Spruce ready to bounce back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Josh Reynolds is as close to a lock as possible to make the team.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't know if this has been said, but we could possibly carry 7 WR and only 2 RB since Tavon could fill in there should both go down. *knocks on wood*

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The wildcard is Tavon who the coaches probably view as a WR/RB/PR. In other words, his game overlaps both the WR an RB groups. Since McVay seems to like to air it out, he may keep seven WRs, with Austin straddling both the WR and RB groups.

I've made this comment as well and I believe there could be some validity to it.

We also have, in the past, held a roster spot for Chase Reynolds which is now open.

All adds up to the possibility we keep 7.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I've made this comment as well and I believe there could be some validity to it.
We also have, in the past, held a roster spot for Chase Reynolds which is now open. All adds up to the possibility we keep 7.

If they keep seven WR's this is our group.

#1 Robert Woods___#2 Cooper Kupp
DDwUOCex-pSYkd5qYlSB4faCsiw-zcxb0_ishALO_ZJmCYdnQaHcuC39cExkJQBqO_3WEw=s142
_
AMubYjhRSSqQ6I8rzBWblIshy53hrCQ5WzQpq_wOzZRw32EnBG5npR9_Ajbd8R6S5UiAPq8=s130

#3 Tavon Austin_____#4 Josh Reynolds
VoqCbeFixLLsj3ZfxxTCgO2DkQ23_if0fIOsQOFV_n7NhRRA4tJY0xT68JcXfF-zCIUuzM8=s142
_
IE737cj2d7rcWoSaJYuzG04jBCEJDCqJW_r_1kWxeZ6b8t8dgjAYtcxUGpE3w2K7mLCjzQ=s152

#5 Mike Thomas____#6 Spruce___#7 Cooper
3cH7u7lyvBCrrXomL6br739W73jvr0kvAVR-4hGl-gfaEaDcw2ul3BeAVDu4JX1FDzbw=s152
_
v4mp4EMH2Wb3RBUzWYlJ3JIfvjQo7BENU1cPtkoFA3G9PLi3CjMzKP4GHduXJhgThCUcJw=s85
__
tbHj299Pwr2fRNubzpoWqIXxpCFfhwMdnvQuYvzEuFVFzyvVTQCf7e5NvH-t3K8onAGV-w=s85

54492_comet-roll-out-t-50-tank-tanks-vk-3002-world-of-tanks_2560x1600_h.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If they keep seven WR's these is our group.

_

_

_
__

54492_comet-roll-out-t-50-tank-tanks-vk-3002-world-of-tanks_2560x1600_h.jpg

As of now; that's the 7 I'd say are top 7.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I think they ought to just move Austin to RB, which I believe he said he likes better when we drafted him, and line him up at WR occasionally. Then he's competing directly with Lance Dunbar for his spot. I just don't want his lack of WR-ness taking away a spot from our other WRs, just so that he can be the most effective as a running game decoy and punt returner. But that's just me.

Ram65

Legend
I posted this in another tread. It's was some observation from Vinny B. It might be hard not to keep all 7 if the Copper, Thomas and Spruce are showing great improvement from their rookie season.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/vinny-on-tst-with-josh-webb.49687/

13) Don't count out Spruce. He's healthy. And he had the team made last year if not for the injury. McVays type of WR.

21) McVay's passing game all about timing, route running, being in the right place at the right time. Kupp, Woods, and Spruce perfectly fit that description. And, they have terrific hands.....ball won't hit the ground very often.

Mentioned that Spruce was on the field with Kupp at the same time too. I found that very interesting. Spruce living close to the facility and having all last season to get stronger leads me to think he could play outside. He won't get deep but, find the open zones and make plays. The way McVay bunches the WR would help him too.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-nelson-spruce-wr-colorado/
Below is the PFF draft profile for Colorado receiver Nelson Spruce, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports, click here.

Position fit:
Spent 809 of his 912 snaps at outside wide receiver, but did have success on 95 snaps from the slot, so has some versatility.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With all the talk of the same 7 WRs, wouldn't it be something if one or two of the other 5 WRs (Bradley Marquez, Paul McRoberts, Marquez North, Shakeir, Ryan, or Brandon Shippen) had a really strong mini and training camp? Then what?
:banana:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With all the talk of the same 7 WRs, wouldn't it be something if one or two of the other 5 WRs (Bradley Marquez, Paul McRoberts, Marquez North, Shakeir, Ryan, or Brandon Shippen) had a really strong mini and training camp? Then what?

