Spygate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Could someone give a basic breakdown for someone who knows next to nothing about it?

I know that it involves the Patriots filming opposing team signals but what exactly were the rules, how did they break them and what advantage was gained?

Try and keep to the facts, and if you could try and avoid big words also.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Some argue that little to no advantage would come from what they filmed (Dick Vermiel for instance has stated this....and while I respect him he is an old school coach that tends to go with the good ole boys club that doesn't turn on each other). That said if it held no "real" advantage why do it...why do it multiple times...why do it in secret? These teams have limited time and resources for preparing for games, you do not add in activity that does not benefit you...you do not repeatedly do said activity....

also note that it is two types of taping:
1) filming signals during a game from the stands/sidelines
2) filming closed practices/runthroughs of other teams

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Check out this Wiki on Spygate. It will give you a basic explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_England_Patriots_videotaping_controversy

"Videotaping opposing coaches is not illegal in the NFL but there are designated areas allowed by the league to do such taping."

So what's the big deal? If you're allowed to film opposing coaches, why does it matter where in the stadium you are?

Is filming practices banned outright? Or is it the same deal as filming games?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Seriously...if all they filmed was signals and practices, why destroy the film evidence? Huh Rodger? Marshall Faulk claimed that certain plays, never before used, were anticipated by the Patriots in the super bowl. Yet Bill Belichick is supposed to be some defensive wizard. Trust me, they only were caught once...I'd still say they've committed this crime (and others) numerous times...Bill was a losing coach in Cleveland...a habitual loser...with pretty good QBs....what changed?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
My favorite thing about Spygate and to me is the real untold story. Why did Matt Walsh he sign a confidentiality agreement when he was fired. Was he paid a ton of money to keep his mouth shut? Now will NcNally be fired and paid off not to write a book about deflate gate? Clearly there were facts to be hidden in Spygate and why Walsh was IMO paid to shut up.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013...-think-this-is-a-cover-up-you-just-cant-read/

“Spygate” Author: If You Don’t Think This Is A Cover-Up, You Just Can’t Read

"Patriots were covering the Vegas spread 64% of the time. That's the smoking gun that shows they were cheating"

Audio of Interview (click on above link if audio isn't available)
[av]http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/bryan-oleary-1-25.mp3[/av]

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Another interview with the Author

Wells came out after the report and said "that he has more than enough evidence to convict Brady in a Court of Law"

Tonight I am proud to welcome SpyGate Author Bryan O'Leary to the Sports Talk Nation as we discuss not only his book "Spygate: The Untold Story," but I will get his take and analysis of the Ted Wells' report that has uncovered another New England Patriots centered scandal. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is at the center of Deflategate, and could face a severe punishment from the NFL as soon as this week. We will talk about the latest

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/openmi...te-interview-with-spygate-author-bryan-oleary

Last edited:

rams2050

Starter
Pats have been cheating for a very long time, and in numerous and inventive ways. Not written admiringly, either, but you simply have to read the book -- and Warren Sharp's website (www.sharpreport.com/) to get an idea of all of the monkey business that these jemokes have been up to through the years. Dynasty, my ass; Cheatiocracy is more like it.

When one team can win at home at the rate that the Patriots win at home -- which is way outside the bounds of statistical probability -- then, there is something rotten in Foxboro OTHER than Ernie Adams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Two big big points for me are:

1 Faulk said that the Rams had installed a few new redzone plays that they had not run all season long. Martz put them in especially for the Superbowl. Faulk said that when they lined up to snap the ball that the Patriots were calling out the play to each other. They knew what the new plays were! That was from Walsh filming the walk through.

2. Look up Ernie Adams. He has a photographic memory and is Belichecks friend. Bill puts him to use in all of his cheating schemes. Filming signals is much more effective if you have a guy with a microphone that goes directly to Tom Brady's helmet and can be used right up to the snap. Adams knows all of the opponents defensive alignments and signals and he has been telling Brady right up to the snap what the defenses are doing. The radio contact has a time limit, I think it is 20 seconds before play clock hits zero? Anyway the extra headset has no limitation.

I will throw another in for good measure. The Patriots have been jamming and causing interference for opponents headsets in Gillette for many many years.

iced

Two big big points for me are:

1 Faulk said that the Rams had installed a few new redzone plays that they had not run all season long. Martz put them in especially for the Superbowl. Faulk said that when they lined up to snap the ball that the Patriots were calling out the play to each other. They knew what the new plays were! That was from Walsh filming the walk through.

2. Look up Ernie Adams. He has a photographic memory and is Belichecks friend. Bill puts him to use in all of his cheating schemes. Filming signals is much more effective if you have a guy with a microphone that goes directly to Tom Brady's helmet and can be used right up to the snap. Adams knows all of the opponents defensive alignments and signals and he has been telling Brady right up to the snap what the defenses are doing. The radio contact has a time limit, I think it is 20 seconds before play clock hits zero? Anyway the extra headset has no limitation.

I will throw another in for good measure. The Patriots have been jamming and causing interference for opponents headsets in Gillette for many many years.

And don't forget when they had the extra headset in his helmet that stayed on after the 20 seconds

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Another interview with the Author

Wells came out after the report and said "that he has more than enough evidence to convict Brady in a Court of Law"

Tonight I am proud to welcome SpyGate Author Bryan O'Leary to the Sports Talk Nation as we discuss not only his book "Spygate: The Untold Story," but I will get his take and analysis of the Ted Wells' report that has uncovered another New England Patriots centered scandal. Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is at the center of Deflategate, and could face a severe punishment from the NFL as soon as this week. We will talk about the latest

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/openmi...te-interview-with-spygate-author-bryan-oleary
Sorry, posted bad link. Here's interview.

[av]http://www.blogtalkradio.com/openmikeshow/2015/05/13/deflategate-interview-with-spygate-author-bryan-oleary.mp3[/av]

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Pats have been cheating for a very long time, and in numerous and inventive ways. Not written admiringly, either, but you simply have to read the book -- and Warren Sharp's website (www.sharpreport.com/) to get an idea of all of the monkey business that these jemokes have been up to through the years. Dynasty, my ass; Cheatiocracy is more like it.

When one team can win at home at the rate that the Patriots win at home -- which is way outside the bounds of statistical probability -- then, there is something rotten in Foxboro OTHER than Ernie Adams.

Adding to the Foxboro point. It's a fact that fans in Foxboro are one of the least loudest in the NFL. Brady has come out close to 20 times in his career to beg the fans to make noise.