I have talked to are Rams fans. Being a single guy I have been talking to various women. They are always Cards and Blues fans but rarely even care about the Rams. Somehow they're all Packers, Saints, Steelers, Patiots, Colts, Broncos fans; teams that have been good for most of these last ten years the Rams have not been good. I have a sneaking suspicion that if the Rams were good then they would all of a sudden be "fans" of them. Seeing things like this reallty makes me question the real loyalty of a lot of women sports fans. Not saying men don't do this. But being a single guy here I've noticed this with almost every single woman I've talked to lol. I am going to equally support the Rams, Cards, Blues, Mizzou forever despite how long they are good or bad. Any other single guys on here notice the same thing?
That's why they should have drafted Jimmy Garopolo:rolleyes:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't wait til the year the Rams turn the corner, "fans" will come out of the woodwork. This is definitely a baseball town, and I hate it. I can't watch baseball, I don't know enough about it to appreciate it. I like going to the games but on TV? Nope.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I can't wait til the year the Rams turn the corner, "fans" will come out of the woodwork. This is definitely a baseball town, and I hate it. I can't watch baseball, I don't know enough about it to appreciate it. I like going to the games but on TV? Nope.
No Juggs with all due respect ,St Louis is a town that appreciates good sports, I went to college with all sorts of St Louis guys ,they loved the Blues as much as they did the Cardinals ,if you subtract the Cardinal fans from So IL ,Se MO, Western KY, Ark. Tenn. from the Cardinal fan base EVEN with the Cardinal excellence there isn't all that much of a bulge the Cardinals have in the metro over the Rams . Winning AS YOU say is the difference .

I rarely go to games anymore (am tomorrow) for one reason ,the long drive home after a loss ,losing sucks but driving home afterwards extends the pain and you sit there thinking ,shit if I was home I could be watching another game , I'm wasting my Sunday Ticket

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I hate it every time someone uses the Cardinals as an excuse to dismiss the Rams in St. Louis. The fact is that baseball is a painfully lopsided and unfair sport. When some teams pay out more to one player than another teams entire roster, it discredits so much of the accomplishments unless you are the lesser team.

Don't tell me to respect the Cardinals for winning with an enormous advantage. Respect the Royals who have overcome an incredible handicap after 29 disprivileged years. To me, they give meaning to an otherwise bland league, proving that an underdog can rise to the heights of the heavyweights and beat them senseless.

I am thankful that football holds the salary cap standard that it does so that I can feel justified pride when the Rams achieve greatness. Being a true fan is understanding that it's not all reward but that's what makes the prize so sweet when it is finally gained. If you overlook the Rams for losing and shift your allegiance only to franchises that have an upper hand or are reaping benefits in that moment, then you can only call yourself a fair weather or band wagon "fan".
Just curious, what "enormous advantage" do the Cardinals have? That they drew over 3.5M fans to their ball park this year? Or that the organization consistently puts a competitive team on the field? That they can let the best player in the game walk, because they refuse to get stuck with overpaying a ridiculous contract, only to make it to the league championship series in each of the 3 seasons since they let him go?

Their payroll is a modest 13th in MLB, and their tv revenue is no where close to the top tier in the game, yet they have played in and won more playoff games in the past 5 years than any team in their sport. Is that the "enormous advantage" you speak of? Or is it something different?

And why do you seem to think that fans "overlook the Rams for losing and SHIFT their allegiance" to only the winning franchises? Just because they root hard for the teams (Cardinals and Blues) who have demonstrated consistently competitive teams doesn't mean they have shifted allegiance. It means they would rather support (financially and emotionally) teams that give them a return on that investment. And please don't think this is isolated to the STL market. It's the nature of sports and the sports fan. IMO it has nothing to do with being a fair weather fan.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I meant that the overall importance of 1 game out of 162 isn't as important as 1 out of 16 from a ticket buying perspective. I understand that they all count, obviously. And, I do understand what goes on the field. I simply don't think watching a baseball team lose 3 in a row is in any way comparable to watching a football team lose 3 in a row, so there's much more edge of your seat type entertainment to a home football game. You get only a single home game per year for a bitter rival. You lose, you wait a year. Lose to the Cubs on Monday, well there's always Tuesday. That's what I meant, not that the games don't count. And this is just my way of looking at it, not a criticism of any fan or even the game.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I've always gotten a lot of crap because I support the Rams and the Royals. They always wondered why I don't support either the Chiefs or the Cards, but to be honest I always loved both because my father loves both ever since he was a kid. Finally the Royals are good enough that I don't have to hear all that crap but it sure would be nice if the Rams could pick up the slack.

oh well...
GO RAMS!!
GO ROYALS!!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Just curious, what "enormous advantage" do the Cardinals have? That they drew over 3.5M fans to their ball park this year? Or that the organization consistently puts a competitive team on the field? That they can let the best player in the game walk, because they refuse to get stuck with overpaying a ridiculous contract, only to make it to the league championship series in each of the 3 seasons since they let him go?

Their payroll is a modest 13th in MLB, and their tv revenue is no where close to the top tier in the game, yet they have played in and won more playoff games in the past 5 years than any team in their sport. Is that the "enormous advantage" you speak of? Or is it something different?

And why do you seem to think that fans "overlook the Rams for losing and SHIFT their allegiance" to only the winning franchises? Just because they root hard for the teams (Cardinals and Blues) who have demonstrated consistently competitive teams doesn't mean they have shifted allegiance. It means they would rather support (financially and emotionally) teams that give them a return on that investment. And please don't think this is isolated to the STL market. It's the nature of sports and the sports fan. IMO it has nothing to do with being a fair weather fan.

I'm saying it aggravates me deeply when the comparison is drawn between the Cardinals and Rams. I will admit, the Cardinals have done very well for themselves but they do have an enormous advantage. Yes, they were 13th this year in total team payroll but that is a highly misleading figure when taken alone. Some teams listed above the Cardinals in salary spending only payed out less than 1% more. Now looking back over the past 30 years, the Cardinals have been consistently in the top 10 with their salary spendings.

However, this doesn't explain completely why the Cardinals have done so well. Looking at the National League Central division, the Cardinals have almost always paid more than the Pirates, Reds, Brewers, and Cubs so it should be noted that they have an advantage to make the playoffs every year. The Reds did have the higher salary this year (by less than 1%) but the Cardinals gain the advantage in one of the best, more highly paid coaching staffs in the MLB.

Now let's add the fact that the Cardinals play in the National league. The majority of the top 10 most highly paid teams are in the American league (this includes 4 of the top 6). Therefore, the Cardinals have to play these teams less often and are not competing with any of them for a playoff spot unless they fall in their own division. When the playoffs come around, some of these top teams who share a division are forced into a deadly one game wild card playoff matchup. Once you examine all this, you find that the Nationals and the Cardinals have the easiest paths to the World Series.

Say what you will about baseball but it is plainly unfair. The Yankees have paid the most in net salary in MLB history and they have won 27 times. Teams like the Padres, Rockies, Brewers, Astros, Rays, and Mariners (all lower paid teams) have never won. Obviously salary is a huge factor.