Would be a GREAT problem. We're due for one of those!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

No doubt @Memphis Ram... With all of the WR chatter about the usual 7 suspects, an Injury to one or two of them, or an Outstanding Camp and Preseason by one of the underdogs would easily change the projected outcome.

_

_
These 4 WR's are likely 99.9% locks
_____________________________________________________________________________________

_
__
These 3 WR's have been consistently

ranked 5th, 6th & 7th though the order of their ranking varies depending on the person.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"Cinderella invited to the Ball"

Paul McRoberts- 6'2 202 lbs Scrappy with good hands/decent 2016 preseason.
Bradley Marquez- 5'11 204 lbs Special teams demon entering the last year of his contract.
Marquez North- 6'2 223 lbs Big fellow was Injury prone in college and his rookie debut.
Shakeir Ryan- 5' 8 161 lbs Jitterbug shifty smurf made some noise at rookie mini-camp.
Brandon Shippen- 5'11 189 lbs Dolphins castoff was signed to Practice squad 12/27/16
Mystery Wideout- A new pass catcher could be added at anytime to join the competition.

mqdefault.jpg

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Thomas and Reynolds both have some size and project to X. Rams are stocked with Y/Z types. Thomas is an extremely good gunner, Reynolds a guy this staff really wanted, so for a starting point I think those two are likely to make the roster.

Cooper can't play outside. Spruce probably can't either. Also, "likely to make it" isn't saying it's for certain. Just where I think this whole thing starts. Rams have to figure out what they're doing outside on the LOS at the position IMO.

being that we're looking to play Tavon Austin outside...I honestly cant rule out any WR on our roster being able to play outside if given the chance.... Thomas does have a couple inches in height on Pharoe and Spruce but those couple of inches don't make up for the drops..

it's going to be a really interesting battle at WR...

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
being that we're looking to play Tavon Austin outside...I honestly cant rule out any WR on our roster being able to play outside if given the chance.... Thomas does have a couple inches in height on Pharoe and Spruce but those couple of inches don't make up for the drops..

it's going to be a really interesting battle at WR...
Thomas and Spruce are the same height, no? Both are listed as 6'1". I honestly think Pharoh is going to be the guy that needs to come on strong if he is to beat out Spruce. It is definitely going to be a wild camp battle.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know if this has been said, but we could possibly carry 7 WR and only 2 RB since Tavon could fill in there should both go down. *knocks on wood*
Two RB's, one FB, and Tavon could work. IDK if they want to try that though!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If they keep 7 Cooper and North will be 6 and 7. I don't think Thomas and Spruce will make the cut. North if healthy is better than Thomas and Cooper is better than Spruce.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Thomas and Spruce are the same height, no? Both are listed as 6'1". I honestly think Pharoh is going to be the guy that needs to come on strong if he is to beat out Spruce. It is definitely going to be a wild camp battle.

exactly...people are locked in thinking that Spruce, Kupp, and Cooper are all strictly slot guys.... I mean we're lining up Austin wide and he's one of the smallest WR in the league.... moth Spruce and Kupp can get open..they can line up multiple places ...they were versatile players in college and they set records in college....

the one thing I think that gives Cooper an edge I think is he has real speed..and can be a potential return guy...

but also now that we have Shakeir Ryan in camp and if he's explosive as a Kick Returner, then he needs to be on our 52 man roster....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I recommend that we not fall in love with any WR after the top 4. None of them.

Speculating or handicapping them is gonna be fun, of course, but hold off on overcommiting to any one of them just yet.

Just enjoy watching this play out.

Cause, trust me, there will be innumerable ups and downs plus twists and turns between OTA's and opening day.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta do it but ready to bounce back to what? His one or two games in preseason he produced? Have we seen anything from him that matters since he finished college? IMO he's a rookie just like this years draft class that has to prove himself to the new coaches.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just taking a quick look at the rosters of McVay's 2016 Redskins and Matt Lafleur's 2016 Falcons, it's possible that both Pharoah Cooper & Nelson Spruce might both need to come on strong if the UDFA speedster Shakeir Ryan shows out.

Why?

It doesn't look like speed was ignored on either on of those WR depth charts and both Cooper & Spruce might be the slowest WRs of the 3 team group (2016 Redskins, Falcons, Rams). Both better show out on special teams.